Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 09:59 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,810,460 times

Advertisements

I had a friend that was gang raped in her teens by her brother's friends. She never told her parents or anyone about it because of the stigma of being a rape victim. It doesn't matter if it happened decades ago or yesterday. Kavanaugh is under the microscope and lies to have a seat on the supreme court is lowering the bar for a position that should be given to only the very highest of standards. Granted the allegations are mild in comparison to what my friend went through, unless Avanatti knows something we don't know. I guess we will find out tomorrow.

When you are in a position to become part of our supreme court, then we need to know everything there is to know about your character, your belief systems, and your honesty. To make these allegations all or nothing is missing the point. What someone does as a teenager is not as important as to whether you are honest about it.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:04 AM

29,755 posts, read 34,439,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
If someone was assaulted in such a manner, they would likely come out about it just after the shock and all of it work off.

They would not wait until someone is about to have an achievement to make up a story

These are miserable women and their conduct will not prevail.
Many, many women who are sexually assault never come out about it. Look at how the court of public opinion treats these women--there's safety in numbers, they say, but for many it's easier to not have their character and integrity dragged through the mud.

Christine Blazey Ford has been discussing the Kavanaugh incident privately for several years. She did not just make up a story when he was nominated to SCOTUS.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:08 AM

3,219 posts, read 2,441,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
...or...is there a debate at all? (Figured I'd post it in "Great debates)

I only write this because recently had a handful of female friends on social media post about how ashamed they are of their OWN friends on Facebook are calling the "reporting sexual assault 30 years later to be hogwash". That their friends are dismissing that if they came out with it this late, it was probably consensual and it was just regret sex or something.

(This happens when the guy has sex, and doesn't call her back and SHE calls it rape).

They are upset that their OWN friends find fault with women waiting so long to report it.

It's like "Shame on you for doubting them!"

Be honest, would you seriously block or unfriend, even in real life, your friends that you know on Facebook that have lacked empathy towards the victims coming forward decades later? Does it shock you that many are in opposition against those who come forward with their experiences?
I am not opposed to people coming forward many years later, what I am opposed to is people automatically declaring someone guilty just because of a "memory" that may or may not be true. In the case of Kavanaugh, he has no true opportunity to defend himself because she can't remember who had the party, where it was and exactly when it was. Same goes for the second accuser though she remembers the party and year she states only after discussing it with her lawyer did she conclude it was Kavanaugh without any witnesses. Honestly in the second case, I can't believe she wouldn't have told someone that he pulled it out during a drinking game. Being a somewhat older woman, if that happened to me I sure as heck would have been telling some girlfriends. I can sympathize with Ford, but I can't automatically believe her memories with no one coming forth saying they remembered the party.

It is so hard, because you want to support a woman abused but at the same time the current climate is so full of hate for conservatives that makes one wonder what is the truth.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:04 AM

9,174 posts, read 13,270,011 times
Quote:
...or...is there a debate at all? (Figured I'd post it in "Great debates)

I only write this because recently had a handful of female friends on social media post about how ashamed they are of their OWN friends on Facebook are calling the "reporting sexual assault 30 years later to be hogwash". That their friends are dismissing that if they came out with it this late, it was probably consensual and it was just regret sex or something.

(This happens when the guy has sex, and doesn't call her back and SHE calls it rape).

They are upset that their OWN friends find fault with women waiting so long to report it.

It's like "Shame on you for doubting them!"

Be honest, would you seriously block or unfriend, even in real life, your friends that you know on Facebook that have lacked empathy towards the victims coming forward decades later? Does it shock you that many are in opposition against those who come forward with their experiences?
I can identify with these women (although not necessarily with Christine Ford who I am somewhat skeptical). When I was a teenager, just a few years after Kavanaugh and Ford, I was walking home and some guy kept trying to get me into his car. Said he was lost. At first I believed him and thought he was just kind of stupid. Then I realized what he was trying to do, he was trying to pick up teenage boys.

I still wonder what would have happened if I did get in that car. This bothers me to this very day. For one thing, I do not believe humans should treat each other like that, especially toward women and kids. And I was not even touched. I so I can imagine how people who were really violated feel.

It is not just the actual sexual assault, that is bad enough. It is also the thought that some other human being would treat you like a piece of garbage, something to be used for a brief moment of pleasure and thrown away without any thought.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:24 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,559,248 times
I have never been sexually assaulted or harassed, so I cannot be certain of what I would do or how I would feel.

If a woman is raped she needs to have a rape kit done immediately, and she needs to give a statement to the police. Even if she doesn’t want it to go to trial at that point, there would at least be physical evidence and an account if it does.

Although the events might feel like they just happened yesterday to Ford, how is Kavanaugn supposed to defend himself from events that happened 35 years ago? If this is just a political stunt, his career could be over. We won’t ever know what happened at that party with any reasonable certainty.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:49 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,529,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
How can any reasonable person have the slightest doubt that this Kavanaugh attack is anything, but, a timely, political smear campaign designed entirely to undermine the President and slow-down the Supreme Court nominee process ... in the blind hope the democrats will pick-up a seat or two in the mid-terms??

Even the pretense of trying to conduct a discussion about why a woman would wait 30+ years to suddenly report a time that she "felt endangered" or that she "might be raped," is a sham! The Dems sponsoring this attack clearly lack a sense of common decency, integrity or shame.
Thank you for showing common sense.

Old 09-25-2018, 12:15 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,097,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Thank you for showing common sense.

So you're saying that Ford started discussing this in 2012 knowing that Trump would be elected Pres and Kavanaugh would be being appointed to the SCOTUS? That's what common sense tells you?

Old 09-25-2018, 12:58 PM
KCZ

4,682 posts, read 3,681,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
Although the events might feel like they just happened yesterday to Ford, how is Kavanaugn supposed to defend himself from events that happened 35 years ago? If this is just a political stunt, his career could be over. We won’t ever know what happened at that party with any reasonable certainty.

This situation opens up a potential barrier to any man agreeing to take a high level position, knowing that any accuser can come out of the woodwork and accuse him of sexual harassment or rape from 30 years ago. Even if the accusation remains unproven, his reputation and possibly career are gone. What successful man with a career and family to protect would want to take that risk, even if he had absolutely nothing questionable in his past?

Old 09-25-2018, 01:45 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,402,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
This situation opens up a potential barrier to any man agreeing to take a high level position, knowing that any accuser can come out of the woodwork and accuse him of sexual harassment or rape from 30 years ago. Even if the accusation remains unproven, his reputation and possibly career are gone. What successful man with a career and family to protect would want to take that risk, even if he had absolutely nothing questionable in his past?
Well, that's akin to not taking a promotion because you'd have to pay more taxes if you moved into a higher tax bracket! And with taxes, THAT'S a given...

Despite the mass hysteria that every man is gonna lose his job because of a false claim that's highly unlikely but hey - other men will take whatever promotion it is you turn down!

BTW, are you saying that only high level men get false claims made about them or that only high level men have this kind of behavior? Anyway, women are so irrational they just pick guys at random ya know, executive or not.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:57 PM

119 posts, read 105,306 times
Quote:
Murder is the only exception that has NO statute of limitations.
Sex abuse of a child has no statue of limitations in a few states now (it isn't retroactive, however - i.e., if the perp was off the hook before the SOL was extended, then he isn't then able to be put in jail AFAIK).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.