Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 11:09 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,968,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
I don't smoke but enough is enough. Come on! Their outside! Now you want to make them go further away? The world isn't all rainbows, unicorns and fuzzy bunnies. Walking a few feet by a couple of smokers enjoying a cigarette break isn't hurting anyone. Geez!
I agree. Get over it. We all survived people smoking inside malls, restaurants, and even airplanes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 11:11 AM

3,705 posts, read 4,860,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I think a better analogy might be if someone was eating sunflower seeds, and as you walk by, they decide to throw the used sunflower shells at you...the wet, sucked on, bitten empty shells. Would you be opening your mouth to catch those?
I've had plenty worse done to me then somebody tossing sucked on, empty sunflower seeds covered in spit! I accept that there are no unicorns, rainbows are always off in the distance and that fuzzy bunny just might make it into a pot of stew. So things don't get to me. None of this (popcorn, sunflower seeds and people smoking) are affecting me one bit! Yes, I am glad the days are gone that bars and restaurants allowed smoking inside (I was one of those smokers in another life), but how far do people nowdays want to push the smokers? Not on the beach! Not on the street! Not outside a building! There are even people who want to DICTATE that one can not even smoke in their OWN CAR! OR HOUSE! Where can they go? This is getting ridicules! But then again if I'm out with some friends and they decide to go outside and have a smoke, I may go out there with them and continue our conversation. They aren't bothering me one bit!

Old 12-12-2015, 11:57 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,402,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Do you want to be swimming underwater with your mouth open right next to a guy pissing in the pool?
I'm sure I's happened to both of us, we just didn't know it!

Old 12-12-2015, 12:16 PM

189 posts, read 176,684 times
I also hold my breath and try to run past the 20 feet or so of cigarette filled air, every day going to my workplace. When I lived in Philly this was impossible because walking downtown you can't help but walk behind a smoker. I'm glad to be out of there. Now I live above a smoker, again, and the management won't do anything. I am concerned about getting pregnant in these conditions and not being able to provide a smoke-free environment. It may seem like no big deal, but this effect is cumulative. It's daily exposure, in addition to exhaust fumes, in addition to bad air quality days, in addition to random carcinogens in food and what not. Cigarette smoke disables the DNA repairing mechanism which is why it is so much worse than other carcinogens. It's maddening to have to put up with this poison. It's like having your neighbors and co-workers drop toxins into your water every day. It's only a little toxic and it's their water too, so why should I mind, right?

Old 12-12-2015, 12:33 PM

10,243 posts, read 6,333,789 times
The majority of malls and restaurants have one of those smokers cans outside their businesses. Why? NONE of their customers smoke? ONLY non-smokers (besides employees) go eat out? Ok, they cannot smoke INSIDE any longer, now you don't want them to smoke outside either?

Hey, if they went into the parking lot and sat in their own cars and rolled down the windows, some people would complain that they had to pass by smoking in a PRIVATE PROPERTY car.

Maybe you people should try to BAN tobacco entirely. Force all the smokers into REHAB. Good Luck. It did not work with Prohibition. It will not work with banning cigarettes either.

The "Health Police" strikes again. Not to get OT here, but this is the same mindset that EVERYONE needs to vaccinated too to protect ME, ME, ME.

Old 12-12-2015, 12:54 PM

135 posts, read 170,123 times
You think as a non-smoker being exposed to cig smoke is bad?

Try having MCS (multiple chemical sensitivity) and being within inhaling distance of someone that is generous with their perfumes/colognes--you nearly gasp and choke, having to vacate the vicinity asap.

The [worst]part is, once you detox your body and your blood purifies to the extent you've never experienced before you'll feel you have MCS, too.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-13-2015 at 12:41 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate language.

Old 12-12-2015, 01:24 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,065,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City-duck View Post
You think as a non-smoker being exposed to cig smoke is bad?

Try having MCS (multiple chemical sensitivity) and being within inhaling distance of someone that is generous with their perfumes/colognes--you nearly gasp and choke, having to vacate the vicinity asap.

The f-ed up part is, once you detox your body and your blood purifies to the extent you've never experienced before you'll feel you have MCS, too.
Thank you! Am also one who has serious adverse effects when exposed to the toxic chemicals in fragrances. Not only does it just plain stink (chemical-based, not oil-based); the chemicals used to manufacture fragrances are extremely unhealthy for everyone.

Any product containing fragrance: detergent, fabric softener, shampoo, cream rinse, hair styling product, hair spray, deodorant, body lotions, dish soap, air freshener, etc. All of these chemical-based products are ingested through our respiratory system, or through the largest organ in our body (skin).
You Asked: Should I Wear Perfume?

Am not saying that cigarette smoke is healthy; but if someone is standing outside of a building near the doorway and smoking I don't stop and stand there and breath in the smoke because I just keep walking into the building as I would at any other time. Just walking past cigarette smoke is not going to give anyone lung cancer.

Sitting next to someone in an office or on a plane, etc., and having to ingest the dangerous chemicals in fragrances is much more unhealthy because you're stuck in that air space for much longer than just walking past someone smoking.

Old 12-12-2015, 01:26 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,402,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anika783 View Post
I also hold my breath and try to run past the 20 feet or so of cigarette filled air, every day going to my workplace. When I lived in Philly this was impossible because walking downtown you can't help but walk behind a smoker. I'm glad to be out of there. Now I live above a smoker, again, and the management won't do anything. I am concerned about getting pregnant in these conditions and not being able to provide a smoke-free environment. It may seem like no big deal, but this effect is cumulative. It's daily exposure, in addition to exhaust fumes, in addition to bad air quality days, in addition to random carcinogens in food and what not. Cigarette smoke disables the DNA repairing mechanism which is why it is so much worse than other carcinogens. It's maddening to have to put up with this poison. It's like having your neighbors and co-workers drop toxins into your water every day. It's only a little toxic and it's their water too, so why should I mind, right?
Maybe you need to get your legislator to make smoking illegal then. As long as it is legal, and other people get to benefit from the huge sin tax attached to it, then I'm sick of hearing about it.

You don't hold your breath the whole time you're walking along the street with car/truck exhaust shooting out at you? Why not? Oh, because there's not a person with a face that you can be pissed at?

Old 12-12-2015, 01:49 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,931,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
The majority of malls and restaurants have one of those smokers cans outside their businesses. Why? NONE of their customers smoke? ONLY non-smokers (besides employees) go eat out? Ok, they cannot smoke INSIDE any longer, now you don't want them to smoke outside either?

Hey, if they went into the parking lot and sat in their own cars and rolled down the windows, some people would complain that they had to pass by smoking in a PRIVATE PROPERTY car.

Maybe you people should try to BAN tobacco entirely. Force all the smokers into REHAB. Good Luck. It did not work with Prohibition. It will not work with banning cigarettes either.

The "Health Police" strikes again. Not to get OT here, but this is the same mindset that EVERYONE needs to vaccinated too to protect ME, ME, ME.
It's a bit different than alcohol prohibition. With alcohol, the only victims to alcohol consumption in it of itself is the drinker. The drinker drinks and if they do nothing, they are the ones effected and that's it. Should they drive, light firecrackers or get in a fight, only THEN it becomes something effecting others. Smoking however, that stuff WILL effect you whether you have asthma, COPD, other respiratory illnesses or don't (smells, cough, etc.) even if you are a non-smoker. I use to have asthma but still have issues around people smoking for longer than say 5 minutes. Exhaust isn't as much of a problem because it isn't as constant and with camp fires, one could move away from the smoke in the wind (I did that ALL the time.) Smoking, you can't.

Old 12-12-2015, 02:45 PM

32,669 posts, read 48,129,403 times
All the anti-smoking laws have been brought to you curtesy of inconsiderate self-centered smokers.

The very same inconsiderate self-centered smokers are going to bring down legislation upon their own heads about smoking near business entrances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates