Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2017, 09:03 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,916,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Isn't a fear of punishment the basis for society and their laws when they are broken? Do you not believe in being "punished" if you break a law? Whether incarceration or paying a fine (and in some societies, physical punishment)? Shouldn't "fear of punishment" start at home when the child is young?
Yes, but the issue is whether that punishment should be physical violence or not. In the USA we don't allow physical violence (whippings, beatings, etc.) as a punishment for breaking laws (death penalty being the exception). So why is it okay to use physical violence on children but not on anyone else?

Old 08-25-2017, 09:20 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,919,512 times
Quote:
Isn't a fear of punishment the basis for society and their laws when they are broken? Do you not believe in being "punished" if you break a law? Whether incarceration or paying a fine (and in some societies, physical punishment)? Shouldn't "fear of punishment" start at home when the child is young?
No. The basis for modern society is cooperation and mutual respect. Fear of punishment is the reason sociopaths don't commit more crimes.

I certainly believe in punishment for breaking the law, or transgressing a rule at home, but I don't think that should be the motivating factor. Otherwise, people will just do whatever they think they can get away with.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:47 PM

2,309 posts, read 900,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
This is an utterly ridiculous argument. Do you hit your workmates so that they respect you? Do you hit your wife/husband to gain respect? Why do you only hit children? Is it because they cannot defend themselves?
Well for one I don't have children yet. For another, the reason I would spank my child but not my workmates is because at that age, that's the main thing they understand. I hate using anecdotes but when I was growing up, I didn't understood why throwing computer equipment off of a three story window was a bad thing (true story BTW). However I did understood that if I ever do that again, my bottom is going to be sore after my dad found out what happened. Also for that I wasn't allowed to get new toys until we moved to the US (which wasn't too far away at the time). However that wasn't the thing that kept me from doing it again. Spankings for me stopped whatever behavior I was doing. Of course as I got older, I understood the why behind the do's and don't's and spankings became less and less.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I dont give a rats arse what article you send me , grow up..Im having my tea and toast, much more important than reading your trash.
So rather engage in debate, you rely on emotion and insults.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:29 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,045,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
No. The basis for modern society is cooperation and mutual respect. Fear of punishment is the reason sociopaths don't commit more crimes.

I certainly believe in punishment for breaking the law, or transgressing a rule at home, but I don't think that should be the motivating factor. Otherwise, people will just do whatever they think they can get away with.
Well the motivating factor is in the eye of the beholder. Cooperation and mutual respect starts from parenting and teaching at a very young age, and in today's society, even that is questionable unfortunately. The justified reaction to wrong doings should be some sort of punishment no matter who you are or where you live. Whether you choose to see what you can "get away with" leads me back to parenting and teaching at a very young age which includes INTEGRITY.

Old 08-26-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
Well for one I don't have children yet. For another, the reason I would spank my child but not my workmates is because at that age, that's the main thing they understand. I hate using anecdotes but when I was growing up, I didn't understood why throwing computer equipment off of a three story window was a bad thing (true story BTW). However I did understood that if I ever do that again, my bottom is going to be sore after my dad found out what happened. Also for that I wasn't allowed to get new toys until we moved to the US (which wasn't too far away at the time). However that wasn't the thing that kept me from doing it again. Spankings for me stopped whatever behavior I was doing. Of course as I got older, I understood the why behind the do's and don't's and spankings became less and less.
When you do eventually have children (god help them) then you will hopefully realize that they understand a lot more than you think and that physical violence is far from the only form of punishment and far from the most effective form of punishment.

Old 08-26-2017, 01:30 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,045,192 times
Quote:
When you do eventually have children (god help them) then you will hopefully realize that they understand a lot more than you think and that physical violence is far from the only form of punishment and far from the most effective form of punishment.
How do you know it is far from the most effective form of punishment? That is what gets me about these discussions. Don't try to state something as a fact when many in this thread have said that it was/is effective in their situations. If you are going to make a statement like that, at least say "in MY opinion" or "from MY experience".

Old 08-26-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
How do you know it is far from the most effective form of punishment? That is what gets me about these discussions. Don't try to state something as a fact when many in this thread have said that it was/is effective in their situations. If you are going to make a statement like that, at least say "in MY opinion" or "from MY experience".
There is tons of scientific evidence to support my point. Here are but a couple.

Key points

Numerous studies have found that physical punishment increases the risk of broad and enduring negative developmental outcomes.

No study has found that physical punishment enhances developmental health.

Most child physical abuse occurs in the context of punishment.

A professional consensus is emerging that parents should be supported in learning nonviolent, effective approaches to discipline.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3447048/

Stacy Drury, a professor of psychiatry and behavioral science at Tulane University, told the New Republic, “The goal of discipline, which actually comes from the Latin root meaning ‘to teach,’ is to change behavior. And physical discipline across many, many, many studies is ineffective at changing behavior and it’s ineffective for many reasons ... corporal punishment actually teaches children is that aggression is an acceptable method of problem solving.”

What Science Says About Using Physical Force To Punish A Child | HuffPost

Old 08-26-2017, 02:34 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,919,512 times
Quote:
In freshman (high school, not college) English, we learned that prefacing everything you write with "in my opinion" is the sign of a weak writer. We understand no one here represents anything other than their own opinion.

Even then, it's more than just a single opinion. I'll assume you've missed the links to numerous academic studies that have demonstrated in a more rigorous way that spanking is less effective than other, non-physical forms of discipline.

Old 08-27-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:
I never said it was the only form of punishment. However it is an effective form.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates