Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2017, 07:01 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,204,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
This is the heart of the matter, in one sentence.

Those who refuse to spank when other methods have been exhausted do a diservice to the child, themselves, and society in general - but at least they feel good about themselves for it.
As do those who only spank when it becomes clear it doesn't work.

BTW, you just quoted someone who said children are awful so I would take their words with a grain of salt.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:01 PM

50,776 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Apples to oranges. Incest is not even close to being a form of punishment.
We're not talking about apples and oranges. We're talking about human beings. Extremes are RARELY needed. And that's true whether we're talking about corporal punishment or capital punishment, and I find it interesting that Texas seems to be a "capital" of both (the second highest execution rate and the state where corporal punishment is most common). What is it that Texans so love about punishment? And I would have to say that it doesn't work well since Texas is high in corporal punishment and high in incarceration.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:10 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,539,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
"hitting a child for playing with daddys gun".......Im out of here,,now Ive heard it all....... Ive now realized how crazy some comments are on here.. there really is a big problem on here.. why not lay into daddy.... What are you on about comparing animal behaviour with a human.... animals cant talk, we can, we can communicate with our children before hitting out at them....
Oh don't worry, I didn't just "hit out at my kids" I talked to my children and told them why they got spanked. Most times they KNEW why. Yes, I'm comparing animal behaviour with humans because as I pointed out, we ARE animals, just more intelligent (although sometimes I don't agree with that statement )

Re: a child with daddy's gun: First of all, YES lay into daddy!! (I said that in other words in my first post) BUT Daddy sometimes forgets to lock it away. THAT is the main reason I SO dislike the USA's "right to bear arms". Too many daddy's and mommy's don't keep their guns safely locked away and kids kill themselves or other people accidentally.

Yes, you're darned right a child should be spanked for playing with their father's gun IF they've been taught not to touch it. What you are suggesting that the child doesn't know Daddy has a gun, so if he found it he shouldn't be spanked for touching it? That is all ass-backwards.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:24 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,735,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
And some people who beat their children will wonder why, years later, their children severs all ties with them.

You reap what you sow.
I kind of agree with you I cut ties with my Mother for the most part not because she savagely beat me but because she was a crazy *****. That being said I regretted how I treated her later in life but, I got over it once I pulled the plug on her.

I don't condone those types of daily savage beatings ever! I grew to enjoy them. Which I'm guessing was the opposite effect my Mother was trying to get out of them. Anyway, sometimes **** happens and you gotta lay a beating on your kid. I'm not advocating a beating within an inch of their lives either. You reserve those for the people that owe you money and won't pay. See, if you kill that person you will never get paid. But, sometimes you gotta toss a body in the river to get the point across so your other clients know it's a possibility. It's a motivation factor. Same with tossing a beating on your kid. Just enough to motivate them to behave more. At least that's what my Father used to say...

Old 08-16-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The law does have something to say about what happens within the "nuclear family". I suppose people involved in incest could use the same argument you are trying to use with severe corporal punishment.
WTF!? This says all sorts of creepy things about you MOFO.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:24 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,890,151 times
If we're going to talk about how how parents who spank create violent children, then I think we have to bring another element into the conversation. You guys mentioned TV. How do we know that spanking creates violent children and it isn't something the stuff on TV that creates violent children instead?

I thought I read something a long while back about one of the last places in the US or Canada to finally get TV. A couple of months later they were having unprecedented incidents of children who were now hitting, fighting, and stealing, from what I remember.

If I can find the info about that, I'll post it.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
If we're going to talk about how how parents who spank create violent children, then I think we have to bring another element into the conversation. You guys mentioned TV. How do we know that spanking creates violent children and it isn't something the stuff on TV that creates violent children instead?

I thought I read something a long while back about one of the last places in the US or Canada to finally get TV. A couple of months later they were having unprecedented incidents of children who were now hitting, fighting, and stealing, from what I remember.

If I can find the info about that, I'll post it.
Just like with the ipad you gotta monitor them. I was watching the news today and they were replaying the riots in VA over and over again and I changed the channel each time. I don't want my 5 year old being exposed to such violence.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:44 AM

2,818 posts, read 1,551,228 times
Physical punishment is a sign of a parent, not a child, out of control.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:52 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,738,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Oh don't worry, I didn't just "hit out at my kids" I talked to my children and told them why they got spanked. Most times they KNEW why. Yes, I'm comparing animal behaviour with humans because as I pointed out, we ARE animals, just more intelligent (although sometimes I don't agree with that statement )

Re: a child with daddy's gun: First of all, YES lay into daddy!! (I said that in other words in my first post) BUT Daddy sometimes forgets to lock it away. THAT is the main reason I SO dislike the USA's "right to bear arms". Too many daddy's and mommy's don't keep their guns safely locked away and kids kill themselves or other people accidentally.

Yes, you're darned right a child should be spanked for playing with their father's gun IF they've been taught not to touch it. What you are suggesting that the child doesn't know Daddy has a gun, so if he found it he shouldn't be spanked for touching it? That is all ass-backwards.
Have you re read what you just typed....did you talk to them before or after they were spanked, as either way its terrible..... "Now Im about to hit you hard... it will probably upset you and make you cry or scream.. but it has to be done.. you touched daddys gun that isnt a toy ye know.. it was lying on the table as Id left it there.. and for that your getting taught a lesson.." or wait till you catch the child with the weapon and lay into him before explaining why you were a fool, oops he or she was the fool...Happy spanking father of the year.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:57 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,046,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Have you re read what you just typed....did you talk to them before or after they were spanked, as either way its terrible..... "Now Im about to hit you hard... it will probably upset you and make you cry or scream.. but it has to be done.. you touched daddys gun that isnt a toy ye know.. it was lying on the table as Id left it there.. and for that your getting taught a lesson.." or wait till you catch the child with the weapon and lay into him before explaining why you were a fool, oops he or she was the fool...Happy spanking father of the year.
How about talking to them (telling them what they did wrong and WHY they are being spanked) while you are in the process of spanking them? I already know what your answer is since you aren't an advocate of ANY type of physical punishment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates