Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 07:06 PM

4,802 posts, read 2,812,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Yes - you left out how they didn't go through an Industrial Revolution.
They make air conditioners.

Oh, and I notice you don't bother to list out the stuff developed by OUR military, NASA and all the German POW's we dragged over here.....point is, you are being silly to try and explain away their intelligence and accomplishments.

Now - if you want to talk about Civil Society, I think we could discuss their possible improvements. But when people throw around BS as fact, it gets deep and smells.
1. Industrial Revolution - & I'm still not sure that Pakistan has undergone an IR. IRs have favored countries that redirect capital from labor-intensive to machine-intensive - because machinery runs as long as it's fueled & maintained & is generally more efficient. Pakistan still has a massive labor force - mostly tenant farmers - who could move to more lucrative & productive tasks, if they had the education & training. There's also a question of capital formation (lending, borrowing) in Pakistan - Islam doesn't allow rent-taking, apparently. Some Islamic countries have found ways around that, maybe Pakistan can too.

Contrast the IRs in UK, most of Europe, the US, Canada - with the economies of Pakistan & most of the Middle East/Muslim nations. Pakistan has also tried to cherry pick segments of an industrialized economy - yah, they do nuclear weapons design, fabrication, mining the ore, enriching the U, shaping the warhead - lots of critical tolerances & fine engineering required there. Plus they have to keep the weight down to something that their missiles can hurl downrange.

Pakistan's economy seems to piggyback off their military - where they've put a lot of emphasis. If they could normalize relations with India, that would free up a lot of financial & intellectual capital to work on non-military projects. I think a more balanced approach to development would yield a lot more for Pakistan.

2. German POWs - @ the end of WWII, the US hardly had to drag anyone here. Werner von Braun, I believe, led a delegation of Peenemunde scientists & techs who may have had mixed feelings about joining the US, but they certainly didn't want to be captured by the Soviets. They, their families & specs, engineering drawings, models, samples, etc. gladly surrendered to the US side. The US Operation Paperclip went through Germany & Europe, offering sanctuary & work to willing German scientists, technicians & engineers. TMK, those who accepted were delighted to get out of reach of the USSR.

I've also mentioned in other posts that the US (& the West) benefited greatly from the Jewish & other scientists, physicists, engineers, chemists & etc. who fled the Nazis. A pity we couldn't have done more - offered asylum to anyone who wanted it.

3. intelligence and accomplishments - Not @ all - India has produced a long line of mathematicians, physicists, astronomers, engineers, scientists. (Pakistan used to be part of India.) Islam too has a long line of science & technology, chemistry, astronomy, mathematics behind it. With universal education, I think most countries could produce brilliant minds, & certainly Islam has generated geniuses in its time.

4. Civil Society - yep, the political process, the orderly transition of power, the rights of individuals & especially women - seem to be tough issues in Pakistan. Those can be resolved, but it's a set of issues that the Pakistanis themselves need to address. Mustering the will to do so looks to be a difficult task - but I don't know how long Pakistan can ignore half of its potential workforce.

Last edited by southwest88; 12-06-2016 at 08:21 PM..

Old 12-06-2016, 07:21 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,055,853 times
It always boggles my mind that SJWs fight so vociferously to bring in Muslim refugees. The idea that we should bring people from a culture that subjugates women and ostracizes (or worse) homosexuals is incongruous to the supposed values of the SJWs. How do they reconcile this in their minds? These are not positions held by the most extreme, but the position of the majority of Middle Eastern Muslims. You don't to go too far toward to the fringe to find positions that are far, far more extreme. While I'm sure they exist, I've yet to to meet a socially liberal Muslim.

"But, but, but white people rape too" is a bizarre response to defend people who will eventually vote to take away hard fought freedoms from women and the LGBT crowd.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:07 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,031,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
There is a lot of irony and hypocrisy behind the left's efforts to eradicate rape and sexual oppression from our society while at the same time seeking to drastically increase immigration and cultural influence from a society that is perhaps decades if not centuries behind our own when it comes to matters of feminism and women's rights. There is rape and violence in all cultures but it is ingrained deeper in some cultures than it is in others.
YES!

Today's leftists will shun the Christians who raised him/her because they're anti-abortion and against gay marriage but will rally to welcome as many Muslims as possible to our country...their parents are "homophobic, xenophobic, Islamophobic, etc." but wouldn't harm a fly, just say certain things or vote a certain way...that's "horrible," but bringing in those who KILL gay people, who would KILL a woman for cheating on her husband -- much less even think about aborting his child -- who want to kill people who don't believe in what they believe in...well, that's actually really important. In fact, SCREW CHRISTIANS, BRING IN AS MANY MUSLIMS AS POSSIBLE. It makes no sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I self identified as liberal for over a decade and had a lot of liberal college professors. The reality is many liberals are White supremacists who hold White and /or Christians to a very high standard but then have low standards for everyone else. I actually had a college class were we discussed why it was wrong for Eminem to say b*tch and hoe but it was ok for Black rappers. In class discussions where there were only Whites in the classroom it was often stated in code talk that Black people are not capable of living without govt. holding their hand and leading them. If you think White liberals can't be just as racist as any KKK member you're kidding yourself.

As the years went along it became harder for me to be a liberal because I believe all humans are equal. If you believe all human beings are equal you will hold them all equally accountable. If you believe some groups are inferior you lower the standard. The fact that Liberals are willing to surrender on gay rights and women's rights to further the lab experiment called Multiculturalism is one reason I can no longer support them. Why the mayor in Germany started telling women they had to dress more modest so refugees wouldn't rape them that was the day I stopped voted Democrat.
I love this post. I was never a liberal, but I'm glad to see a post that reflects my thoughts. I've had the same feeling so many times over. I really realized it when I had a conversation with a liberal friend about voter IDs. I stated that I didn't think there was anything wrong with it, as long as they were fairly lenient about it...aka, IDs that were expired within a reasonable amount of time, just bring in a utility bill or something with your name and address on it...and she went on and on about how it was racist toward "black people" to have rules like that.

Finally, I asked..."How pathetic do you actually think black people are? That they can't provide an ID, including an expired one, or a bill or piece of mail that went to their house?"

I know so many incredibly intelligent black people that it bothers me that I'm mentioning them by their race right now. The left is keeping minorities down, as it has for years. And one main way that the Dems keep it that way is by encouraging attacks of "racism" against anyone who isn't on their side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red as Gold View Post
I think it's actually that some people think that rape of westerner is somehow worse than rape of a non-westerner.

The common refrain is to leave the rapists over there where they aren't raping "our" people.
I don't think that's true. The United States, more than any other country that I know of, is always looking to help people in other countries. That said, we *can't* put all of our focus on people being raped in other countries. It is a horrible, horrible, horrible thing, no matter where it is happening. We have our own issues here, though. There are only so many resources that we can or should put toward what is going on in other countries, no matter how bad. No other countries are trying to "help us" with the rapes that are happening here?

Oh, and are you admitting that they are WAY more common among Muslim nations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
A lot of this does come from Europe, where the migrant issue has become so divisive that heads of state are rolling due to it -- Cameron, Renzi, Hollande, and Merkel will be next.

Americans are not stupid. They see what is happening across the pond. New Years Eve in Cologne, and the police were forbidden to allow the use of the word "rape" in their reports. Q: When is a rape not a rape? A: When it is done by a refugee on New Years Eve in Cologne. But wait -- don't the protesters call them "rapeugees"?

What is more important to the left -- women's rights, gay rights, or fighting xenophobia? Because you can't have all three. The Islamists stone women to death, practice female genital mutilation, and deny them basic education and rights that all western countries now grant them. Islamists will kill gay people, and have done so right here in the US, in Florida.

Do they all do this? No. But enough of the refugees believe in Sharia Law that we need to look more closely at the types of societies they are coming from, without being shouted at as "Xenophobes!" by the very people who supposedly stand for women's rights and gay rights.

Because after all, rape is rape, and we don't need any more of it.
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
It always boggles my mind that SJWs fight so vociferously to bring in Muslim refugees. The idea that we should bring people from a culture that subjugates women and ostracizes (or worse) homosexuals is incongruous to the supposed values of the SJWs. How do they reconcile this in their minds? These are not positions held by the most extreme, but the position of the majority of Middle Eastern Muslims. You don't to go too far toward to the fringe to find positions that are far, far more extreme. While I'm sure they exist, I've yet to to meet a socially liberal Muslim.

"But, but, but white people rape too" is a bizarre response to defend people who will eventually vote to take away hard fought freedoms from women and the LGBT crowd.
I don't get it, either. I know a few "Americanized" Muslims. One runs the store closest to my house. He's been here for 30 years. At first, I thought he was really nice...he always talked to my husband and I when we would come in together. When I'd go in by myself, though, I noticed that he had really short answers and just wouldn't talk to me at all. It took a while for me to put it together, and when my husband and I would go in together, I noticed that he didn't talk to "us"...he talked to him. One day, I asked him about it. He told me that he doesn't approve of women buying alcohol or tobacco. That was the last day that either me or my husband went in that store.

But ask a progressive...that's better than the Christians who raised them or surrounded them while growing up...some of whom might have "backwoods" beliefs but who are far more progressive and understanding than Middle Eastern Muslims...

Old 12-06-2016, 11:09 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,457,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
There's something I'm really curious about and I know that two CD posters don't speak for all relatively liberal people; why is it that "date" or "rape" safety on campus is so heavily promoted whereas focus on Muslim immigrant rape is frowned upon? I don't understand.

I have two sons in two different colleges. All of the campuses bulletin boards as well as the unisex restrooms are plastered with signage alerting the female students to rape and other harassment issues. There are meetings on the subject for female and female-identifying students.

On threads relating to Muslim rape (examples below) there are apologies for these rapes.

See 3 muslim refugee youths rape little girl in idaho.:

So I observe a glaring tendency to excuse frequently violent rapes, and take very seriously borderline situations that are almost "micro-aggressions." We need one standard for all; rape is a disgusting, vile, violent crime.
No one is excusing the violent rape. They are just pointing out that there are plenty of violent rapes here without having to create and anti-immigrant thread because of violent rape occurred.

If you want to talk about apologists and defendants of rapists, you only need to go as far as this site where plenty of men will defend that Stanford swimmer.

Btw, I am not a liberal or progressive.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:19 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,031,115 times
VIDEO: Muslims Butcher Woman By Crushing Her To Death With Giant Rocks As She Screams In Agony | Walid Shoebat

stuff like this is OK among the "feminists" because the answer is to "bring them here."

Old 12-07-2016, 05:07 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,719,160 times
oh great another muslim hating thread. Yet another person who deeply believes crime committed by immigrant is 100 times worst than same crime committed by their own kind (white American). BOO HOO to the OP, you are the one with double standard. Rape is rape, crime is crime regardless of who committees it. Does the rape change if it was done by certain group of people

The quote OP posted all say the same thing, treat the immigrant criminal as you would treat local criminal without attaching his/her race to the crime. What is so hard about that. Cry all you want but its globalization baby & everyone will be everywhere. No such thing as, my place and your place. The world is changing & you might as well change with it & the reason there are so many immigrants in USA (especially Muslim immigrants) is because USA is all up in their business booming their home and schools in name of peace. What you expect to happen when you go in to others house & destroy it. You better be willing to give shelter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates