Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2017, 11:04 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,734,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Children are not a commodity to use and abuse at our leisure...their our children.. who we gave life to... hopefully a good life... using children for any reason is going back in time when ignorance was rife be it just illiteracy or bible thumpiing religious ingnorant stupidity... even for you to have to type the word "savagely" made me want to cry.. No child should ever be beaten in this way.... how much pleasure did that old dear get I wonder....I remember reading about Distress Tolerance in children.. and how the can ACCEPT to help them move on.. have you read it ..
I actually learned to control my fear and limit my reactions. The savageness of the beating brought me in tune with my body and emotions, it made me mentally and physically tough. Because of these life lessons, I have just enough fear to keep me grounded and think things through briefly enough to make a decision of how to proceed but for the most part, I fear nothing and I can stand alone because I know I can take it. Don't cry for me. Save your tears for some other pathetic soul.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:06 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,734,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I'd say if you're contemplating beat downs of your children or strangers you don't have "great patience". Maybe OK patience. My question still stands. Where do you, or anyone really, draw the line? Why there?

Also, I'm pretty sure if you just beat "some douche bag in the grocery store" you'll be facing criminal charges for assault.
There's no convincing the police he deserved it unless you are acting in self-defense. Even then, why are you so sure that you'll be the one administering the beating? Douche bags are often that way because they're tougher than most people. You could try to assault him out of some misplaced sense of authority, but he could hit back with a totally legitimate claim of self defense. I know that this is the internet so you have MMA levels of toughness and could never conceivably lose a fight, but it's a concern for people in the real world.
Don't be so sure.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:29 PM

554 posts, read 608,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
the temporary INFLICTION of Pain and embarrassment...yeah that's the tool that defines "good parenting". (complimentary sarcasm )

Let's both agree that while you support and even pridefully defend such an inept tactic to "control" another living being. It has no place in a CIVIL community. Look up being civil, diplomatic and even being respecting. None of them require a paddle or Infliction of pain.

As to being "judgmental", Ohh my! I sure hope I do carry a good sense of judgment for what is healthy discipline vs physical force. I rest my case.

what should remain available as a "parent" is the ability to refrain from harm, be a positive example, Walk the talk that creates a safe environment.
NO, I do NOT agree that corporal punishment has no place in a "civil community". The only "community" in question here is the nuclear family unit. If a parent chooses to use corporal punishment as a means of discipline, it's none of your g-damm business.

You "rest" your "case" ?!? Well, you've presented no evidence so the court rules against you. Your "case" consists of nothing more than being a scold. I doubt you're a parent. Tell me: what does your "walk" consist of when the principal of the catholic school calls and tells you that your son and three other 12-yr-old boys were caught peeing in the baptismal font of the church ? Do you ground him for life ? Take him on a trip to Lourdes ? Tell him that he has to write an essay about why one should not pee in the baptismal font ?

By the way, the word is "respectful", not "respecting". I think I know what I'm dealing with here.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:35 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,045,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelian View Post
NO, I do NOT agree that corporal punishment has no place in a "civil community". The only "community" in question here is the nuclear family unit. If a parent chooses to use corporal punishment as a means of discipline, it's none of your g-damm business.

You "rest" your "case" ?!? Well, you've presented no evidence so the court rules against you. Your "case" consists of nothing more than being a scold. I doubt you're a parent. Tell me: what does your "walk" consist of when the principal of the catholic school calls and tells you that your son and three other 12-yr-old boys were caught peeing in the baptismal font of the church ? Do you ground him for life ? Take him on a trip to Lourdes ? Tell him that he has to write an essay about why one should not pee in the baptismal font ?

By the way, the word is "respectful", not "respecting". I think I know what I'm dealing with here.
That's WAYYY past the grounding stage!

As my Grandma would say "You are gonna need our Lord and Savior's help to keep me from tearing your hide up!!"

Old 08-15-2017, 11:47 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelian View Post

The law does have something to say about what happens within the "nuclear family". I suppose people involved in incest could use the same argument you are trying to use with severe corporal punishment.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:05 AM

554 posts, read 608,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The law does have something to say about what happens within the "nuclear family". I suppose people involved in incest could use the same argument you are trying to use with severe corporal punishment.
You must have missed my prior post when I specifically pointed out the guidance from one state's attorney general about the boundaries of corporal punishment; specifically, the infliction of pain without injury does not constitute "abuse". Your attempt to connect physical discipline with incest is sophomoric.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:16 AM

473 posts, read 501,763 times
Outcome of end to corporal punishment: Forever children who live with parents until 30 is normal...Many different babies with different daddies. Cannot hold down job even if parents got them a good one...Some companies refuse to hire a whole generation of un-disciplined, lazy and hostile adults who cannot be motivated by money as basic concept of 'responsibility' to self support and support their family. Always wants more and parents had to pacify a full-grown brat. MAJOR ACCOMPLISHMENT! Mentally ill, psychopathic narcissists and even more screwed up baby generation making some wonder when the end of our existence will come as these couldn't keep country/business running EVER on their own....DOOMED by lazy parenting and no-discipline!

SO MANY ADULTS ARE ON CRACK SO FIRE AWAY THE INSULTS! IS YOUR OWN FAULT & BURDEN AS WELFARE IS NON-EXISTENT ANY MORE EXCEPT AS HATE-MONGER WAR CRY AT ELECTIONS.

What is child abuse or discipline? RAISING UNDISCIPLINED CHILDREN KILLS! Do you REALLY realize what happens to children/20somethings who will not handle a cop stop with respect and just follow directions? Expected traffic stop is like get out driver's license and insurance card. Keep hands on steering wheel where cop can see them. Car is turned off, no radio, cigarettes or phone. UNDISCIPLINED ADULT BRATS ARE KILLED FOR NO DISCIPLINE!!!! ....Just have to end there. Teaching your kid to challenge all authority and refuse to submit will kill!

Last edited by cattalk1; 08-16-2017 at 12:28 AM..

Old 08-16-2017, 12:45 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post
Spanking is hitting. You really cannot spank and exclude a hit. What I suspect that is behind troubled kids is an absence of parental involvement. That's what I saw when I was growing up and I did not grow up in a very good neighborhood. Involved parents have less issues with their children. When a parent decides to spank it is due to the fact that they ran out of options and that's too bad. Hopefully we can come up with more options befor getting to that point.
Spanking is another man beating... some dont know the difference..

Old 08-16-2017, 08:53 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
There was a series of articles in the NY post last September how the ipad is like crack for children. Remember when we were kids they told us not to sit close to the TV because it would hurt our eyes? Apparently, the ipad is worse because of it's HD capabilities and vivid colors and the kids holding it so close to themselves it just wreaks havoc with under developed brains. We keep the brightness down and limit our Son's use of it as best we can. The ipad is this generations version of being raised by TV.
Very true.

And it only gets worse as they age into social media. My own cell phone screen quit working last week & I have not had the time to deal with it so I swapped my sim card into an older phone of one of the twins' phones. Apparently a lot of the social media apps load to the device vs the sim & it's driving me nuts ... stupid thing is bing-bonging constantly.

Even as a SAHM in a two parent household; there is no way that my input equals even 25% of the input from their literally thousands of "friends".

I remember when TV critics used to call TV the "electronic babysitter"; that was nothing compared to this. I'll admit to taking advantage of this "babysitter"; it's easy. It's convenient. But it's also mitigating my influence as a mom. I'm seriously considering some extreme limiting of "screen time" since school is starting this week. I want parents & education to be their primary influences & I can't compete with 200 "likes" in half an hour.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:32 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
If we are going to play semantics, then let's look at what the words actually mean:

spank
spaNGk/
verb
1. slap with one's open hand or a flat object, especially on the buttocks as a punishment."she was spanked for spilling ink on the carpet"
2. synonyms:
3. smack, slap, hit, cuff; 

noun
1. a slap with one's open hand, especially on the buttocks.

slap
slap/
verb
1. hit (someone or something) with the palm of one's hand or a flat object."my sister slapped my face"
2. synonyms:
3. hit, strike, smack, clout, cuff, thump, punch, spank;
noun
1. a blow with the palm of the hand or a flat object."he gave her a slap across her cheek"
2. synonyms:
3. smack, blow, thump, cuff, clout, punch, spank;

adverbinformal
1. suddenly and directly, especially with great force."storming out of her room, she ran slap into Luke"

Spank is to hit, as daisy is to flower. Hit is the broad, encompassing term. Spank is a specific way of hitting. Or is anyone proposing that a spanking isn't the act of hitting something with an open palm or a swatting object?

We shouldn't have to play semantics but apparently we do, because the complaint by many posters here is exactly that these terms are being used in a "broad & encompassing" manner while the one defining word: punishment ... is ignored.

Implying that a word or term has dual meaning in ignorance of the semantics is ... propaganda.

You can push somebody. You can also push somebody out of the way of an oncoming train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates