Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 02:53 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,619,517 times

Advertisements

What bothers me about this whole conversation about Police Brutality/BLM is that really the only way that this issue is ever going to be resolved is by Black leaders directly engaging police departments. No amount of kneeling at NFL games, protesting or media play is going to save any one life more than getting down to the issue at hand in regards to police policy. Which leads me to my main point:

Many fatal shootings involving police officers could be entirely avoided if we really re-evaluated the ways we train officers/direct departments to engage civilians. Take traffic stops for example: Do we really need here in 2017 to have officers doing this? This is a waste of resources. First off, traffic stops are extremely dangerous for officers, leading to a highly charged situation to begin with. Second, with the speed camera/red-light camera technology out there we shouldn't have officers pulling over people for those things. Third, if it's things like broken taillights or improper driving that is at issue, then use the dashboard camera to photograph/flim the offending vehicle (and their license plate of course) and send the ticket to the offending address.

Another is dealing with youths. Rather than having officers be the first to respond to rowdy youth, instead we need to work with community leadership to have respected adults in the neighborhood work to de-escalate situations and try to help young people build problem solving skills rather than act out.

I have other ideas, but my main point is we need to stop automatically villifiying both police officers as well as BLM because really both groups need to work together to solve issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2017, 05:58 PM

50,979 posts, read 24,467,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
What bothers me about this whole conversation about Police Brutality/BLM is that really the only way that this issue is ever going to be resolved is by Black leaders directly engaging police departments. No amount of kneeling at NFL games, protesting or media play is going to save any one life more than getting down to the issue at hand in regards to police policy. Which leads me to my main point:

Many fatal shootings involving police officers could be entirely avoided if we really re-evaluated the ways we train officers/direct departments to engage civilians. Take traffic stops for example: Do we really need here in 2017 to have officers doing this? This is a waste of resources. First off, traffic stops are extremely dangerous for officers, leading to a highly charged situation to begin with. Second, with the speed camera/red-light camera technology out there we shouldn't have officers pulling over people for those things. Third, if it's things like broken taillights or improper driving that is at issue, then use the dashboard camera to photograph/flim the offending vehicle (and their license plate of course) and send the ticket to the offending address.

Another is dealing with youths. Rather than having officers be the first to respond to rowdy youth, instead we need to work with community leadership to have respected adults in the neighborhood work to de-escalate situations and try to help young people build problem solving skills rather than act out.

I have other ideas, but my main point is we need to stop automatically villifiying both police officers as well as BLM because really both groups need to work together to solve issues.
My only criticism of your post is that I note that you want Black leader to engage.

How about police officials engaging?

Old 10-01-2017, 06:10 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,297,222 times
I think the problems are not only well understood but the solutions are actually pretty obvious.

But getting to those solutions politically--well that is an entirely different matter.

The zip codes in which there is the greatest tension are also the zip codes that have seen massive white and black middle and upper middle class flight. These places have seen a depletion in financial and human capital. What is left is increasingly poor, welfare ridden, fatherless, and lacking in good paying jobs with an attractive trajectory. In such environments, crime is not just a way of life, but the only way to survive. Those that emerge from such places unscathed are truly amazing.

In such places, philosophies of policing must be very, very different. If not, everyone will be incarcerated before too long.

The preferred solution of many as evidenced by the voting by foot, as been to exit the place altogether. Like a bank run, those who remain get stuck with a rapidly deteriorating situation.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:10 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,973,159 times
Who exactly are “community leaders” and what kind of authority do you think they actually have?

Old 10-02-2017, 04:12 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,266,154 times
Maybe this will **** down BLM for a bit. The truth has got to hurt. But we know this will make no difference.

Harvard Study on Police Shootings and Race Offers Shocking Conclusion | Tribunist

Old 10-02-2017, 04:15 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,266,154 times
Hey OP. How long have you been a LEO? I would imagine you are not. You have no clue how the police are trained. You have no clue on how bad police officers do NOT want to go on their shift and shoot someone. You have no clue how much training officers receive on "use of force" and "de-escalation" training. You might be shocked. How about joining a Citizen's Police Academy and maybe you'll walk away a little more educated.

"Many fatal shootings involving police officers could be entirely avoided if we really re-evaluated the ways we train officers/direct departments to engage civilians."

Old 10-02-2017, 06:55 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,619,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Hey OP. How long have you been a LEO? I would imagine you are not. You have no clue how the police are trained. You have no clue on how bad police officers do NOT want to go on their shift and shoot someone. You have no clue how much training officers receive on "use of force" and "de-escalation" training. You might be shocked. How about joining a Citizen's Police Academy and maybe you'll walk away a little more educated.

"Many fatal shootings involving police officers could be entirely avoided if we really re-evaluated the ways we train officers/direct departments to engage civilians."
If you are a LEO, I hope you do not read my post as an attack on yourself or your profession. I highly respect and admire law enforcement personnel and the profession, and this is coming from someone who is half African-American. My goal is to try and help heal the divisions between LE and minority communities. Bear in mind that my focus is also on improving officer safety as much as it is to prevent the shooting of unarmed civilians.

I welcome your thoughts, even if they clash with mine, on this issue and hope that this thread can be a place of engagement, not confrontation.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:08 AM

18,142 posts, read 25,340,169 times
They have common ground,
both hate "bad cops"

But that's not what news media will talk about
News media will turn it into a "Black vs White" issue

Old 10-02-2017, 07:50 AM

24,567 posts, read 17,315,057 times
It all starts at home where the parents need to instill in the kids that cops are not the enemy, America is not your oppressor and if you keep your nose clean you will be OK.
The problem is that many kids are left to their own and they learn about life from movies, video games, rap music and their peers.

There are bad cops out there. We all know that and have probably had run ins with them but something I don't understand is when a cop shoots someone it is generally because they were threatened and the suspect was not following orders.

In the case of Michael Brown, officer Wilson gave the kid multiple chances to stop but he kept coming to attack and Wilson was left with no other option but to shoot.
The most recent case was Anthony Lamar Smith. He was a heroine dealer that should have stopped when he was caught and he would still be alive today.

I think the bigger problem is not the rare bad cop but the increasing anger in young black men that gets them in trouble and when they have run ins with the Police it does not end well.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:00 AM

50,979 posts, read 24,467,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
They have common ground,
both hate "bad cops"

But that's not what news media will talk about
News media will turn it into a "Black vs White" issue
I imagine most good cops detest bad cops.
The question is: do they force them out of their ranks? I see little of evidence of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates