Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2018, 05:27 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,370,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
No such thing as civilian assault rifles. Just semiautomatic rifles, they're all the same product and they all work the same way no matter if they're that scary black color or have that thing that goes up.

They won't if we raise the voting age to 25 like it should be.

Ha! What we need to raise is the age at which someone can buy a firearm, maybe age 25 for that!

Old 03-24-2018, 05:36 PM

10,231 posts, read 6,315,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
1. Enforce the laws and regulations on the books. Had this been done, there would've been no shooting.

2. Do away with schools as gun-free zones. Had this been done, someone would have shot back. Or there would have been no shooting. People don't go around shooing places they can be shot back at. That's why there's no mass shootings at courthouses, jails, or police stations.

What do YOU think needs to be done?

Tougher gun laws? Just ask Chicago residents how well that works.
Do you really know what a Gun Free Zone is? Where do you live? California? Florida?

Can you Mr. CCW carry your gun into the Jury Box? When I served in NY, I had to go through a Metal Detector. The Court Attorneys took their weapons out of their briefcases and handed them over to the Officer at the desk. Not a GUN FREE ZONE???? Of course, LEO's who worked there could carry, but no private citizens.

Florida. I had to go to the County Jail to be fingerprinted for my job in Public Education. Again, METAL DETECTOR to get inside. Not a GUN FREE ZONE? Again, LEO's who worked there could carry, but not private citizens.

Better demand your 2nd Amendment right to carry your gun wherever you want to, including to courthouses, jails, and police stations!!!!!!

Old 03-24-2018, 05:37 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Ha! What we need to raise is the age at which someone can buy a firearm, maybe age 25 for that!
Yep. Except for hunting rifles. Kids who live in places like Vermont still hunt. They don't usually have a thing about getting to carry a gun, it's just not that exciting to them. Some men seem to think guns make them more masculine.

And yes, we who protested the Viet Nam war never started liking war. We still believe what we believed in then. So we support these kids of today. They are the way we were.

Old 03-24-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Kids won’t change gun laws, politicians will.

And unless kids are willing to resort to more drastic measures, it won’t make a difference. Rememeber all those rallies/protests against Trump? Yup, he’s still in office tweeting away.

All these kids will be able to vote in 2020–against Trump. Yea! And many will be able to vote in 2018, against Congress people. I can’t wait for them to make their voices heard. They are the voice of tomorrow!

Maybe they will dash the hopes of our Tweeter President...

Old 03-24-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Yep. Except for hunting rifles. Kids who live in places like Vermont still hunt. They don't usually have a thing about getting to carry a gun, it's just not that exciting to them. Some men seem to think guns make them more masculine.

And yes, we who protested the Viet Nam war never started liking war. We still believe what we believed in then. So we support these kids of today. They are the way we were.
Hunting is fine. It’s a hobby. No one needs an AR-15 to shoot a deer!

Old 03-24-2018, 05:46 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
2. Do away with schools as gun-free zones. Had this been done, someone would have shot back. Or there would have been no shooting. People don't go around shooing places they can be shot back at. That's why there's no mass shootings at courthouses, jails, or police stations.
No one brings guns into a jail, the exception being a prison with guard towers where only personnel working in those towers are armed. In Police Stations you had better not walk in holding a gun or you might not walk out. Courthouses have metal detectors- no guns allowed. /sigh

Old 03-24-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Hunting is fine. It’s a hobby. No one needs an AR-15 to shoot a deer!
Unless you want to turn the deer you shoot into hamburger lol

Old 03-24-2018, 05:50 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,670,073 times
Post gotta have effective registration first, then you can move on to the next step in the progression

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Unless you want to turn the deer you shoot into hamburger lol
You've been watching too much TV, or reading too many propaganda websites. If anything, an AR is underpowered for deer hunting.

Quote:
I listened to most of the speeches those kids gave and I did not hear a single one advocate for banning all guns or taking away the right to own a gun. Maybe we are talking about two different events? I'm referring to the young people talking at the March for our Lives event.
That's because the ones up on the stage are on-script.

General bans and confiscation are carefully omitted during act one. Same reason you don't talk about the rail cars while making lists of citizens by ethnic background, or even when handing out yellow stars; gotta have effective registration first, then you can move on to act 2.

Last edited by Nonesuch; 03-24-2018 at 06:02 PM..

Old 03-24-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
That's because the ones up on the stage are on-script.
General bans and confiscation are carefully omitted during act one. Same reason you don't talk about the rail cars while making lists of citizens by ethnic background, or even when handing out yellow stars; gotta have effective registration first, then you can move on to act 2.
Those kids were speaking from their heart, you don't have to acknowledge that if you choose not to, but at least afford them a little respect by avoiding going down the rabbit hole with some theory like this ^

Old 03-24-2018, 06:03 PM

24,618 posts, read 9,449,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
They are not far from voting age. People May want to dismiss and ridicule them but what they are doing is as American as apple pie ,and the more they are abused and threatened the more they may be driven to vote and not necessarily the way the haters would wish. Kids may not be able to change gun laws but they will be able to change politicians
Quote:
That's right, and guess who will be electing those politicians for the next 50 years? Not me, I'm old but those kids will be voting for the next 6 decades or so.
Pro-gun folks show up to vote too. I’ll remain skeptic about kids all of a sudden caring about politics when I see substantial gun laws in place as a result. Until then, we’re all just sadly waiting for the next shooting and the rallies are just empty gestures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates