Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 01:57 PM

17,403 posts, read 11,992,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Why is it that everyone gets fired up about single moms collecting welfare or government assistance, but no one gets fired up when the same mom can't collect child support?

We seem to be directing our anger at the wrong issue. I am a firm believer that if they fix the child support system we will see great improvement in the welfare system.

Why do they not do more to collect support from dead beats? Why are the tax payers not pushing for child support enforcement to collect these bad debts?
Because one comes out of my pocket, and one comes out of baby daddy's pocket. Not my kid, not my problem. And if mom needs welfare to survive, they either picked a horrible baby daddy, or they had "living off the govt" as the plan all along.

Although, I do agree more should be done about dead beat dads. Like castration after the first "non-payment" of child support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 02:19 PM

36,588 posts, read 30,921,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Because one comes out of my pocket, and one comes out of baby daddy's pocket. Not my kid, not my problem. And if mom needs welfare to survive, they either picked a horrible baby daddy, or they had "living off the govt" as the plan all along.

Although, I do agree more should be done about dead beat dads. Like castration after the first "non-payment" of child support.
You do realize that Moderator cut: Language happens to people like lay-offs, injuries, reduced hours, right. If your working and making X, your CS is based on that X. Now you lose your job and your making y but your still required to pay X you no longer have. You think castration is the answer.

So what if your in a happy marriage and you lose your job and cant afford the rent or electricity or food for your family, should you be castrated?

I think the courts need to use a bit of logic and differentiate between those who have no intention of paying and those who are having financial difficulty and actually cant pay X.

Not that I dont think both parents should support their children but I also believe we should all be financially prepared to support our children without the income of a partner.

Last edited by Jeo123; 01-29-2016 at 03:10 PM..

Old 01-29-2016, 02:20 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,648,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
If you have more than 5 kids and are on welfare it means you need to stop having kids period. You're using the system.

I don't think you people understand how much money a single mother gets from the government for welfare for each child. Why do you think there's 6,7,8+++ kids????? It's for the money they collect
I knew a couple that bad them one helluva racket. They both worked, but at minimum wage jobs. Though capable of doing far better, they stayed by choice. They had 6 kids, and one on the way. Come tax time, their refund was almost three times what they land I , because of the child tax credit. They got a substantial windfallat the end of every year. Both drove new cars, they own a nice house, they're doing just fine, totally middle class, working for AM PM.

Must be nice to vet that km d of return on an....investment.

Old 01-29-2016, 03:02 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,821,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
My personal belief is that no woman should get pregnant unless they could afford to raise their child by themselves with absolutely no assistance at all. Besides divorce, the father could die in a car accident for crying out loud. Women need to get some personal responsibility. And yes, I am a woman.

Do you also believe no man should engage in sex unless he can afford to raise his children by himself with absolutely no assistance? It's not just men who die in car accidents. If you expect women to have this level of personal responsibility, men should be expected to as well.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:16 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,042,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I think the courts need to use a bit of logic and differentiate between those who have no intention of paying and those who are having financial difficulty and actually cant pay X.

I agree with this.

I would be sympathetic of my ex if he had an actual reason, other than spite causing him not to pay support. But when I am looking at his yearly taxable income over $100k, and he is consistently depositing $500-$900 cash to his bank account every week, I have nothing but disgust for him.

This dude has two car payments, a huge jewelry card payment, every cable channel you can have and wastes money. Like how much jewelry do you have to buy at Kay's to have a $300 a month payment? I can't imagine.

His priorities are disgraceful.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:18 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,042,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I knew a couple that bad them one helluva racket. They both worked, but at minimum wage jobs. Though capable of doing far better, they stayed by choice. They had 6 kids, and one on the way. Come tax time, their refund was almost three times what they land I , because of the child tax credit. They got a substantial windfallat the end of every year. Both drove new cars, they own a nice house, they're doing just fine, totally middle class, working for AM PM.

Must be nice to vet that km d of return on an....investment.
Return on investment?

Please... I can assure you my kids cost me substantially more a year than my tax refund.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:46 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,165,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Do you also believe no man should engage in sex unless he can afford to raise his children by himself with absolutely no assistance? It's not just men who die in car accidents. If you expect women to have this level of personal responsibility, men should be expected to as well.
Yep. Condoms are 98% effective. Any man who does not want to have and support children should wear one every single time he has sex.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:26 PM

50,923 posts, read 36,601,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I didn't ever say that but it is a fact that women often end up being a single mom, and the dad gets away with no responsibility, so if she can't support it on her own, she is the one with the problem ... just sayin ..
I never said you said it, I said they say it on threads about poor people in general. Someone always says it.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:36 PM

37,652 posts, read 46,067,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
My personal belief is that no woman should get pregnant unless they could afford to raise their child by themselves with absolutely no assistance at all. Besides divorce, the father could die in a car accident for crying out loud. Women need to get some personal responsibility. And yes, I am a woman.
What a ridiculous statement. That's like saying no one should ever take a job unless they know that they will never make a mistake.

It takes two people to create a pregnancy. It's not the child's fault that either the mother or the father may get sick, or have an accident, or have a family emergency....or ANY number of things that can happen to a person to disrupt their financial well-being. If you don't want to pay child support, you need to ensure that you don't create a child. **** happens. Get used to it.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:13 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,648,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Return on investment?

Please... I can assure you my kids cost me substantially more a year than my tax refund.
I can assure you I know what kinds cost. I raised 3. The couple I spoke of in the post , that seems to upset you (?) Were getting 25-27 thousand dollar tax returns, which is more than they brought ho.e from their jobs, a d considerably more than they paid in taxes, claiming 0. And it sounds as if you actually care about your kids, whereas they were nothing but a tax scam method, to these people. In addition to these tax benefits, these people received day cafe subsidies, food stamps a d even medicaid. Must be nice to pull down close to 50k a year, half of it in a lump sum at the first of the hear, AND still be eligible to have the most expensive things your kids need , totally paid for.

They had a pretty plunb deal going. FYI, I'm not the one you should be annoyed with. I Paris everything out of pocket for my kids, have to live quite u deer poverty level , still and probably always, because I didn't shirk. I described GBE things my ex was purchasing, earlier, under the guise of "support". How am I a bad guy here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates