Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2018, 11:47 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I do not have the hatred you seem to have. I understand that people may have different points of view than I do. If they are concerned about how their countries are run that is a good thing.

But the US did in fact have slavery and in fact is still affected by bigotry and injustice that may in part have roots in that injustice.

I DO HATE TYRANNY. That is true. Guilty as charged.

And I make no excuses for slavery or racism. Everyone should be dealt with as an individual, not a group. That's how I run my life, because it's RATIONAL and GOOD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 12:12 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
That may be true. It doesn't explain Iran's devolution into theocratic tyranny or its maintenance thereof over the past 10 years. And it doesn't explain the entire region's preoccupation with tyrannical governmental forms and societal structure. That's a choice, and an awful and evil one.
I am not sure you understand the concept of tyranny if you believe it is a choice...

Quote:
I DO HATE TYRANNY. That is true. Guilty as charged.
Many Iranians considered the shah, which the US helped to power and supported, a tyrant yet you seem shocked that they would not like us for aiding and abetting a tyrant.
Quote:
And I make no excuses for slavery or racism. Everyone should be dealt with as an individual, not a group. That's how I run my life, because it's RATIONAL and GOOD.
This is a good blurb and I am sure you want people to think of you this way but having read this and knowing the comments you have been making in this thread I actually spit coffee on my screen. Delusion is not just a river in Egypt...

Old 01-10-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
I am not sure you understand the concept of tyranny if you believe it is a choice...

Many Iranians considered the shah, which the US helped to power and supported, a tyrant yet you seem shocked that they would not like us for aiding and abetting a tyrant.

This is a good blurb and I am sure you want people to think of you this way but having read this and knowing the comments you have been making in this thread I actually spit coffee on my screen. Delusion is not just a river in Egypt...

Tyranny is a choice. When a people live under a tyrant and fail to depose him and destroy him, as we did with tyrants at the time of our Revolution, they are complicit in their tyranny. It is up to the Iranians to depose their tyrants, however they got there. I don't care who we propped up, and I don't care how the current mullahs came to power. It is up to Iranians to get rid of these people and replace with them with leadership that concerns itself with the welfare of its own people, and not the destruction of other people.

And I DON'T CARE if the tyrants of the Middle East like us. Just stay away from us and don't export your sh**. Kill each other, not me. Stay where you are. Now, if you want to embrace individual freedom, Capitalism, and separation of church and state? Welcome to my country.

And if any Middle Eastern country wants to adapt freedom and tolerance as a way of life, I say we support them, regardless of race or religion.

Now clean up that screen. Especially if there is cream and sugar in that coffee.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Tyranny is a choice. When a people live under a tyrant and fail to depose him and destroy him, as we did with tyrants at the time of our Revolution, they are complicit in their tyranny.
You just double down on not understanding tyranny. Though I would not say living under a king is ideal I would hardly put him in the tyrant category with Stalin and Kim Jun-Un.

Also if you believe we deposed and destroyed King George III all you have to do is look who the Queen of England is today and her ancestors.

The British were an ocean away and pretty much gave up on the war. The results would have been much different if someone tried to "depose and destroy" that "tyrant" at home.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
You just double down on not understanding tyranny. Though I would not say living under a king is ideal I would hardly put him in the tyrant category with Stalin and Kim Jun-Un.

Also if you believe we deposed and destroyed King George III all you have to do is look who the Queen of England is today and her ancestors.

The British were an ocean away and pretty much gave up on the war. The results would have been much different if someone tried to "depose and destroy" that "tyrant" at home.
And I'll be happy to triple down should the need arise. I don't separate a people from its State. The composition and function of a government is a product of the values and character of its people. Even when it's theocratic tyranny. Over a short time, a tyrant can execute his will, but that doesn't last, unless the people accept it and ultimately embrace it. Theocracy is a primitive and evil form of government, and it is up to the people living under it to dismantle and destroy it.

It only becomes our problem when the tyrants seek to export it. Which is why we support Israel. It helps keep the tyrants tied up and distracted and out of our way to an extent. But after 9-1-1, we have to be more assertive and protective of our values and way of life. And we will.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:50 PM

35,071 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selen View Post
LOL I’m sure you would. You were just saying ”every single person” who live in the middle east were irrational intolerant mysticists. I wonder how do you think they will manage that? LOL
You are engaging in semantic arguments since you don't want to concede the obvious; that the remaining countries in the region are primitive and dangerous. The Arabs, or at least their "leaders" are galled to have a successful country in the middle of their cesspool. Quoting the November 13, 1938 New York Times (link):
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Times 11-13-1938
In Palestine Jews have created a modern community in a backward land, thus raising the standard of life for themselves as well as for Arabs, who may live far better than their fathers did.

But some Arabs bitterly resent this achievement, which hurts their pride, so they rebel all the more furiously because it is against what seems a more competent and more advanced race, particularly since it is backed by foreign capital provided by Jews in Europe and America.
Granted the language in that article would be unacceptable today but the point remains.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:55 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Tyranny is a choice. When a people live under a tyrant and fail to depose him and destroy him, as we did with tyrants at the time of our Revolution, they are complicit in their tyranny. It is up to the Iranians to depose their tyrants, however they got there. I don't care who we propped up, and I don't care how the current mullahs came to power. It is up to Iranians to get rid of these people and replace with them with leadership that concerns itself with the welfare of its own people, and not the destruction of other people.

And I DON'T CARE if the tyrants of the Middle East like us. Just stay away from us and don't export your sh**. Kill each other, not me. Stay where you are. Now, if you want to embrace individual freedom, Capitalism, and separation of church and state? Welcome to my country.

And if any Middle Eastern country wants to adapt freedom and tolerance as a way of life, I say we support them, regardless of race or religion.

Now clean up that screen. Especially if there is cream and sugar in that coffee.
You're awfully gung ho to put other people's lives on the line, while you sit back comfortably on the other side of the globe.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:00 PM

400 posts, read 292,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
You are engaging in semantic arguments since you don't want to concede the obvious; that the remaining countries in the region are primitive and dangerous. The Arabs, or at least their "leaders" are galled to have a successful country in the middle of their cesspool. Quoting the November 13, 1938 New York Times (link):

Granted the language in that article would be unacceptable today but the point remains.
New York Times article didn’t surprise me. They pretty much have the similar worldview in 2018 too.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You're awfully gung ho to put other people's lives on the line, while you sit back comfortably on the other side of the globe.
That's right. I've EARNED that by becoming a supporting citizen of the most advanced and rational society the world has seen to date. I pay my military to keep it that way.

The theocratic hell holes have the same option. Free their people, establish property rights, establish Capitalism and free economies. Then they can stop envying us and start competing with us. Which benefits everyone.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
That's right. I've EARNED that by becoming a supporting citizen of the most advanced and rational society the world has seen to date. I pay my military to keep it that way.

The theocratic hell holes have the same option. Free their people, establish property rights, establish Capitalism and free economies. Then they can stop envying us and start competing with us. Which benefits everyone.
You BECAME a citizen? Where are you from? Have you ever served in the US military? I have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates