Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2015, 12:11 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,210,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
I don't smoke but enough is enough. Come on! Their outside! Now you want to make them go further away? The world isn't all rainbows, unicorns and fuzzy bunnies. Walking a few feet by a couple of smokers enjoying a cigarette break isn't hurting anyone. Geez!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellious1 View Post
I'm not a smoker either but you are being way too dramatic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
poor babies..smog and exhaust fumes must really spoil your day
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I agree. Get over it. We all survived people smoking inside malls, restaurants, and even airplanes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
What a bunch of crybaby, self-centered, whiny wimps we have in this country!

Oh, smoking -- it's so horrible -- oh, the horror -- oh, my health -- oh, the children -- oh!

Meanwhile, most of these complainers live in a cloud of auto-exhaust fumes.

LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead
Most of these out the door smokers are employees taking a break. If it's not in an enclosed room and you're not breathing it for hours a day nothing will happen to you. If you just don't like the smell then I'm sorry to say a car fart will put you down.
Just enjoy shopping or going to work and try to ignore the outdoor smokers. Why cause grief over a non issue. Judgement will come back and bite you in your ass. Trust me.

What a ridiculous worry.
even as a non-smoker, I agree with all of these comments. god forbid you should pass by someone on the streets and take a whiff of cigarette smoking for a couple of seconds. its not going to kill you. chances are, your morbid obesity or your tendency to be a judgmental douche is going to kill you faster than a few seconds of exposure to cigarette smoke. hell most people's physical appearance in public can be considered offensive nowadays but I aint telling everyone to put a bag over their head!

most people in America have become a bunch of uptight, whiny crybabies. no wonder we are the laughing stock of the world. if some of you folks are that sensitive to cigarette smoke to the point where you become sick & bed ridden for days then maybe you should wrap yourselves up in a plastic bubble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 12:11 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,654,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRosencranz View Post
You want to see madness in action?

Walk around a mall with an unlit cigarette in your hand or mouth.

"YOU CAN"T SMOKE HERE!!!!!"

"It's not lit. I'm not smoking."

"YOU CAN'T HAVE THAT HERE!!!!"

Did this for an assignment and it was very illuminating.
Wow, and you got out alive?
Tell me more! Did anyone try to get you arrested?

Old 12-14-2015, 12:17 PM

579 posts, read 522,753 times
Yes, people did scream that they were going to get security. I just laughed and continued to hold the cigarette. I did a lot of shrugging. Security never actually came.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:25 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,793,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
Since smokers are no longer allowed to smoke indoors in public buildings, they've been sent outside. Now many smokers go just RIGHT outside and smoke in everyone's faces as people enter or leave the buildings.

As a non-smoker I think smoking zones should be relegated to remote areas in the back of parking lots, where there are rarely ever any people.

Smokers should NOT smoke directly outside entrances & exits of buildings.

A couple times I've been in a sassy enough mood to fake a coughing/gagging fit in smokers' faces as I walked by them.

But it's no joke that I literally have to hold my breath when walking near them. Depriving myself of breathing for a moment just to get past them.

Vaping is tolerable to breathe though. Just water vapor, usually smells nice.
Here in Washington state, there's a law, BUT the thing is, the cops have to be THERE to catch the people and it's rather LOW on their lists of things to cite you for.

I remember working for one company, HR was complaining to the manager about us smoking within the zone and he told them "They get the citation, we told them not to, but that's all we'll do" HR then called the cops and then was told "Unless this is an emergency, don't bother us with this type of call"....

Old 12-14-2015, 01:53 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,527,149 times
Quote:
Okay, I looked it up on the internets -- that source of infallible wisdom to which you refer.

So how does "comparing a minor misdeed to a major one" apply to the person you accused of committing your "moral equivalence fallacy"?

Oh, it doesn't.

Thought so.
Oh well, as they say, you can lead a horse to water...........or, there are none so blind as those who will not see.

You can't have a grown up conversation with such people.

Old 12-14-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Talk about an insipid moral equivalence fallacy!

If you are not tolerating either situation, does that mean you will be trading your vehicle for a horse? Will you refuse to go anywhere near a road or highway?
It seems you have finally partially understood. You were able to spot the fallacy. Only problem is, he was using it as a mechanism to point out the stupidity of yours. Almost there!

Old 12-14-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I bet more people go and cough up a lung from the flu or cold while people are eating food. Maybe we should make all who are sick eat outside for world safety.
Just when I thought things couldn't get more asinine, the "whataboutism" plumbs new depths.

Old 12-14-2015, 03:05 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
Quote:
Smokers need to stand up for themselves.

I was sitting outdoors at a cafe having a cigarette and a man complained.

I told him "I can't smoke inside, so I'm smoking here."

"What do you mean?" he asked.

"You should go sit inside." I said.

Then he said, "Well, if it were up to me, smoking would be banned outside as well as inside."

And I said, "And if it were up to me, smoking would be REQUIRED both outside as well as inside."

And that was the end of the discussion.

He sat there, angry, and I continued to smoke.
You're lucky I wasn't there and had a fire extinguisher, because I would do what Hooks did in Police Academy 5 and spray people like you. Don't like it, smoke in areas that not for public use and clearly marked for smoking

Old 12-14-2015, 03:07 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,057,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
seriously?? you are upset that your neighbors enjoy a backyard firepit?? what about cooking on the grill outside?? how far apart are you??
Here is how this works.

If they like to cook outside on the grill there is nothing wrong with their neighbor doing it.

If they don't like to cook outside on the grill, it is repulsive and inconsiderate when their neighbors do it.

Campfires are OK, because we like campfires. Football is OK, because we like football. Fast food is OK, because we like fast food.

Old 12-14-2015, 04:08 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,423,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Here is how this works.

If they like to cook outside on the grill there is nothing wrong with their neighbor doing it.

If they don't like to cook outside on the grill, it is repulsive and inconsiderate when their neighbors do it.

Campfires are OK, because we like campfires. Football is OK, because we like football. Fast food is OK, because we like fast food.
Yep, you nailed it. Just imagine the shock when someone comes down on them for something they do that's offensive to others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates