Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2018, 06:10 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,757,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
Yeah, they're too naive to realize that guns, bibles & money are what really matters on this shallow planet. You tell 'em!

Fools like you would require an immediate friend or family member killed in a shooting to get the point.
Yeah the existing adults who vote are pretty shallow. That doesn't mean are spawn aren't better informed than the majority of the voting populace. I'm proud of them.

Old 03-30-2018, 06:26 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,578,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
The tide has turned on me a little for the young man named David Hogg. Although, I have not seen the specific quotes apparently a Fox broadcaster opined that he stop whining because he was not accepted to some of his colleges. I have to agree. While I think he is a well spoken young man and will definitely go places, he needs to stop with the ego now and get back to what he became famous for, the task at hand so to speak. He is not untouchable in the media now and should have just let this one all off his back, unless he can prove that his activity related to this cause, was the reason for the rejections. I am afraid he is letting this go to his head.
The same could likely be said for the conservative pundit calling him out - I ask you whose cause is petty and whose is more authentic ?

Facing ad boycott, Fox host Laura Ingraham apologizes for taunting Parkland teen over college rejections - Chicago Tribune

Old 03-30-2018, 07:03 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,263,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
It was in my life time that seatbelts and carseats became mandatory. That is relevant.
Except for rational people who realize that there's no downside to wearing a seatbelt or putting your kid in a car seat.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:39 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
Do people still read Time?

I do nto even see it in Dr.s and dentists waiting rooms anymore. Had someone asked me yesterday whether it was still published my answer would be "I am not sure"

Old 03-30-2018, 07:52 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,757,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Except for rational people who realize that there's no downside to wearing a seatbelt or putting your kid in a car seat.
I don't think people who believe they need semi-automatic rifles and guns, or ones modified to be them are rational people. I think every single one of them should be checked for mental illness. It's not a rational point of view. It's point of view based on fear of things; some of which take a very cynical and dystonia point of view. It's also a point of view not based on good outcome statistics, but the opposite. In my mind, they are loony if they fight tooth and nail for rational regulation, which is what they have been doing.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:16 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,669,274 times
Thumbs down Seatbelts are not federally required, not mandatory for adults in my state

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
The tide has turned on me a little for the young man named David Hogg. Although, I have not seen the specific quotes apparently a Fox broadcaster opined that he stop whining because he was not accepted to some of his colleges. I have to agree. While I think he is a well spoken young man and will definitely go places, he needs to stop with the ego now and get back to what he became famous for, the task at hand so to speak. He is not untouchable in the media now and should have just let this one all off his back, unless he can prove that his activity related to this cause, was the reason for the rejections. I am afraid he is letting this go to his head.
So well spoken that half his quotes are so profanity-laden that they are unprintable on City Data. Luckily for him he can fall back on being a "kid" and claiming victim status, but how long can that last?

The Moms groups and media picked David Hogg and Emma Gonzalez as the anointed ones, totally ignore other Parkland students like Kyle Kashuv who fail to toe the party line.

Quote:
It was in my life time that seatbelts and carseats became mandatory. That is relevant.
Still not relevant to discussing a constitutional right. Notice though that the Federal government didn't actually make car seats for kids and belt use for adults mandatory, instead it has used highway funds to pressure (most) states into changing their laws.

Seatbelt laws are a valid slippery slope -- Originally politicians promised the law would only be "secondary enforcement", cops wouldn't be able to pull you over just for seatbelt violation. That slowly changed, and federal government is offering extra highway money to states that change to a primary seat belt law. The ACLU claims police use the seatbelt law in a racist manner,

Old 03-30-2018, 09:37 AM

10,730 posts, read 5,661,282 times
Quote:
There is little difference between rights and privileges. People can split hairs about semantics.
There is a HUGE difference. It’s a shame that you don’t understand that.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:54 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,971,106 times
Quote:
I don't think people who believe they need semi-automatic rifles and guns, or ones modified to be them are rational people. I think every single one of them should be checked for mental illness. It's not a rational point of view. It's point of view based on fear of things; some of which take a very cynical and dystonia point of view. It's also a point of view not based on good outcome statistics, but the opposite. In my mind, they are loony if they fight tooth and nail for rational regulation, which is what they have been doing.
I own a semi-automatic gun, and I can assure you I'm very rational. More so than those that are hell-bent on disarming me, and leaving me, a woman, unprotected against an intruder. More so than those that ignore history, and realize that the first step towards tyranny is disarming the populace.

It's not fear, it's being practical. Do you lock your front door? Do you lock your car? Do you walk in a crime-ridden area late at night?

Wanting to ban the very guns that many Americans own, while calling them murderers or crazy, is the very definition of mental illness. You don't know me. I don't know you. I have taken a quick stock of my friends and acquaintances, and every last one of them that want to ban guns are on medication for a mental illness. Don't want a gun? Fine, don't own one. But the 2nd Amendment says I can.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:55 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,971,106 times
Quote:
There is little difference between rights and privileges. People can split hairs about semantics.

We have the right to drive a car, but there are rules and regulations we must follow in order to make the experience as safe for as many people as possible. You will find that there is no right or privilege in America that is without any limitations.

Furthermore, people didn't lose their right to drive by following rules. They simply adapted.
There is no right to drive a car. If you can find that clause in the Constitution, please share it here.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:14 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,681,551 times
Quote:

If we're talking about "rational" based on statistics, statistically - nothing "needs to be done". School shootings are outliers, rarer than lightning strikes & "gun violence" with long guns is 3% of whatever number you want to call "gun violence". In a country of 300 million people, with more guns than people, the number of schoolchildren killed by guns in schools isn't statistically significant.

And the "solutions " proposed wouldn't have saved any of them. Regulations that wouldn't have affected any school shootings aren't rational regulations.. They're "feel good" regulations that only infringe on rights for no benefit.

There was a commentator who was lambasted for stating that if these students really wanted to "save lives", they should learn cpr. That's actually a valid argument. You're not likely to ever be involved in a school shooting, but it's more likely you'll actually use cpr than get shot at school. Purely a statistical argument..

Soooo- in light of the facts, who has the irrational fear? Keep in mind, if you're going to be a victim of "gun violence", there's a 97% chance the gun involved will be a handgun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates