Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 03:04 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,811,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
The majority of malls and restaurants have one of those smokers cans outside their businesses. Why? NONE of their customers smoke? ONLY non-smokers (besides employees) go eat out? Ok, they cannot smoke INSIDE any longer, now you don't want them to smoke outside either?

Hey, if they went into the parking lot and sat in their own cars and rolled down the windows, some people would complain that they had to pass by smoking in a PRIVATE PROPERTY car.

Maybe you people should try to BAN tobacco entirely. Force all the smokers into REHAB. Good Luck. It did not work with Prohibition. It will not work with banning cigarettes either.

The "Health Police" strikes again. Not to get OT here, but this is the same mindset that EVERYONE needs to vaccinated too to protect ME, ME, ME.
I've never seen one of those smoker things before. If you are sitting and smoking in your car, I can walk down a different aisle. If you are smoking by the door I HAVE to walk past you to get inside. If you are in your car or at the back of the parking lot, I personally would be less annoyed, because at least your are trying to not be a jerk. If you are right outside door, sorry, but you are a jerk.

And yeah, excuse me for being upset because I am doing everything I can to keep not only me, but my CHILDREN healthy and you interfere with your irresponsible behavior. When your "personal choice" can have deadly consequences on those around you, the choice is no longer personal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by City-duck View Post
You think as a non-smoker being exposed to cig smoke is bad?

Try having MCS (multiple chemical sensitivity) and being within inhaling distance of someone that is generous with their perfumes/colognes--you nearly gasp and choke, having to vacate the vicinity asap.

The f-ed up part is, once you detox your body and your blood purifies to the extent you've never experienced before you'll feel you have MCS, too.
I agree this is completely rude and I don't have this medical issue. Walking around doused in a gallon of perfume/cologne/lotion is very inconsiderate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 05:04 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,454,085 times
I am also a non-smoker, and I hate when smokers smoke right next to the entrance! They do this at my job, and it annoys me so much. They even make a little smoking station, but some smokers don't want to walk the whole 30 ft and want to smoke by the door. When the door opens, smoke blows in.

If smokers want to smoke - that is their own prerogative. However, I do not want to smell it. It's not my choice to smoke. I shouldn't have to suffer because of the choice of someone else.

My mother is a courteous smoker, she always stands to the far side of buildings. I wish more smokers were like her! She knows that it bothers people (she saw what it did to me growing up. I wish always sick!)

Old 12-12-2015, 05:17 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,905,805 times
Take it to the roof, smokers.

Old 12-12-2015, 05:54 PM

366 posts, read 494,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
I don't smoke but enough is enough. Come on! Their outside! Now you want to make them go further away? The world isn't all rainbows, unicorns and fuzzy bunnies. Walking a few feet by a couple of smokers enjoying a cigarette break isn't hurting anyone. Geez!
Except for all the toxins in the clouds of smoke they're spewing into the air around your mouth and nose.

Except for that.

I'm extremely sensitive to any kind of smoke, anyway. Makes me cough. And where people smoke a lot, a stench starts to build up because the smoke sticks to everything it touches. You can't go past the area even when no smokers are present without smelling the stink. And smokers are usually not aware of that smell because they're so used to it.

I agree on the perfume as well. I'm again, allergic to a lot of perfumes and it's just obnoxious to put too much on. Better not to use it at all. If you can smell it, it's too much.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:06 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,927,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
All the anti-smoking laws have been brought to you curtesy of inconsiderate self-centered smokers.

The very same inconsiderate self-centered smokers are going to bring down legislation upon their own heads about smoking near business entrances.
Actually, I tend to attribute these ever-extending rules to the overzealous, precious ones that stop at nothing to fulfill their self-righteous agenda. And no, I am not a smoker.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:19 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,433,569 times
I think for me it isn't so much the smoking right outside of doorways, although I do find it pretty nasty.
I worked in a hotel for a while and the housekeepers all smoked, they would take smoke breaks every few rooms they cleaned, they definitely had more than the 15 minute break we were scheduled. The head housekeeper never saw this as a problem because she was also a smoker and also most of the housekeeping staff were her family. It wasn't until corporate decided to do a spot check that anyone really did anything.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:18 PM

18,480 posts, read 31,675,094 times
I think its disgusting and annoying, and no, I dont want to smell it.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:39 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,900,884 times
Can they stay outside for a few hours after they're done too? Because they freakin' reek after they come back in.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:11 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,777,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Yes, by all means smokers need to be the legal distance from entrances.

BUT - smoking outside is like peeing in a swimming pool - or actually, the OCEAN! Think about it people - you don't own the air and you don't own the ocean - think of the level of dilution...then, GET OVER IT.
It's not diluted enough if I have to walk through their cloud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Can they stay outside for a few hours after they're done too? Because they freakin' reek after they come back in.
^^^truth!

I am very fortunate in that none of the people at my place of employment smoke, so I never have to deal with that at work. None of my immediate neighbors smoke either, so that's awesome.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:15 PM

4,541 posts, read 1,161,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
Since smokers are no longer allowed to smoke indoors in public buildings, they've been sent outside. Now many smokers go just RIGHT outside and smoke in everyone's faces as people enter or leave the buildings.

As a non-smoker I think smoking zones should be relegated to remote areas in the back of parking lots, where there are rarely ever any people.

Smokers should NOT smoke directly outside entrances & exits of buildings.

A couple times I've been in a sassy enough mood to fake a coughing/gagging fit in smokers' faces as I walked by them.

But it's no joke that I literally have to hold my breath when walking near them. Depriving myself of breathing for a moment just to get past them.

Vaping is tolerable to breathe though. Just water vapor, usually smells nice.
I 100% agree, I especially find it trashy when employees of the store are doing it for all to see, especially food handlers. Show some respect!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates