Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2017, 10:21 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,247,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Those states are only worth like 4 EC votes anyway. Also a lot of states are at least partially flyover country..poor little Hillary still lost PA because the Philadelphia vote wasn't enough to save her.

The Dems rely too heavily on the big city / urban vote whereas back in the day the Democrats always won states like WV for example.
The Democrats threw away those states. The comments by Clinton and Obama about destroying the coal industries gave Trump Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Ohio and Kentucky. And Hillary's comments about regulating fracking, suggesting that it could be banned, ensured that every state with even small oil deposits saw her as a threat to their economies. Colorado is the only state with even a little oil that she carried. And she carried no states with even a little coal besides Illinois, which has quite a lot of low-grade coal in the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 10:26 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Baustian View Post
The Democrats threw away those states. The comments by Clinton and Obama about destroying the coal industries gave Trump Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Ohio and Kentucky. And Hillary's comments about regulating fracking, suggesting that it could be banned, ensured that every state with even small oil deposits saw her as a threat to their economies. Colorado is the only state with even a little oil that she carried. And she carried no states with even a little coal besides Illinois, which has quite a lot of low-grade coal in the south.
I did not know Hillary wanted to destroy the oil and gas industry too...what an idiot she is.

The economy is doing well partially because of the oil and gas industry.. it's created thousands of jobs in my area.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:30 AM

35,016 posts, read 16,972,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
No, I do not want to give the current crop of politicians the authority to recommend changes to our Constitution. No, I do not trust any of them! Nor do I trust the "Activists" that are crying for change!
There are no Ben Franklins or George Washingtons among our current politicians. And even they got a bit carried away with minor revisions on the Articles of Confederation. Though the Constitution has, by and large, worked out well.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:36 AM

35,016 posts, read 16,972,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Baustian View Post
And Hillary's comments about regulating fracking, suggesting that it could be banned, ensured that every state with even small oil deposits saw her as a threat to their economies. Colorado is the only state with even a little oil that she carried. And she carried no states with even a little coal besides Illinois, which has quite a lot of low-grade coal in the south.
I did not know Hillary wanted to destroy the oil and gas industry too...what an idiot she is.

The economy is doing well partially because of the oil and gas industry.. it's created thousands of jobs in my area.
The economy is also doing somewhat well because of low oil prices. We do a lot better with gasoline jumping between $2.19 and $2.89 a gallon (the latter because of the hurricanes, before them it was around $2.43 a gallon in my area) than with gasoline jumping between $3.00 and $4.50 a gallon. High oil prices act with the effect of a huge tax increase on the economy.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:51 PM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Yes, and? If we were a true democracy we would vote on every law/legislation that exists in this country. Direct election of the president doesn't preclude being a "democratic republic."
Exactly.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:04 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,137,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Ah, yes, "MOST Americans"...
Then why hasn't there been a massive letter writing campaign to Congress demanding that a limited Constitutional Convention be called to change the EC system to direct vote? Could it be that "MOST Americans" actually do not want it changed, or is it because "MOST Americans" do not trust the government to only change the EC system and not change any other part of the Constitution (parts of the Bill Of Rights, perhaps?).
No, I do not want to give the current crop of politicians the authority to recommend changes to our Constitution. No, I do not trust any of them! Nor do I trust the "Activists" that are crying for change!
Way to read my post Yes, MOST people-in polls from 1948-2013 anywhere from 69-86% of those polled were in favor of abolishing the EC. This is from numerous years, decades, generations, etc and was fairly consistent across all political stripes.

As I said, the reason that there wasn't a grassroots effort to change it is that throughout that entire time the EC exactly mirrored the popular vote. Why spend a bunch of time trying to change something that, while an anachronism, wasn't adversely affecting the electoral process?

I'm not sure how you can ask, "Could it be that MOST Americans actually do not want it changed" when I linked you evidence showing you that you are not correct in that assertion.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:07 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,824,019 times
No it is working just as the founders intended. it prevents the east/west coast mega cities from running the country and ignoring fly over country.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:05 PM

586 posts, read 314,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
I'm not sure how you can ask, "Could it be that MOST Americans actually do not want it changed" when I linked you evidence showing you that you are not correct in that assertion.
Twitter as "evidence"? Not so much.

Old 09-27-2017, 02:04 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,519,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
No it is working just as the founders intended. it prevents the east/west coast mega cities from running the country and ignoring fly over country.
There is a slight hitch in your theory of Founders' intent: there was no West Coast when they agreed to the Electoral College. Nor were there methods of human flight. Almost all of the States were on the East Coast, in fact. Pennsylvania is on the Delaware River's tidal arm, but the other 12 original States were on the East Coast. The first fully-non-coastal State to join the Union was Vermont, in 1791--more than two years after the Constitution was ratified.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:10 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,247,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
There is a slight hitch in your theory of Founders' intent: there was no West Coast when they agreed to the Electoral College. Nor were there methods of human flight. Almost all of the States were on the East Coast, in fact. Pennsylvania is on the Delaware River's tidal arm, but the other 12 original States were on the East Coast. The first fully-non-coastal State to join the Union was Vermont, in 1791--more than two years after the Constitution was ratified.
During the debate at the Constitutional Convention, Virginia and other southern states did not want to be ruled by New England, and New Englanders did not want to be ruled by Virginia.

So a system was created where no single state or section of the country could dominate all the others. That system is not broken so it does not need to be fixed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates