Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2018, 01:16 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
You BECAME a citizen? Where are you from? Have you ever served in the US military? I have.
Thank you for your service, but that service does not make you rational. You still have to present a cogent argument for your positions. Which you haven't to date. And I was born here of course. What I mean by becoming a citizen is consciously understanding the philosophy of those who founded my country and agreeing with it after rational analysis. I am a willing and participatory citizen, and I pay my government to keep any wolves at bay that would seek to export their irrational and destructive tyranny at my expense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 01:16 PM

35,071 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selen View Post
New York Times article didn’t surprise me. They pretty much have the similar worldview in 2018 too.
What's wrong with the truth?

Old 01-10-2018, 01:26 PM

400 posts, read 292,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
What's wrong with the truth?
You can’t see what is wrong with a sentence like Jews are a more competent and advanced race? Really? Open an encyclopedia and read ww2 then you’ll learn what is wrong with that sentence. I’m really bored with this racist b.s.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:26 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
That's right. I've EARNED that by becoming a supporting citizen of the most advanced and rational society the world has seen to date. I pay my military to keep it that way.

The theocratic hell holes have the same option. Free their people, establish property rights, establish Capitalism and free economies. Then they can stop envying us and start competing with us. Which benefits everyone.
Sort of an arm-chair general. But there's a lot of difference between fighting for your freedom and buying your freedom.

And this is a pattern that is so common on rightists who let others -- usually the young and poor -- fight the battles. The armchair generals sacrifice nothing. The people sacrifice their lives.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Sort of an arm-chair general. But there's a lot of difference between fighting for your freedom and buying your freedom.

And this is a pattern that is so common on rightists who let others -- usually the young and poor -- fight the battles. The armchair generals sacrifice nothing. The people sacrifice their lives.
No, the soldiers are fellow citizens and they are fighting for their own freedom, not just mine. A soldier doesn't sacrifice his life, it's not a sacrifice at all. He gives it in service to his own principles of valuing freedom. And I give a certain proportion of my time on this planet in service to provide the soldier with what he needs to do the job he rationally and freely accepted: The best weapons and training on the planet. We're all a team in keeping the wolves at bay.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:41 PM

35,071 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
You can’t see what is wrong with a sentence like Jews are a more competent and advanced race? Really? Open an encyclopedia and read ww2 then you’ll learn what is wrong with that sentence. I’m really bored with this racist b.s.
I agree that the language is unacceptable. I'll reword: "But some Arabs bitterly resent this achievement, which hurts their pride, so they rebel all the more furiously because it is against what seems to be a culture with an enhanced work ethic and learning, as well as greater investment resources."

Old 01-10-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
It's really not racist to observe that a free and secular society that allows its citizens the freedom to live as they choose is objectively and propositionally superior to a theocracy where the citizens are subjugated and oppressed. It's not racism at all. It's self-evident and obvious objective truth. Israel is superior to Iran, and that's just an existential metaphysical fact.

That doesn't mean that they are racially superior or inherently more valuable or any other left wing SJW nonsense. It means they have advanced intellectually and chosen a system that treats people as individuals and allows them freedom. Which is a better and more advanced and more enlightened form of governance than theocratic Islam.

If the Iranians freed themselves from this nonsense and adopted a secular form of governance where individual freedom was a primary and Capitalism was the economic system, then guess what? Iran would resemble the United States, or London, or Hong Kong. Or Israel.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:55 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,489,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

I am part of that Right and conservative but I am not sure how paying someone else's bills, let's just say paying them welfare, is a conservative value. To me it seems anything but.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:05 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I am part of that Right and conservative but I am not sure how paying someone else's bills, let's just say paying them welfare, is a conservative value. To me it seems anything but.
I've read quite a few of your posts over time, and while you may be "to the right" and a conservative, I don't consider you a "rightist".

Old 01-10-2018, 03:06 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,489,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Thank you for your service, but that service does not make you rational. You still have to present a cogent argument for your positions. Which you haven't to date. And I was born here of course. What I mean by becoming a citizen is consciously understanding the philosophy of those who founded my country and agreeing with it after rational analysis. I am a willing and participatory citizen, and I pay my government to keep any wolves at bay that would seek to export their irrational and destructive tyranny at my expense.
So you have beliefs which you do not think you should stand up for? But regardless my point is that I do not see what we are getting from paying Israel, Egypt and the Palestinian authority billions of dollars a year, which is what? Over a hundred billion total? Over two hundred billion? To not fight when they are fighting and have been fighting for over 50 years? It is time we stopped paying them to bring instability to the middle east and see how much they want to fight when their pay to do it dries up. Really, tell me what their incentive for peace is? They get no money for peace and billions for violence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates