Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2015, 06:18 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,529,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Can you answer the question?

That's OK. I know the answer. People would rather be with the smokers, because vehicle exhaust WILL kill you.

Walking 'through a cloud' of smoke will NOT kill you.
Of course I can answer the question. Anyone can. But it's a meaningless and fallacious question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 06:19 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,373,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
You can't hate the smell without being rude to smokers? Dealing with other people politely is something we learn as we grow. It's part of the art of Socialization. Many people, especially anti-smokers, have a ways to go in this department. They believe their communities/neighbors/employers should revolve around their wants and needs.
First, your response assumes I am rude to them. I am not. As for the rest of that paragraph, it's quite assuming as well. How would anyone respond to any activity that is stinky as well as unhealthy? Be nice?
Quote:
Smokers shouldn't go back to smoking wherever they want, but employers, if they chose to, should allow them a place to smoke and be protected from the weather. This is a matter of human kindness and respect for our fellow man who is also free. Government should have stayed out of it, rather than take sides and divide us further.
Businesses have already responded. Some in stranger ways than others. My personal gripe is the hourly en mass group that heads outside for a smoke break while the rest of the crew has to cover the smokers job as well as their own job. But that's another subject.

Old 12-13-2015, 06:22 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,065,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Both of my parents smoked too. All their friends and relatives smoked in our home when we were kids. The air in the house was usually thick with cigarette and cigar smoke. The entire neighborhood smoked. Everybody smoked back then. My mother is 90. My dad died a long time ago, but not from cancer or anything else tobacco related. We kids grew up healthy and strong, and none of us have any "second-hand tobacco smoke related issues". Nobody in the family has cancer. Anyone who is running away from the scent of cigarette smoke because they're scared of what it will do to them, makes me laugh my butt off.

Same here, mother smoked while pregnant, father smoked too......two healthy kids, no asthma, no allergies, no ear aches, no learning disabilities, went through measles, mumps and chicken pox with flying colors. Rarely saw a doctor. Today, at 60 and 62, still healthy.

Nowadays, hardly anyone smokes and every other kid has asthma, allergies, or a learning disability.

And, back in the day, you rarely saw a fat kid.....only had one in my class throughout grade school....he died in his early 50's, heart attack.

Old 12-13-2015, 06:24 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,373,867 times
Quote:
One MIGHT kill you, the other definitely will!

My point is so many people complain about smelling cigarette smoke, but they don't seem to complain about deadly vehicle exhaust.

Given a choice, which would you rather do?
So, why don't smokers carry catalytic convertors to breath their exhaust out? Hmmmm?

Old 12-13-2015, 07:36 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,303,569 times
Oh this thread is spiralling out of control.

All I wish for are covered, designated smoking areas far away from entrances of public buildings.

Old 12-13-2015, 07:54 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,420,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post

All I wish for are covered, designated smoking areas far away from entrances of public buildings.
What would you suggest be done in downtown areas? Streets of your city where there are many entrances to many buildings? Big box store parking lots? Your neighbor's backyard? The car next to you at the red light?

It just can't be done and at some point all sides have to bend and settle somewhere in the middle. I think smokers have bent a little more than non-smokers to this point. Seriously, never have so many contributed so much to the public coffers, willingly I might add, and been treated as if they were criminals attempting to poison the entire world.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:15 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,905,805 times
Quote:
Both of my parents smoked too. All their friends and relatives smoked in our home when we were kids. The air in the house was usually thick with cigarette and cigar smoke. The entire neighborhood smoked. Everybody smoked back then. My mother is 90.
All of this is true in my family except the last sentence. My mother died at age 50 of emphysema, courtesy of Lucky Strike. My father used to say LSMFT stood for Lucky Strike Means Final Termination.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:56 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,918,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzwell View Post
What would you suggest be done in downtown areas? Streets of your city where there are many entrances to many buildings? Big box store parking lots? Your neighbor's backyard? The car next to you at the red light?

It just can't be done and at some point all sides have to bend and settle somewhere in the middle. I think smokers have bent a little more than non-smokers to this point. Seriously, never have so many contributed so much to the public coffers, willingly I might add, and been treated as if they were criminals attempting to poison the entire world.
Exactly. When you think about it the nonsmokers could reign in the attitude just a tad and remember to be grateful to the smokers for contributing taxes. Actually with their attitudes I hope all smokers quit and then maybe the tax barons will come for something the nonsmoker enjoy. bye bye b*tches.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:25 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,934,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzwell View Post

The non-smokers bent from the 1960's into the 1990's. Cry me a river about how many smokers feel their rights are being infringed on when those with respiratory issues had to breath in smoke inside into the 1990's and 200's, even in government buildings.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:39 PM

32,672 posts, read 48,139,958 times
Quote:
.......What would these complainers choose: Spending an hour in a closed garage with a running vehicle, or spending an hour in a closed garage with five smokers?.....
Doesn't the garage have a door? I take the third choice. I am leaving and not tolerating either situation. I'm not going to lie down on the railroad track, either, if that is your next pointless question, aiming to prove that smoking is perfectly safe because it is more dangerous to be run over by a train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates