Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 07:46 PM

981 posts, read 899,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
You can't compare alcohol with heroin. What dosage would you compare? For any particular amount of alcohol, there is an amount of heroin that would do more harm. And vice versa.

If you're comparing the overall harm of all the alcohol being consumed with all the heroin being consumed, that's a silly comparison too, because, obviously, many times more alcohol is being consumed than heroin.
I'm not suggesting that heroin doesn't cause immense harm, it does and I didn't mean to try to make a direct comparison of one vs. the other on an individual, I was talking about the net impact on society. I literally live in the rehab capital of the US, waking up on a Saturday morning to find a heroin addict wandering around my yard after she just shot up in my shed, and picking up bags of heroin and used needles in my driveway (just found one today), so I am probably dealing with the impact of heroin addiction more than a lot of people as it is literally in my face. My point is which you affirm, is that much more alcohol is being consumed and abused, with the net negative impact on society being much greater than heroin addiction - while heroin addicts will definitely steal they are usually less violent than alcoholics, just check the domestic abuse stats. Of course that being said, heroin addiction is at unprecedented levels and is causing major problems, which I am living with every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 07:58 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
I'm pretty sure heroin kills more quickly than alcoholism.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:13 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
What do you mean by "more quickly"? You can die of alcohol intoxication just like you can an opioid overdose. Certainly it takes more time to drink enough alcohol than it does to shoot, snort or swallow an opiod- is that what you mean?
Every year there are:
2200 alcohol poisoning deaths https://www.cdc.gov/media/dpk/2015/d...poisoning.html

12,990 overdose deaths related to heroin & 20,101 overdose deaths related to prescription pain relievers
http://www.asam.org/docs/default-sou...ts-figures.pdf

Or if you mean that you can use alcohol for a longer period of time without dying than a heroin addict can use their drug, that's probably incorrect because alcohol is the most dangerous drug around. It directly causes a plethora of diseases, from cardiovascular and neurological disorders to liver degeneration; it indirectly causes transportation accidents, increases promiscuous activities and thus the likelihood of becoming infected by a range of pathogens, and makes an enormous dent in a nation’s economy as it pays for treatment for those suffering from alcohol-related problems. What's The Most Dangerous Drug In The World? | IFLScience Not to mention the tens of thousands of accidents, both vehicle and otherwise caused by people who are under the influence of alcohol.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:24 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,055,019 times
The president of the Philippines already found a solution.
Controversial, yes, but it would be hard to get drugs when all the drug dealers are dead.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
The president of the Philippines already found a solution.
Controversial, yes, but it would be hard to get drugs when all the drug dealers are dead.
And it's hard to convince the world that you are a civilized nation when you engage in extrajudicial executions

Old 01-16-2017, 08:43 PM

981 posts, read 899,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
One of the reasons that heroin OD's have spiked so significantly, is the emergence of fentanyl-laced heroin that has hit the streets over the past two years. Not that you can't OD and die using heroin, the chance is just much higher with the fentanyl.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:47 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,055,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
And it's hard to convince the world that you are a civilized nation when you engage in extrajudicial executions
Nations should ignore what the larger world thinks of them, and do whatever they have to do to be successful. The Philippine people voted for the guy, and he's taking action to solve a serious problem.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
Nations should ignore what the larger world thinks of them, and do whatever they have to do to be successful. The Philippine people voted for the guy, and he's taking action to solve a serious problem.
That's just peachy, why don't you consider moving there if you think it's such a great idea?

Old 01-16-2017, 11:48 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,251,442 times
Quote:
That's another reason to put them in a concentration camp in the desert. So nobody will think we're uncivilized. But in any case the most important thing is to make them unavailable as a market for illegal drugs. When there is no market, the whole system, of organized crime providing illegal drugs, will fall apart and self destruct.

The important thing about the concentration camp is that it has to have space for millions of prisoners, and has to be able to keep them there securely, and keep drugs out. Prisons are very costly in cities, but a concentration camp isolated in a desert is much cheaper and easier to guard, because escaping prisoners have to travel a long way across the desert, and can be watched by helicopters or satellites, then retrieved easily when they get tired of walking.

Besides that, we presently execute heroin addicts by letting them overdose. The concentration camp would actually save their lives. Nobody can claim that's uncivilized.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:55 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,251,442 times
Quote:
That's just peachy, why don't you consider moving there if you think it's such a great idea?
That is of course a cop out. Advocating that people solve their problems by running away from those problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates