Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 06:50 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,055,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I am a woman who is not sympathetic to the #METOO movement. Yes, I have also been in situations of unwanted male attention, what woman hasn't been? However, I was always careful to not get in any situations with either men of sketchy character, or men of better character but who were drunk. But I also never accepted dates with men that I had no intention of starting a romance with, just for the sake of free drinks and/or a dinner.

Otherwise, are Christine Blasey Ford's parents still alive? I wonder what their take on this situation with Kavanaugh it? Are they at all upset that as a 15 year old, she went to parties with alcohol involved and no adults at those houses? I know that my parents would have been very upset with me and punished me for doing something so stupid.
Wow, you managed to blame the victim AND her parents! Impressive. Female victims probably "asked for it" and "dressed suggestively," too, in your view? Boys can't be blamed. It's those darn girls who keep ending up raped. They ought to know better!

Old 09-27-2018, 07:09 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I am a woman who is not sympathetic to the #METOO movement. Yes, I have also been in situations of unwanted male attention, what woman hasn't been? However, I was always careful to not get in any situations with either men of sketchy character, or men of better character but who were drunk. But I also never accepted dates with men that I had no intention of starting a romance with, just for the sake of free drinks and/or a dinner.

Otherwise, are Christine Blasey Ford's parents still alive? I wonder what their take on this situation with Kavanaugh it? Are they at all upset that as a 15 year old, she went to parties with alcohol involved and no adults at those houses? I know that my parents would have been very upset with me and punished me for doing something so stupid.
So are you saying that because there was the possibility of "romance" in your mind then if something did happen even if you didn't want it to right then it would still be somehow okay?

Or you're saying that men who don't think you're using them for dinner will be "gentlemen" and have no reason to use YOU because you're not using them?

And how does this have any bearing on CBF? Was dinner involved? She said she had one drink - I know, how can you even believe her? We've already heard that Kavanaugh was an angel in every regard so unless SHE initiated how could ANYTHING have even happened? The trollop!

Old 09-27-2018, 07:19 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,843,742 times
Quite frankly I could not give two rips less about what happened at a teen party 36 years ago. If we were all held accountable for stupid stuff we did as teens our entire life, hardly any of us would have a job.

The fact that she brings it up now 36 years later just to stick it to him speaks volumes about her character as far as I am concerned. The time for reporting it was 36 years ago.

Old 09-27-2018, 07:28 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,055,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Quite frankly I could not give two rips less about what happened at a teen party 36 years ago. If we were all held accountable for stupid stuff we did as teens our entire life, hardly any of us would have a job.

The fact that she brings it up now 36 years later just to stick it to him speaks volumes about her character as far as I am concerned. The time for reporting it was 36 years ago.
Would you feel the same way if the alleged crime were a different one-- attempted murder, for example? Just curious, if you think the issue is that it happened a long time ago, or if the issue is that attempted rape really isn't a big deal to you.

Old 09-27-2018, 07:45 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,184,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Wow, you managed to blame the victim AND her parents! Impressive. Female victims probably "asked for it" and "dressed suggestively," too, in your view? Boys can't be blamed. It's those darn girls who keep ending up raped. They ought to know better!
Yup. It's idiotic to consider all victims always 100% blameless for their bad circumstances. And thinking like that will only consider the cycle of stupid behaviour and poor decision making.

And "dressing suggestively" is indeed part of the problem for these women too. Just as women dress up for a romantic date, dressing suggestively does send visual signals to men that these women are interested in being approached for romance or sex. Wearing high heels is also enhancing a woman's sexual interest. It's all about non-verbal signals. BTW I studied semiotics in college.

And it's also a fallacy to vilify all white men from "privileged" backgrounds as being the only sexual predators. From my own personal experiences over many decades, the vast majority of unwelcome sexual advances to me came from black and Hispanic males.

And why no outrage over how Central Americans treat their womenfolk? If we consider domestic abuse as a possible reason for refugee status from countries like Guatemala, then why don't show outrage to their menfolk and try to fix thosemacho cultures instead? And we shouldn't let in male Central American immigrants and refugees until we are absolutely certain that they are respectful of all women in their lives.

Old 09-27-2018, 07:50 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,843,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Would you feel the same way if the alleged crime were a different one-- attempted murder, for example? Just curious, if you think the issue is that it happened a long time ago, or if the issue is that attempted rape really isn't a big deal to you.
First, that is a bit of a big step from attempted murder to attempted rape. Nice job of trying to bend it in your favor. However, I would feel the same way. If the victim knew their attacker in an attempted murder and chose not to report it to police for 36 years for whatever reason but then out of the blue decides they want to stick it to them at this point. Yes I would feel the same way. The story is not believable at this point.

Secondly, I don't buy the "attempted rape" accusation. It sounds more like a party full of drunken teenagers and he tried to get some from her and she resisted. It was over at that point. Going for it and being shot down and attempted rape are two completely different things.

If it had happened two months ago and she was traumatized from an actual attempted rape and it took her a couple of months to recover and get it together to come forward it would be believable. Waiting 36 years and now all of the sudden she is a suffering victim is not believable at all.

Old 09-27-2018, 07:57 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I can't presume to know why any specific woman would tell her story years later. In the case of Dr. Ford, my guess would be that it has been very hard for her to see Kavanaugh being praised as a great man, deserving of sitting on the highest court of the land, knowing what he (allegedly) did to her in the past. I'm sure you're aware, if you've been following the news, that Dr Ford started discussing the incident with her therapist back in 2012. So it's not like she just made it up to prevent Kavanaugh from being confirmed.

In general, my guess would be that women are starting to tell their stories because they know how their silence affected their lives. I think they want something better for the women of today and tomorrow. I think they must surely recognize that conviction of their attacker is unlikely, but perhaps they hope to change the climate, the stigma against the victim, and what they assumed would be a traumatic and likely ineffective experience of reporting.
Exactly. Conservatives can say that she's lying just because it's a partisan political ploy, but it's possible she's telling the truth and just discussing it now for a very important reason. What is Kavanaugh is confirmed and a case comes in front of him involving women and their rights to confront sexual predators? The court already leans right. If Kavanaugh is confirmed and IF he is guilty, he will naturally want to protect the rights of people who attack women. She has the chance to stop this from happening. No one has been able to tell me what dog she has in this fight if her claim is false. She isn't politically active. Why would Ford be accusing him if she's a liar? Because she doesn't like the way he dresses? Ridiculous.

I'm still amazed that so many conservatives automatically dismiss her. Like a powerful man can't assault a woman (who wasn't a woman, but a teenager, if her claim is true). There have been many incidents of many men who have been proven to sexually assault women. Anyone remember Bill Cosby?

Old 09-27-2018, 08:14 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,184,340 times
Well now two other men are claiming to be the ones who assaulted Ford....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...rd/1439569002/

Quote:
WASHINGTON - The Senate Judiciary Committee has questioned two men who say they, not Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh, had the disputed encounter with Christine Blasey Ford at a 1982 house party that led to sexual assault allegations.

Old 09-27-2018, 08:16 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,874,291 times
The presumption of innocence is a victim of the progressive left's seemingly limitless hatred.

Old 09-27-2018, 08:37 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
...or...is there a debate at all? (Figured I'd post it in "Great debates)

I only write this because recently had a handful of female friends on social media post about how ashamed they are of their OWN friends on Facebook are calling the "reporting sexual assault 30 years later to be hogwash". That their friends are dismissing that if they came out with it this late, it was probably consensual and it was just regret sex or something.

(This happens when the guy has sex, and doesn't call her back and SHE calls it rape).

They are upset that their OWN friends find fault with women waiting so long to report it.

It's like "Shame on you for doubting them!"

Be honest, would you seriously block or unfriend, even in real life, your friends that you know on Facebook that have lacked empathy towards the victims coming forward decades later? Does it shock you that many are in opposition against those who come forward with their experiences?
Sorry, This Town, old chum, but I think you're the wrong person to start this debate.

However, the answer's pretty simple. It's extremely difficult for women to report rape at all, because of the intimate nature of the crime. Think, for example, how hard it is for men to report that they're the victims of domestic violence, or that they've been the victim of rape.
Secondly, law enforcement agencies handled reports very badly, long ago, when some of these crimes took place. They didn't take it seriously, until a strong and persistent women's movement eventually succeeded in pushing the issue, and training became available for police precincts. And hospital "rape kits" were developed, but studies have shown that a high percentage of the kids have never been processed. And that's true even in cases of "stranger rape" serial rapists, the kind law enforcement has always taken very seriously. And just FYI, in the case of those "rape kits", emergency room personnel still had to be trained in how to deal with victims compassionately, while getting the sample for the kit. This whole issue, from law enforcement, to emergency hospital staff, to the courts and the public, requires tremendous education on the issue, on the effects of trauma on victims, the psychology of trauma, and so on.

Try to find a small corner of compassion within you, to open up to learning about this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.