Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2017, 09:59 AM

3,614 posts, read 1,736,140 times

Advertisements

The snow flakes on here denouncing physical and embarrassing disciplining of children will be the same ones on the parenting forum at some point crying that their kid is out of control and they can't figure out why. You reap what you sow people, you reap what you sow.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:16 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
We shouldn't have to play semantics but apparently we do, because the complaint by many posters here is exactly that these terms are being used in a "broad & encompassing" manner while the one defining word: punishment ... is ignored.

Implying that a word or term has dual meaning in ignorance of the semantics is ... propaganda.

You can push somebody. You can also push somebody out of the way of an oncoming train.
I don't know why you quoted my post, as none of the points you're trying to make here are connected with what I stated. I didn't imply that terms have 'dual meaning' - in fact, I quoted entire definitions of words to avoid misconceptions and ambiguities.

Spanking, slapping, smacking etc. are all ways of hitting, the very definitions of these words include the word 'hit' - I said nothing of punishment, or push. Talk about propaganda.

My quoted post was in response to your mocking one, where you presented made up situations and replaced hit with spank. Hence, you brought semantics into this debate. It came off as a disingenuous attempt to minimize the value of the word spank. No one said the two words mean exactly the same thing; despite that, you attempted to distort with those silly scenarios. If you don't accept that spank:hit as apple:fruit or poplar:tree, then you can just stop responding to me altogether, as we are in different realms of understanding.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:57 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
The snow flakes on here denouncing physical and embarrassing disciplining of children will be the same ones on the parenting forum at some point crying that their kid is out of control and they can't figure out why. You reap what you sow people, you reap what you sow.
And some people who beat their children will wonder why, years later, their children severs all ties with them.

You reap what you sow.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:07 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,751,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post

"My dad used to drink too much & would come home & spank my mom"

I've been guilty of this one on a few occasions but she never seemed to mind.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:55 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,676,653 times
My assorted, random thoughts:

No parent has it all figured out (including me in these assorted , random thoughts, which I admit are just my opinions).

What works for my child may not work for your child.

There is a world of difference between an angry, abusive beating, and a calm spanking and discussion of the wrong behavior. Posters who are confounding the two are being ridiculous. I would never say point blank that the latter is always wrong, and anyone who does is a bit too full of themselves.

Posters who say things along the lines of "would you spank another adult?" are being ridiculous. We don't put other adults in time out or give them a bedtime.

A small amount of pain as part of a calm, controlled spanking, to me, is no different from the necessary pain of removing a splinter, or an internal pain that signals something is wrong. Not all pain is inherently bad. Pain can save a life.

Spanking should not be the first or only tool in a parent's assortment of disciplinary techniques, but when used as part of loving instruction, it may be the best tool in certain situations.

In my opinion.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:08 PM

190 posts, read 167,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
And some people who beat their children will wonder why, years later, their children severs all ties with them.

You reap what you sow.
Yep, and when their kids don't visit, move thousands of miles away, and finally put them in the cheapest nursing home available, and they whine about it on CD - they will never make the connection.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:37 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,146,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
and wasnt momma sweet , bugger all funny about hitting children.
I thought Scots knew a thing or two about sarcasm, hyperbole, exaggeration, etc.
Guess I was wrong... or are you one of those exceptions?

And yes, words do have meanings, many times with differing interpretations, but the definition you ascribe the the word "beat" is NOT the the same one in which 98% of the people in here in support of corporal punishment are using.

So when you state that a person "beats' their child, you are stating something that does NOT happen in 98% of the cases. But the word "beat" sure sounds good (or bad) in terms of defending your own point of view... even though that is NOT was is occurring.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:32 PM

903 posts, read 583,423 times
Controlled spankings yes. The rest, no. Sometimes, a good swat is all of the correction that is needed.

cd :O)

Old 08-16-2017, 05:51 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
When words don't work, a paddle does.
This is the heart of the matter, in one sentence.

Those who refuse to spank when other methods have been exhausted do a diservice to the child, themselves, and society in general - but at least they feel good about themselves for it.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:00 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The law does have something to say about what happens within the "nuclear family". I suppose people involved in incest could use the same argument you are trying to use with severe corporal punishment.
Apples to oranges. Incest is not even close to being a form of punishment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates