Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 07:04 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post

Many fatal shootings involving police officers could be entirely avoided if we really re-evaluated the ways we train officers/direct departments to engage civilians. Take traffic stops for example: Do we really need here in 2017 to have officers doing this? This is a waste of resources. First off, traffic stops are extremely dangerous for officers, leading to a highly charged situation to begin with. Second, with the speed camera/red-light camera technology out there we shouldn't have officers pulling over people for those things. Third, if it's things like broken taillights or improper driving that is at issue, then use the dashboard camera to photograph/flim the offending vehicle (and their license plate of course) and send the ticket to the offending address.

Another is dealing with youths. Rather than having officers be the first to respond to rowdy youth, instead we need to work with community leadership to have respected adults in the neighborhood work to de-escalate situations and try to help young people build problem solving skills rather than act out.

Not to be rude here, but you're ideas suggest you have a very Pollyanna world in mind...not happening.

You started off by saying we need to re-evaluate the way we train officers....how about reinforcing to people that we need to respect authority. That's the key to this issue. Many individuals, and especially it seems black males want to do what they wanna do, speak to people however they feel like it, and want their to be no consequences. It's ridiculous.

Then you want to eliminate traffic stops. It's not a waste at all. It usually only leads to a highly charged situation as you say when the person in the car has a bad attitude or is not cooperating. Look at that Sam Dubose in Ohio, cop was being polite and refused to give up his license or get out of the car. There's no shortage of videos online just like that. I've been pulled by cops who are complete jerks. I just take a deep breath, yes them to death and make them go away.

As far as Cameras, too many people drive other's people's cars. Its a really flawed system. LA County has been getting rid of them over the last several years.

And as far as youths, cops have every right to respond to them. Teens are some of the most violent individuals in our society and often the most hot tempered and immature.

There are people out there who you can give and every chance in the world and they will still find a way to be destructive b/c thats just how they are built. You need an example......Sammy Gravano got a measly 5 year sentence for like 20 murders, and still found a way to end up in prison for 20 years. And apparently he made millions as a mob Capo. Some folk are just inclined to be awful people and cops deal with them all day, everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 07:24 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post

You started off by saying we need to re-evaluate the way we train officers....how about reinforcing to people that we need to respect authority. That's the key to this issue. Many individuals, and especially it seems black males want to do what they wanna do, speak to people however they feel like it, and want their to be no consequences. It's ridiculous.

You talk about another poster being Pollyanaish. I would suggest that perhaps you are. And here's why.

There is no law that I'm aware of that says Americans must respect authority. We might want people to, but there is no such requirement. In fact, I would submit to you that this nation was literally born out of disrespect for authority.

On the other hand, the police do have to operate based on laws, regulations, and policies, all of which are written down and public information.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You talk about another poster being Pollyanaish. I would suggest that perhaps you are. And here's why.

There is no law that I'm aware of that says Americans must respect authority. We might want people to, but there is no such requirement. In fact, I would submit to you that this nation was literally born out of disrespect for authority.

On the other hand, the police do have to operate based on laws, regulations, and policies, all of which are written down and public information.
You wanna say that there is no such requirement.....fine. If you live under that banner, you are asking for trouble somewhere down the road. And that's common sense. If I'm a person who hates cops, think they hate me b/c of my skin other, ect.....why in the world would I aggravate said person when they most likely have more firepower and have the benefit of the doubt if we go into court?

A big problem is that many people think cops are machines. I was possibly even guilty of this once when a cop friend sent me a video of him and some cop buddies on a getaway weekend retreat shooting each other in the hotel room with water guns and playing other pranks. He laughed simply said "we are beings, and like to goof off as much as anybody else".

As far as what the nation "was born out of", it was also built heavily on the backs of slaves...you think that's a good idea today b/c some people thought it was a good idea at the time?

Old 10-02-2017, 08:47 PM

Also, if BLM wants to make an overture, they can start by stop trying to stand up for the criminal element/ low class portion of the black community. I haven't personally seen them protest for any stand up black males or females, only the s***bags. But of course, the productive portion of the black community doesn't tend to be in these situations to begin with.

Old 10-02-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Also, if BLM wants to make an overture, they can start by stop trying to stand up for the criminal element/ low class portion of the black community. I haven't personally seen them protest for any stand up black males or females, only the s***bags. But of course, the productive portion of the black community doesn't tend to be in these situations to begin with.
Let the cops reach out first.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:10 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times
Quote:
I imagine most good cops detest bad cops.
The question is: do they force them out of their ranks? I see little of evidence of that.

Do you have inside connections with every LE agency around the country? Do you have any inside knowledge on what PD's do to bad cops? That said, what's your definition of a bad cop? I had a very good friend arrest the son of a county board member for using drugs in a public park late at night. By the time this was jerk was due in court this officer, highly decorated and respected, was a "bad cop" thanks to the board member Mom. He had to endure an internal affairs investigation due to the mom. The papers picked up on this and even people in the community were calling for the officer to be fired. Fortunately the truth came out in court, kid (adult BTW) was convicted and the Mom slinked away. But he was labeled a "bad cop" and he took it hard. There are bad cops in the profession but not all cops called "bad" truly are. But yes, fire/prosecute the bad ones by all means. My agency did and so did most in my area that I could see.

But I eagerly await your personal knowledge on the subject----------------besides CNN.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
If you are a LEO, I hope you do not read my post as an attack on yourself or your profession. I highly respect and admire law enforcement personnel and the profession, and this is coming from someone who is half African-American. My goal is to try and help heal the divisions between LE and minority communities. Bear in mind that my focus is also on improving officer safety as much as it is to prevent the shooting of unarmed civilians.

I welcome your thoughts, even if they clash with mine, on this issue and hope that this thread can be a place of engagement, not confrontation.

Did you read the article I posted?

Old 10-03-2017, 04:15 AM

Quote:
I'm so glad you posted this.

I am sure that, since you love data-based studies, that you believe in climate-change, global warming, evolution, and every other "scientific study" ever published.

Actually as a conservative I do believe in climate change. But what's your point? Did you read the article? Do you dispute this Harvard professor's findings?

Old 10-03-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Do you have inside connections with every LE agency around the country? Do you have any inside knowledge on what PD's do to bad cops? That said, what's your definition of a bad cop? I had a very good friend arrest the son of a county board member for using drugs in a public park late at night. By the time this was jerk was due in court this officer, highly decorated and respected, was a "bad cop" thanks to the board member Mom. He had to endure an internal affairs investigation due to the mom. The papers picked up on this and even people in the community were calling for the officer to be fired. Fortunately the truth came out in court, kid (adult BTW) was convicted and the Mom slinked away. But he was labeled a "bad cop" and he took it hard. There are bad cops in the profession but not all cops called "bad" truly are. But yes, fire/prosecute the bad ones by all means. My agency did and so did most in my area that I could see.

But I eagerly await your personal knowledge on the subject----------------besides CNN.
In a 2017 poll of police officers by Pew Research, 72% said that "police officers do not believe that officers who consistently do a poor job are held accountable".

But go ahead, do your own research, which you won't. You have a clear opinion already.

"endure an internal affairs investigation"? Good. Beneficial to the whole community to show that cops can be held responsible, although any wise person will debate the efficacy of self-policing of the profession (pun intended). An external investigation is what is needed in all such cases.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Actually as a conservative I do believe in climate change. But what's your point? Did you read the article? Do you dispute this Harvard professor's findings?
The point isn't whether that professor's findings are reliable or not. The point of good science is what does the preponderance of data and studies show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates