Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2017, 12:31 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,817,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
a child that really needs it....so what made this child into the little monster he might be....I know that some children can take it out on a parent.. especially a parent with many children and worries.. but keeping a child in away from friends or taking away computers etc solves problems more than hitting ever does.. When my own kids were young, I also did things wrong.. I admit to that.. I shouted a lot which can be bad to for children so I to got it wrong..but Ive seen a parent hit a child for nothing , just because things werent going their way, maybe stress, worries.. but small people arent just there for our convenience to hit out at like a punchball.. I was standing behind a mother in a supermarket who had hold of her daughters hair, a girl about seven... and I knew by the girls reaction that the mother was twisting her hair.. the girls face was red and she was staring up at the mother...plainly terrified.... but there was nothing to prove. no marks on the girl but she was still inflicting pain on the child. why are some parents so cruel and perverted, or were they treated the same ......
Now hitting a child for nothing, I'd consider abuse, and as far as that mother, that kid probably did something and with such new age parenting b/s if it were the 90s she'd be getting a spanking, but now, you can't even give your kid an ugly look without some nosey meddling ingrate calling up cps. So yeah you gotta ninja discipline the kid covertly because repeatedly saying the same thing over and over, after giving the speech in the car and before leaving the house apparantly didn't cut it.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:49 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
My dog got spanked and everybody elses I knew with a dog did. She stopped getting spanked when she didn't need it...before most kids stop needing it; at three.
I have a dog whos never been hit... and never will be..

Old 08-22-2017, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post
My daughter tried that once. We were atthe pool, and this one little boy kept screaming in my ear while he was splashing around. I am very sensitive to noise, so my adult daughter asked him to please stop yelling in my ear. Well, his mother heard this and went ballistic. She started yelling "Don't tell my kids what to do", and this started a screaming contest between her and my husband. It was ugly.

I don't think it is a good idea for anyone to tell someone else's "special snowflake" what to do unless they are putting themselves in danger. These days, parents seem to think it's cute when their kids are out of control, disruptive or destructive.
I agree. I alzo want to add that a child needs to respect an adult, and that parent should have taught her lil seed better than that. Both of them need a spanking. On the other side if the kid is just playing and screaming in a public pool and not purposefully screaming in your ear like a drill sargeant, then move. But a good parent would notice what appears to be an invasion of public space and told their kid to move on somewhere.

I was at this thing not too long ago in line for food and the booth was near where I was parked. We were by my car and this teenager tossed tossed his near empty drink over my car getting soda all over it. Now what I wanted to do was slap the kid, but I stated what he did, and he apologized. His mom said nothing, I'm guessing he was raised right- with spankings, and if it went another way it wouldn't have bode to well for him.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
And how did your kid turn out? I have seen this method of parenting. The kids grow up to have no moral compass and are out of control. Several friends of mine went this way. One kid is in prison the other is dead. All that talking, caring and understanding and being a friend to their children didn't work out. My Son said to me the other day that I was his best friend and he asked me if I was his. I told him that I'm his parent first and his friend second. If I was his friend I wouldn't be a good parent. I have plenty of friends, I only have one Son and it's my obligation to use every tool at my disposal same as my parents did to me to ensure he is able to stand on his own two feet when he is an adult. Frankly, anyone who isn't willing to use a all their tools should give their kids up for adoption.
I am not boys friend, I am their father. I gave them life, food, a home, unconditional love, and anything else I was able to do before they were stolen from me. I'm better than a friend, I'm their damn parent. And any veteran parent knows you don't truely stop taking care of your kids, in one way or another, they'll need your care and love. friends come and go. My sons are forever mine until our next lives. I'm everything a friend can never be.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Not a very funny joke.
Yeah it was...

Old 08-22-2017, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I would ask any parent who supports corporal punishment, would they accept the same treatment themselves? For instance, if they get a speeding ticket or other moving violation, will they submit to an authority figure bending them over and swatting their rear ends? With an open hand, a wooden spoon, a leather paddle, etc? If they commit perjury, can the judge fill their mouths with soap? When they miss a deadline at work, would they allow their boss to spank some sense into them?
I'll let a cop give me a spanking if it means I don't get a citation...well come one mr officer...

Old 08-22-2017, 09:02 AM

1,548 posts, read 912,527 times
I think spankings are okay. Got many as a child. I don't expect modern parents to ever bring that back though. They want to be friends with their kids now

Old 08-22-2017, 09:03 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
The reason that adults/parents hit children is because they can. Because, generally, the child cannot hit back and cannot defend him/herself. Of course, most rationalize it as we have seen on this thread and call it "good parenting" or they will tell you that they were hit as kids and it did them "no harm". In reality, it is lazy parenting and bullying. None of these adults would dream of using violence to solve problems in the workplace because they know that they would get fired and probably be up on felony charges. But, somehow, it is okay when it is a defenseless child.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:19 PM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
The reason that adults/parents hit children is because they can. Because, generally, the child cannot hit back and cannot defend him/herself. Of course, most rationalize it as we have seen on this thread and call it "good parenting" or they will tell you that they were hit as kids and it did them "no harm". In reality, it is lazy parenting and bullying. None of these adults would dream of using violence to solve problems in the workplace because they know that they would get fired and probably be up on felony charges. But, somehow, it is okay when it is a defenseless child.
Kudos to Jaggy

Old 08-23-2017, 02:50 PM

2,309 posts, read 900,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
My parents never sampled me because they "can." They always did it as dicipline and it worked. People would always comment how well behaved my siblings and I were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates