Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 08:16 AM

12,867 posts, read 9,085,451 times

Advertisements

I think there should be nice little shelters for the smokers, complete with seats and closed ventilation so they can concentrate all the smoke from one another and get the maximum benefit. In fact, maybe if then can get the smoke concentration high enough...

Frankly I don't care if you smoke yourself into a sausage, just don't subject everyone else to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 08:27 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,483,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
How about out BACK by the company dumpster?

Part of the reversed attitude for smokers is the very attitude smokers have had in the past towards non smokers. It's a conditioned/learned response. Another is phobia and people are phobic by nature.

I hate the smell walking through the smoke. I hate the odor that clings to whatever it comes in contact with. I avoid going to relatives homes for these reasons.
You can't hate the smell without being rude to smokers? Dealing with other people politely is something we learn as we grow. It's part of the art of Socialization. Many people, especially anti-smokers, have a ways to go in this department. They believe their communities/neighbors/employers should revolve around their wants and needs.

Smokers shouldn't go back to smoking wherever they want, but employers, if they chose to, should allow them a place to smoke and be protected from the weather. This is a matter of human kindness and respect for our fellow man who is also free. Government should have stayed out of it, rather than take sides and divide us further.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:45 AM

1,440 posts, read 4,420,133 times
Again we go 'round the table........here in Pennsylvania we smokers pay a state tax of $1.60 per pack. The department of revenue allocates roughly thirty million dollars of that income to the CHIP program (Children's Health Insurance Program) and another twenty million dollars to help preserve farmland. That's just the iceberg's tip, for one state.

Whine all you want, try and legislate us out of existence. Too bad, it ain't happening. They won't put the hammer down any harder than they have unless you non-smokers volunteer to come up with the missing revenue. That's roughly $1,200 a year in taxes for every smoker. Tax increase anyone? Show of hands? Didn't think so.

Doesn't anyone want to applaud us for killing ourselves so the little children can stay healthy and we still have enough farmland to produce food? Nobody?

Old 12-13-2015, 08:50 AM

16,080 posts, read 21,181,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
The majority of malls and restaurants have one of those smokers cans outside their businesses. Why? NONE of their customers smoke? ONLY non-smokers (besides employees) go eat out? Ok, they cannot smoke INSIDE any longer, now you don't want them to smoke outside either?
Those aren't there as any kind of smoke station or whatever, not meant as a convenience for smokers taking a break or anything. They are there for the serious addicts who can't bear to put out the cigarette until the last second before walking through the door, it's an effort to keep them from tossing their butts all over the sidewalks as they enter the business.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:51 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,064,237 times
Next on the anti smoke agenda.......banning campfires and backyard fire pits. {cough.....cough chough....hack}

Old 12-13-2015, 09:58 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,483,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Next on the anti smoke agenda.......banning campfires and backyard fire pits. {cough.....cough chough....hack}

Funny you should mention this. I've sat around smokey campfires listening to the non-smokers complain about a smoker lighting up a cigarette. What hypocrisy. They only do that to feel superior. It's too bad the non-smoker can't find another way to bolster his ego.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:09 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,434,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Maybe you need to get your legislator to make smoking illegal then. As long as it is legal, and other people get to benefit from the huge sin tax attached to it, then I'm sick of hearing about it.

You don't hold your breath the whole time you're walking along the street with car/truck exhaust shooting out at you? Why not? Oh, because there's not a person with a face that you can be pissed at?
Bingo! And add "person you can try to control so everything is exactly as you yourself prefer it".

Old 12-13-2015, 11:11 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,931,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Smokers should be allowed to smoke anywhere they want, unless lighting a match would cause an explosion.

Don't like it? Too bad.

Get a life, and worry about things that really can harm you.

Occasional exposure to cigarette smoke certainly cannot.
Yeah coughing and getting sick for several hours to a day from exposure isn't harm.

It is common for people like you to claim that issues here people complain about this is actually "hurt feelings" and "narcissism", but as myself and others were stating is that people are indeed affected by it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
What a bunch of crybaby, self-centered, whiny wimps we have in this country!

Oh, smoking -- it's so horrible -- oh, the horror -- oh, my health -- oh, the children -- oh!

Meanwhile, most of these complainers live in a cloud of auto-exhaust fumes.

LOL
One can say smokers are self-centered and crybabies when asked to put out their cigarettes. I actually have seen this several times when asking them to put their cigarettes out and smoke elsewhere.

Old 12-13-2015, 12:28 PM

7,652 posts, read 4,616,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It's a bit different than alcohol prohibition. With alcohol, the only victims to alcohol consumption in it of itself is the drinker. The drinker drinks and if they do nothing, they are the ones effected and that's it. Should they drive, light firecrackers or get in a fight, only THEN it becomes something effecting others. Smoking however, that stuff WILL effect you whether you have asthma, COPD, other respiratory illnesses or don't (smells, cough, etc.) even if you are a non-smoker. I use to have asthma but still have issues around people smoking for longer than say 5 minutes. Exhaust isn't as much of a problem because it isn't as constant and with camp fires, one could move away from the smoke in the wind (I did that ALL the time.) Smoking, you can't.
This is a great argument for all of the people that go to a dark corner of their home where they live alone, open a bottle of Jack Daniels and get drunk while crying themselves to sleep. Then alcohol consumption doesn't affect anyone else. When I start seeing massive selfies of people saying...look, I'm so wasted at my house, then I'll believe that drinking only affects the drinker. Until then, the boorish behavior, loud non-nonsensical talking and walks of shame are going to hold me in the, it's a social thing camp.

I used to have a drinking problem. Not me myself, but some 'wad that stole a car while drunk and ramped it over an embankment into my car with my family in it. Took me out of work for a month. I wish that @ssh@t had just blown smoke at me as he sped off.

But I'm not going to try and crusade against people getting together to have a drink. That's just as dumb as trying to curb outdoor smoking. Life is full of surprises, and you can't regulate away all risks.

Old 12-13-2015, 12:33 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,659,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anika783 View Post
I also hold my breath and try to run past the 20 feet or so of cigarette filled air, every day going to my workplace. When I lived in Philly this was impossible because walking downtown you can't help but walk behind a smoker. I'm glad to be out of there. Now I live above a smoker, again, and the management won't do anything. I am concerned about getting pregnant in these conditions and not being able to provide a smoke-free environment. It may seem like no big deal, but this effect is cumulative. It's daily exposure, in addition to exhaust fumes, in addition to bad air quality days, in addition to random carcinogens in food and what not. Cigarette smoke disables the DNA repairing mechanism which is why it is so much worse than other carcinogens. It's maddening to have to put up with this poison. It's like having your neighbors and co-workers drop toxins into your water every day. It's only a little toxic and it's their water too, so why should I mind, right?
Wow, this post made me actually laugh!

My father smoked all the time. My mother didn't have any problem getting pregnant. She had seven kids.

None of we siblings have cancer; my mother doesn't have cancer. My father died, but not from cancer (old age).

None of my children have cancer. None of my grandchildren have cancer.

None of us had a problem getting pregnant.

What in the world do you expect 'management' to do? Find another place to live, why don't you. Maybe rent a hospital room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates