Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 12:41 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,659,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
What a bunch of crybaby, self-centered, whiny wimps we have in this country!

Oh, smoking -- it's so horrible -- oh, the horror -- oh, my health -- oh, the children -- oh!

Meanwhile, most of these complainers live in a cloud of auto-exhaust fumes.

LOL
LOL, I agree!

I always ask this question in a smoking thread, but have yet to receive an answer:

What would these complainers choose: Spending an hour in a closed garage with a running vehicle, or spending an hour in a closed garage with five smokers?

Well, complainers???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 02:05 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,949,078 times
I'm a smoker and I try and be courteous to others around me who may not be but with that being said, the OP is ridiculous to actually start "fake coughing" around smokers or thinking that we need to further regulate this.

While I personally choose to try and be courteous about it, I would not suggest something that would require others to do the same and oh by the way, most smokers are courteous for the folks around them. The OP may have a point here, but she is going about it the complete wrong way.

Old 12-13-2015, 02:20 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,529,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
LOL, I agree!

I always ask this question in a smoking thread, but have yet to receive an answer:

What would these complainers choose: Spending an hour in a closed garage with a running vehicle, or spending an hour in a closed garage with five smokers?

Well, complainers???
They probably feel sorry for you for wheeling out the insipid moral equivalence fallacy.

Old 12-13-2015, 02:41 PM

32,672 posts, read 48,139,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
....... employers, if they chose to, should allow them a place to smoke and be protected from the weather. ......
There is nothing in any law that forbids employers from providing a place to smoke. Both of the local Walmarts have a nice covered area with picnic tables and ashtrays set up back away from the entrances. That is for their employees to take their smoke breaks out of the rain and snow and out of the way of incoming customers.

I've seen other businesses with covered areas outside with seating for their smoking employees. Nobody is trying to stop them.

Old 12-13-2015, 02:44 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,659,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
They probably feel sorry for you for wheeling out the insipid moral equivalence fallacy.
Since when are cigarettes and cars 'moral'?

They are objects, neither moral or immoral.

Do you stop breathing while driving your car? How about when a truck or school bus passes you on the highway? (now those ARE stinky!)

Since people (other than hermits living in a cave somewhere) breathe vehicle exhaust daily, it is a fair question.

Guess you can't answer, either!

Old 12-13-2015, 02:52 PM

10,245 posts, read 6,335,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It's a bit different than alcohol prohibition. With alcohol, the only victims to alcohol consumption in it of itself is the drinker. The drinker drinks and if they do nothing, they are the ones effected and that's it. Should they drive, light firecrackers or get in a fight, only THEN it becomes something effecting others. Smoking however, that stuff WILL effect you whether you have asthma, COPD, other respiratory illnesses or don't (smells, cough, etc.) even if you are a non-smoker. I use to have asthma but still have issues around people smoking for longer than say 5 minutes. Exhaust isn't as much of a problem because it isn't as constant and with camp fires, one could move away from the smoke in the wind (I did that ALL the time.) Smoking, you can't.
Have you ever heard of THIRD HAND smoke? You are going to DIE if you just smell the clothing of a smoker, even if they are NOT smoking around you. Does that terrify you too? How do you propose to stop THAT? The SMELL POLICE? lol

Old 12-13-2015, 03:01 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,484,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There is nothing in any law that forbids employers from providing a place to smoke. Both of the local Walmarts have a nice covered area with picnic tables and ashtrays set up back away from the entrances. That is for their employees to take their smoke breaks out of the rain and snow and out of the way of incoming customers.

I've seen other businesses with covered areas outside with seating for their smoking employees. Nobody is trying to stop them.
I was talking about a place inside and out of the rain and cold, just like what the non-smokers have. That should be the business owner's decision to provide that, not the government's.

Old 12-13-2015, 03:45 PM

389 posts, read 331,127 times
I use to work for a large insurance company. An older guy I worked with told me years before they worked in large rooms with rows of desks. He and a few others used to smoke big cigars at work. It must have been terrible for anyone sitting near. Big cigars smell like burning trash unless you are the one doing the smoking.

Old 12-13-2015, 03:47 PM

4,541 posts, read 1,161,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
LOL, I agree!

Well, complainers???
One will kill you quicker than the other, what the hell is your point?

Old 12-13-2015, 04:06 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,918,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
A couple times I've been in a sassy enough mood to fake a coughing/gagging fit in smokers' faces as I walked by them.

Don't worry, second hand smoke doesn't kill reliably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates