Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2017, 01:27 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,918,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I'm outa here because people still won't/don't differentiate between teaching good behavior and something different, violence. Talking about beating, whipping has no place being compared to a simple little spanking.

And I was spanked but have never hit anyone. I do not hit my dog. I never hit any of my cats. People who were spanked with proper control (not "hit" or any of the rest of this exaggerated nonsense) do not going around hitting other people when they grow up. I am non violent. If kids had more discipline these days, maybe we wouldn't be losing so many to drugs, to suicide, and so many lost, confused, messed up kids. Who raised these troubled kids? Helicopter parents. Parents who took them everywhere, gave them everything.
Afraid to say the word "no."

Carry on discussing beating and whipping.
I suspect you're leaving because you don't want to or can't explain why you think inflicting pain is necessary to "teach good behavior". Or perhaps because you think spanking isn't painful. It is painful. I think causing pain in the service of getting someone to do what you want them to do is violence. I understand there are varying levels of violence, and spanking is one of the mildest, but I disagree that it isn't violent in the least.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:44 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
so we all sit back and do nothing if we know the next door neighbour beats his child with a belt.. come on..
That is NOT what I said! "Beating" and "whipping" are CPS reportable offences. I have, as a mandated reporter, and a concerned citizen, reported child abuse.

Old 08-13-2017, 04:27 PM

510 posts, read 370,532 times
One can go to prison for abusing a pet, so one might assume the same for abusing a child. I suppose the opposite of punishing bad behavior is rewarding good behavior. You were whipped for almost nothing & now want to continue the tradition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
Do you think that disciplining children should include some sort of physical punishment? I heard a lot growing up "spare the rod and spoil the child". I was a well behaved child for the most part but still received my fair share of 'whippings'. Whippings were not the only form of punishment used and I do not feel as though I was abused.

Is it acceptable to physically discipline your children in a reasonable manner or is this type of punishment completely archaic and off limits? If you do not discipline your children physically what are the best ways to correct poor behavior? Lets debate...

Old 08-13-2017, 04:32 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,037 times
I'm reasonably sure at this point that physical punishment has been scientifically proven to generally be ineffective and backfire except in all the worst cases: you have to lay hands on the child to prevent something terrible from happening, or the child is seriously mentally ill, and has to be physically restrained (not beaten.)

Whipping and beatings are totally out; a reasonable spanking is still to be discouraged, IMHO, unless it is the only way.

Old 08-13-2017, 06:12 PM

554 posts, read 608,315 times
In Texas, corporal punishment of a child is legal. It becomes illegal when "bodily injury" results. The state Attorney General's web site offers advice about when discipline becomes abusive:

"Spanking with the bare, open hand is least likely to be abusive; the use of an instrument is cause for concern. Belts and hair brushes are accepted by many as legitimate disciplinary "tools," and their use is not likely to be considered abusive, as long as injury does not occur. Electrical or phone cords, boards, yardsticks, ropes, shoes, and wires are likely to be considered instruments of abuse."

Further:

"Finally, and most important, punishment is abusive if it causes injury. A blow that causes a red mark that fades in an hour is not likely to be judged abusive. On the other hand, a blow that leaves a bruise, welt, or swelling, or requires medical attention, probably would be judged abusive."

As of this date, the corporal punishment of children is legal in all 50 states, with some states outlawing its use only in schools.

I've raised a few rowdy boys. Sometimes a bare ***-whipping with a leather paddle was necessary. It hurt like hell but there were no marks, bruises, or welts. The boy in question at the time most definitely learned a lesson and never did/said the offense again. All are now in college or have graduated; all are well-adjusted. Do I regret it ? No.

Last edited by sibelian; 08-13-2017 at 07:20 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 08-13-2017, 07:55 PM
Status: "In the words of Steve Winwood, Roll With It!" (set 23 days ago)

296 posts, read 217,211 times
I had an uncle who was born in 1927, and I heard his dad would strap him to a post and give him lashes with a strap when he misbehaved.

I'm not so sure how well that worked.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:19 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,045,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
I'm reasonably sure at this point that physical punishment has been scientifically proven to generally be ineffective and backfire except in all the worst cases: you have to lay hands on the child to prevent something terrible from happening, or the child is seriously mentally ill, and has to be physically restrained (not beaten.)

Whipping and beatings are totally out; a reasonable spanking is still to be discouraged, IMHO, unless it is the only way.
So many people have stated this but I have yet to see any legitimate scientific proof of this. Many of those "studies" are so biased that all the examples should be thrown out the window.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:20 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,045,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid America Lifer View Post
I had an uncle who was born in 1927, and I heard his dad would strap him to a post and give him lashes with a strap when he misbehaved.

I'm not so sure how well that worked.
That is a too extreme example and is unconditional ABUSE.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:24 PM

691 posts, read 419,387 times
a stand point that has been proven many times in real life ( not in thought or on paper or from a person you knew but what each of us have seen)

include reasonable physical discipline when they are young and you dont have to continue it when they are older.

it is a gear in the " fear of the consequences for my actions" machine

Old 08-13-2017, 08:28 PM

691 posts, read 419,387 times
isn't it true that kids usually dread the fear of pain more then the strike?

that you strike them once to let them know you will strike them and simply a threat of a arse warming will get them thinking twice.

If the child has been hit and no longer cares about being hit... they've been hit too often over too many things
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates