Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2017, 01:35 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,247,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I've been down this road with you before, maybe you don't read responses to your posts? Concentration camps in the desert for people whose only crime is being addicted to an illegal substance is unconstitutional,. But have you ever asked yourself why you continue to fantasize over such a scheme?
You should read more carefully. People would be confined for their crimes, not for being addicts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 01:38 AM
eok

Quote:
So you are claiming that a person who smokes weed has to be sterilized and isolated against their will in your "special place" but for drunks it's optional? Do you realize the hypocrisy of that?
Their argument is reasonable. Legal vs illegal. It's really not that difficult to understand. People who advocate marijuana should work on making it legal, instead of working on breaking the existing laws and supporting organized crime.

Old 01-19-2017, 01:44 AM
eok

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodUsernamesWereTaken View Post
any moron can cook up meth if he doesn't blow himself to pieces, sadly.
What if someone locks him in an RV, exposed to the poison gases, and holds the door handle so he can't escape, even if he shoots the door with a gun?

Old 01-19-2017, 01:56 AM
eok

Quote:
It costs over $60,000 a year to keep an inmate in a California prison. For every drug dealer sent to prison
So the main problem is the cost of incarceration. And the reason it's a problem is because we waste the money on expensive prisons. A cheap concentration camp in the desert would be a good solution, to incarcerate a lot more people for a lot less money.

The makeup of the Supreme Court is likely to be changing a fair amount in the near future. They're likely to be in favor of doing whatever is cost-effective.

Old 01-19-2017, 02:48 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Yesterday I read about Opioids. as Id never heard of this.. I dont know much at all about drugs or addicts , Ive never touched illegal drugs in my life and never will... but I started reading about the TV show Goliath with Billy Bob Thornton and how his 23 year old PA died last year allegedly with taking this Opioids... Bily Bob on receiving his award for the show mentioned this boy in his speech... to me in a way maybe glorifying this drug... so I went on to read more about the drug.. and was shocked at the amount of pregnant women who have babies born addicts, some states like Utah it seems dont have to inform authorities about these addicted babies who are allowed home with their still addict mothers... this surely is a major crime, one mother put her ten week old baby in the washing machine with dirty clothes not knowing what she was doing... how can babies be allowed home with mothers in this condition and why is it not a crime to have a baby screaming in pain who is an addict at birth... it s appalling... let the drug takers ruin their own lives but not the life of an innocent.. Opiate Abuse is Rampant Among Pregnant Women

Last edited by dizzybint; 01-19-2017 at 03:56 AM..

Old 01-19-2017, 09:07 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Their argument is reasonable. Legal vs illegal. It's really not that difficult to understand. People who advocate marijuana should work on making it legal, instead of working on breaking the existing laws and supporting organized crime.
Um... they are working to make it legal. Moral watchdogs (hypocrites) are the ones trying to figjt the legalization of Mariljuana.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:12 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Yesterday I read about Opioids. as Id never heard of this.. I dont know much at all about drugs or addicts , Ive never touched illegal drugs in my life and never will... but I started reading about the TV show Goliath with Billy Bob Thornton and how his 23 year old PA died last year allegedly with taking this Opioids... Bily Bob on receiving his award for the show mentioned this boy in his speech... to me in a way maybe glorifying this drug... so I went on to read more about the drug.. and was shocked at the amount of pregnant women who have babies born addicts, some states like Utah it seems dont have to inform authorities about these addicted babies who are allowed home with their still addict mothers... this surely is a major crime, one mother put her ten week old baby in the washing machine with dirty clothes not knowing what she was doing... how can babies be allowed home with mothers in this condition and why is it not a crime to have a baby screaming in pain who is an addict at birth... it s appalling... let the drug takers ruin their own lives but not the life of an innocent.. Opiate Abuse is Rampant Among Pregnant Women
There is a "system" of sorts but it has alot of cracks through which alot of mothers & newborns can fall.

A test called the MeconiumSTAT can reveal any drug use a newborn was exposed to during the last trimester of pregnancy. But it has to be performed on a stool sample from the newborns 1st dirty diaper; meaning it should be ordered while the mom is still in labor. If that 1st diaper gets tossed t6hey cannot do the test.

The MeconiumSTAT is not part of a hospitals "standing orders" so many times it gets ordered based on a "hunch" which could be anything from a mothers hygeine, appearance of visitors, etc ...The most common reason for it being ordered is the mother who did not get prenatal care or CPS/DHS involvement for a previous child.

Obviously this has led to controversy because there have been accusations that it targeted minorities or socio-economic "profiling".

In Colorado, at least, a baby that tests + for drugs will result in a D&N case (dependency & neglect) being filed against the mom & most times that means the baby goes directly into foster care from the hospital.

Infants that are born addicted to opiates are usually kept inpatient & tapered off the opiate with a med called Paregoric or other subsitute.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:55 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,054,400 times
Quote:
That's just peachy, why don't you consider moving there if you think it's such a great idea?
I never said it was a great idea, but there doesn't seem to be many other good options to solve their drug dilemma.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:38 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
There is a "system" of sorts but it has alot of cracks through which alot of mothers & newborns can fall.

A test called the MeconiumSTAT can reveal any drug use a newborn was exposed to during the last trimester of pregnancy. But it has to be performed on a stool sample from the newborns 1st dirty diaper; meaning it should be ordered while the mom is still in labor. If that 1st diaper gets tossed t6hey cannot do the test.

The MeconiumSTAT is not part of a hospitals "standing orders" so many times it gets ordered based on a "hunch" which could be anything from a mothers hygeine, appearance of visitors, etc ...The most common reason for it being ordered is the mother who did not get prenatal care or CPS/DHS involvement for a previous child.

Obviously this has led to controversy because there have been accusations that it targeted minorities or socio-economic "profiling".

In Colorado, at least, a baby that tests + for drugs will result in a D&N case (dependency & neglect) being filed against the mom & most times that means the baby goes directly into foster care from the hospital.

Infants that are born addicted to opiates are usually kept inpatient & tapered off the opiate with a med called Paregoric or other subsitute.
thanks for that info christi, just makes me wonder what these poor children will be left like, or how short their lives might be if not taken into care.. terrible situation..

Old 01-19-2017, 11:48 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
EDUCATION, EDUCATION, EDUCATION!!! Schools, parents, etc!
Kids need it beat in their heads how bad drugs are and what it can do to their lives. And it needs to start at a young age! Have kids read "Go ask Alice" that will scare them from even trying drugs. They should read it in school IMO!
Education should be based on truth, not emotions. Drugs aren't good or bad, they're just drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates