Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 11:49 PM

35 posts, read 26,883 times

Advertisements

I didn't read the whole thread, as it was too long. My solution would be to take confiscated illegal drugs, lethally taint them and re-release them into the drug supply chain. It solves the problem one way or another. You were taught not to play in the street or with guns well don't play with illegal drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 04:04 PM

924 posts, read 751,259 times
One of the things I've done with my daughter to discourage her from experimenting with hard drugs is to bring up my brother-in-law's mother. She is/was a crack addict, and while she's not a bad person, is definitely a good example of why NOT to ever try those drugs.

Old 01-21-2017, 04:25 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane de Poitiers View Post
One of the things I've done with my daughter to discourage her from experimenting with hard drugs is to bring up my brother-in-law's mother. She is/was a crack addict, and while she's not a bad person, is definitely a good example of why NOT to ever try those drugs.
That's an excellent way to get the idea across, they can see for themselves that what you are saying is the truth, well done!

Old 01-21-2017, 05:47 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Locking up drug users for simple possession is as likely to decrease criminal drug sales as locking up freeway speeders is going to make everybody on the freeway obey the speed laws.

You have to go up a few levels in drugs because it is economically impractical to lock up all the users. Better to sentence them to drug counseling and/or community service.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:08 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,247,048 times
Whether the war on drugs is worth fighting, and worth winning, will probably be decided by politicians. Such as Trump and the Republican Congress. We will just have to wait and see what they decide. But if you analyze their personalities, etc., the odds they might want to establish a multi-million-person concentration camp in the desert don't seem so extremely unlikely as most people here seem to think. But maybe they should call it a drug camp, not a concentration camp. To not have it associated with Nazi concentration camps. The purpose is not to gas people and burn them to ashes. The purpose is to get them to stop supporting organized crime by buying and selling illegal drugs.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:28 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Locking up drug users for simple possession is as likely to decrease criminal drug sales as locking up freeway speeders is going to make everybody on the freeway obey the speed laws.

You have to go up a few levels in drugs because it is economically impractical to lock up all the users. Better to sentence them to drug counseling and/or community service.
Isn't this what we are already doing?

Last edited by Ro2113; 01-21-2017 at 11:07 PM..

Old 01-22-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Whether the war on drugs is worth fighting, and worth winning, will probably be decided by politicians. Such as Trump and the Republican Congress. We will just have to wait and see what they decide. But if you analyze their personalities, etc., the odds they might want to establish a multi-million-person concentration camp in the desert don't seem so extremely unlikely as most people here seem to think.
IMO from what I have seen expressed by Trump and Republican Congress, one of the major goals of building "the wall" is to improve interdiction.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
IMO from what I have seen expressed by Trump and Republican Congress, one of the major goals of building "the wall" is to improve interdiction.
If you get a chance talk to some ICE agents ask them about drones and tunnels

Old 01-22-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
If you get a chance talk to some ICE agents ask them about drones and tunnels
I have zero chance to discuss this subject with such people but the news coverage indicates that they have had their hands tied by the Obama administration for years.

I expect border control will become a whole new thing under President Trump, and that ICE will find much more latitude and support in interdicting illegal immigration and drug trafficking.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
I have zero chance to discuss this subject with such people but the news coverage indicates that they have had their hands tied by the Obama administration for years.

I expect border control will become a whole new thing under President Trump, and that ICE will find much more latitude and support in interdicting illegal immigration and drug trafficking.
I personally know ICE agents and none of them feels that Obama has tied their hands. You could hire 10 times as many ICE agents as there are now and narcotics will still end up in the US
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates