Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 07:47 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Whether the war on drugs is worth fighting, and worth winning, will probably be decided by politicians. Such as Trump and the Republican Congress. We will just have to wait and see what they decide. But if you analyze their personalities, etc., the odds they might want to establish a multi-million-person concentration camp in the desert don't seem so extremely unlikely as most people here seem to think. But maybe they should call it a drug camp, not a concentration camp. To not have it associated with Nazi concentration camps. The purpose is not to gas people and burn them to ashes. The purpose is to get them to stop supporting organized crime by buying and selling illegal drugs.
I think that water is largely over the dam with many states already decriming pot and accepting others as need for medical, not judicial, intervention.

I cannot imagine the Feds forcing localities and states to turn over users to them.

I know our state(s) would just stop arresting them in that case....then they wouldn't be criminals.

So unless Comrade Trump and Ryan are ready to send Federal Storm Troopers in as cops, juries and judges the status quo...which is lighter and lighter sentences and near-legalization, will likely be the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 09:52 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I think that water is largely over the dam with many states already decriming pot and accepting others as need for medical, not judicial, intervention.

I cannot imagine the Feds forcing localities and states to turn over users to them.

I know our state(s) would just stop arresting them in that case....then they wouldn't be criminals.

So unless Comrade Trump and Ryan are ready to send Federal Storm Troopers in as cops, juries and judges the status quo...which is lighter and lighter sentences and near-legalization, will likely be the case.
IMO the federal government does not have the resources to enforce marijuana laws, especially when you consider all the other manpower needs the federal government has -- and Trump has set as a goal reducing the number of federal employees by 10%. I have assumed he means primarily the federal workforce in D.C.

Note that to enforce marijuana laws the feds would have to send in federal agents to do the actual enforcement (apprehension and arrest). That just won't happen.

I don't see any chance of federal enforcement of marijuana laws in ANY state. It appears to me that enforcement of marijuana drug laws has already de facto become a states rights issue, and that the federal government has decided to not interfere with state decisions regarding pot.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:05 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,668,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
People can decide such things for themselves. However, if they buy or sell illegal drugs, that makes them depraved criminals supporting organized crime. They need to be locked up for the duration of the war on drugs. If not in concentration camps, then in internment camps. Something to keep them out of action till the war is won.
I am assuming that all you know about the drug market is what you see on TV or read someplace. I would agree that most drugs - sold on the street - are moving through a long chain of hands and are tied to organized crime. But, there are a lot of Independant 'mom & pop' type homegrown marijuana growers that keep their circle small, friends and family. No organized crime, no mob, no gangs, no cartel. Just Joe B and his honey supplementing their income just so they can put food on the table. These people are not making thousands upon thousands of dollars, and you want to lock them up?
A person who consumes a drug is only a criminal because society says so, if they are addicted they need help they are seeking comfort of some kind and thry are not getting it from thier fellow human beings so they use drugs.
I know many functional and contributing members of society who have done or do drugs. People like to party and have a good time once in a while. Some of those people are volunteers for social organizations like soup kitchens and food banks. They are good people and you are calling them criminals and think they should be locked up and sterilized. That is insanity at its finest. Locking people up will not solve anything and is a waste in so many ways. I know I don't want my tax dollars funding such a thing.

The war on drugs has been going on since the 80's. How many years is that now? If we go with your plan, people will spend a lifetime in a detention center because the war on drugs will never end.

Old 01-23-2017, 05:25 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,219,689 times
This is worth the read.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Drug use and abuse numbers are relative to economic vitality or lack there of. The article above tells of an increase in drug use and abuse. Gee, I wonder why....
Well...people are not happy.
Here is a worthy read to follow the previous.
Scientists Say This Is Probably the Real Reason Why People Have Addiction

Old 01-24-2017, 03:16 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,247,048 times
When I argue that drug users support organized crime, people arguing against me argue that marijuana is almost legal, etc. Arguing about marijuana is nonsense. This thread is about hard drugs. People who buy and sell hard drugs are depraved traitors in the war on drugs. Using marijuana as an excuse is a pathetic red herring. The same law that establishes the concentration camp should also make marijuana legal, so nobody can continue to use it as an excuse to try to lose the war on drugs.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:20 AM

You do realize that there are drugs that are basically legal heroin. All kinds of opioids are prescribed everyday. And people get addicted to them, and people lie to get more of them to sell on the streets....let's address that too.

So if someone were to grow opium poppies (for the purpose of saving money and using a 100% natural substance) and occasionally indulge in some super relaxing moments, or perhaps use it to take pain away rather than spending buckets of money on
Pharmaceutical drugs, you want to lock them up.
I find that to be a serious breech upon one's personal liberties.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:59 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
We need to understand terms here.

The lowest tier is a drug user who simply buys drugs and consumes them.

Many graduate to the drug user & small time dealer who buys more than they need and sub-distribute it to usually friend users, marks up the price and uses the profits to offset their own use.

Drug dealers, whose main involvement is selling drugs, and if stupid may be a user too. These are the people we want arrested and put in jail. However, putting one of these people in jail will simply result in another minor dealer taking over.

Drug traffickers, who are major dealers whose main interest is profit and the smart ones do not use drugs at all. These are the persons who we should put in jail and will make a major difference in curbing the drug trade.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:19 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post

Drug traffickers, who are major dealers whose main interest is profit and the smart ones do not use drugs at all. These are the persons who we should put in jail and will make a major difference in curbing the drug trade.
These are the people who we have attempted to do that to for decades and have had absolutely no effect on. For every one in jail, 10 are ready and willing to take their place. There are literally MILLIONS of Americans, Mexicans, Columbians, Europeans and others ready, able and willing to supply the demand.

And - much of this is becoming moot now that clever chemists are starting to synthesize virtually any and every compound made. They change one molecule and the product isn't illegal any longer. There are already completely legal "speeds" and "opiums" and "valiums" and much more.

In the USA, getting rid of drugs is about as silly as trying to get rid of guns. Neither will work so you must work to minimize harm from both as opposed to legislating the possession.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:02 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,247,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
In the USA, getting rid of drugs is about as silly as trying to get rid of guns. Neither will work so you must work to minimize harm from both as opposed to legislating the possession.
You can't get rid of guns because that would violate the 2nd amendment. What amendment would be violated by getting rid of drugs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates