Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 08:29 PM

24,917 posts, read 9,663,621 times

Advertisements

Here’s my take; legalize prostitution

That way all these pervert, loser, sick, crazy, etc individuals no longer have an excuse to take advantage of women just because they can’t get laid

That’s what it all comes down to. Men who can’t or refuse to get laid the normal legal way, where both parties are consensual. Instead, assaulting the woman and taking it from them.

Either that, or we need contracts of consent to be signed before every sexual encounter. We live in a world where men are expected to make the first move, and the ones that do are accused of sexual assault. So since women won’t be making the first move anytime soon, as dictated by society, let’s break out the consent contracts.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:03 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,335,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Ok, so what would you say about the Pedophile Catholic Priests, the majority of which involved little boys? MALES. Statute of limitations for them as well? Many of these cases also go back DECADES. Fine for that involving now 30 or 40 year old MEN, but not for WOMEN?

Fine for a male but not for a woman? You are a sexist if you say that.
The statute of limitations is a legal rule, pertaining to prosecution. BK is not being prosecuted.

I am as horrified and outraged as you about what seems like widespread sexual abuse of minors, who have been mostly male. There are some states who have no statute of limitations for child sexual abuse. I hope that where it is possible, prosecutions will happen. I believe that Catholic Church owes these people lifetime therapy. I believe Pope Francis has shown remorse.

What I am getting out of these revelations is that powerful men (mostly) use their power to do what they want to less powerful people. When their are no checks on their power, they get away with their actions.

I also want to respectfully mention that the prep school and Yale seem pretty complicit in their male students"
shenanigans.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:27 PM

51,244 posts, read 24,711,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
This situation opens up a potential barrier to any man agreeing to take a high level position, knowing that any accuser can come out of the woodwork and accuse him of sexual harassment or rape from 30 years ago. Even if the accusation remains unproven, his reputation and possibly career are gone. What successful man with a career and family to protect would want to take that risk, even if he had absolutely nothing questionable in his past?
So you're suggesting that after Kavanaugh...or Trump...no man will aspire to the Supreme Court or the presidency.

I just have a gut feeling that you're wrong on that.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:34 PM
KCZ

4,698 posts, read 3,729,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Here’s my take; legalize prostitution

That way all these pervert, loser, sick, crazy, etc individuals no longer have an excuse to take advantage of women just because they can’t get laid

That’s what it all comes down to. Men who can’t or refuse to get laid the normal legal way, where both parties are consensual. Instead, assaulting the woman and taking it from them.

Either that, or we need contracts of consent to be signed before every sexual encounter. We live in a world where men are expected to make the first move, and the ones that do are accused of sexual assault. So since women won’t be making the first move anytime soon, as dictated by society, let’s break out the consent contracts.

Most rapes are about power and control, not "getting laid." Violent predators, controlling employers, drunk gropers, are all going to keep attacking women even if prostitution is legal. Nevada's rape rates are no better than the rest of the country. And maybe the men who are raping women just to get laid need to learn that No means No.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...e-us-by-state/
https://www.cnn.com/2014/02/03/opini...ist/index.html

Old 09-26-2018, 03:50 AM

37,193 posts, read 42,384,789 times
Sexual assault and rape can and should be reported ASAP. If you've waited 30-40 years your memory is not going to be right. That's just a fact about the human brain. Sure you may know Jimmy X raped you, but the details are probably going to be remembered differently than they actually occurred which can cause all sorts of problems.

In the case of something less dramatic, like unwanted touching or the like, our memories are even more likely to be wrong the longer we wait to tell the story. Over time some details fade and we fill in the blanks each time we think about it with new details that replace the old ones in our minds. After a couple decades the story may not resemble reality at all.

I'm also pretty fed up with what we call sexual assault these days, especially in situations where someone clearly doesn't have a history or predisposition to any such thing but maybe put a move on someone at a party that one time when liquid courage was involved. Some things are just normal human interactions and let's face it, many girls are waiting for that move...humans don't read each others minds and we are constantly learning from each other. The best way to handle those things is on the spot, use your voice. If that puts and end to it then you've handled it correctly. If you were in a vulnerable position when it happened then learn from it, don't let yourself be in that position again, and be thankful nothing worse happened. If it's a recurring thing then yes, tell people and get help from proper authorities.

Old 09-26-2018, 05:20 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,582,174 times
My thought is this: The longer someone waits to report being sexually assaulted/raped, the less likely they are to be believed because most likely, they've changed their story or omitted important details about the rape/sex assault. I feel for anyone who's been sexually assaulted, but why not come forward that instant? This way, the victim has a better chance of getting justice.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:28 AM

51,244 posts, read 24,711,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
My thought is this: The longer someone waits to report being sexually assaulted/raped, the less likely they are to be believed because most likely, they've changed their story or omitted important details about the rape/sex assault. I feel for anyone who's been sexually assaulted, but why not come forward that instant? This way, the victim has a better chance of getting justice.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...forward-sooner

That should answer your question.

Old 09-26-2018, 10:57 AM

20,714 posts, read 16,497,537 times
[quote=Mircea;53187557]
Concerning Kavannaugh, there was no rape or sexual assault.

At the very least, it was poor judgment exercised by a very young adult at a party, at most it was minor sexual imposition, which is defined by most States as the touching of the victim's erogenous zones for sexual gratification.

Sexual imposition is a low level misdemeanor, and note that nearly all States bar a conviction of sexual imposition solely on the basis of the victim's testimony.

In other words, you need witnesses to corroborate the victim's testimony, or video evidence, or physical evidence of some sort, and without it you can't even bring charges.

Some might suggest sexual harassment, but even that fails, because sexual harassment requires a pattern of behavior, but you need only 2 incidents to establish a pattern.

[quote=MinivanDriver;53172638]I don't believe in a 'boys will be boys' mentality.
Quote:

Why not?

People are curious. Boys are people, and they are curious. So are girls, but boys tend to be more aggressive, and that's due in part to the fact that many adult girls not only expect that, but demand it.

However, adults, regardless of their age, should exercise a little more restraint than boys and girls.

Parents could do a much better job teaching their children, but I doubt that will happen since many parents are poor teachers. That pretty much leaves it up to the schools to teach children the proper conduct.

Even so, your Society is largely the problem.

It has devalued and debased sex into meaningless nothingness, while simultaneously glorifying it.

It's very difficult for many people to operate in a Society when receiving so many mixed messages from commercial advertising, television shows, films, music, the internet, and other people around them.

They often (but not always) do.

A one-off incident isn't pause of concern. It's when there's an established pattern of incidents that people should be very concerned.
Such craziness.....why are you using a definition for "imposition" when what was described as being held down with a hand over her mouth? Is this the aggressive behavior that many "adult girls" (???) expect, nay demand? Are you one of the many? Do tell.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:28 PM

5,488 posts, read 4,502,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I won't get into points 1-3 but I very much agree with your points 4 and 5. People are conflating getting a prison sentence with getting a job. I've heard nothing said that he will even suffer any possible repercussions with his CURRENT position.

In other positions ("at will employment") employers can very nearly hire anyone they want outside of running afoul of some extremely narrow discrimination rules. So just as they COULD let all this go and welcome him aboard, they'd be perfectly justified in dismissing his candidacy based on the POSSIBILITY or APPEARANCE of wrongdoing - happens all.the.time in the real world. Interestingly in some practice sessions over the weekend he was very irritated at and refused to answer a number of questions about his drinking and other "personal" behavior - probably similar to what he wanted to ask Clinton way back when.

But, I think he's shown enough evasion and dishonesty in his other responses to throw a good amount of doubt on giving him a lifetime appointment.
This ^^

Someone can work for say, 6 months to 2 years. Then his employer finds out that he lied on his resume (e.g. he was 10 credits short of a degree, padded his resume with jobs that he was never at, etc.). Typically, his ass will get canned. That he's proven he can do the job isn't the issue. It's shifted to his character and integrity.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:38 PM

8,792 posts, read 8,209,370 times
Cosby has been convicted decades later. If you believe the evidence is it because it happened and was not just hearsay.

In the case of Kavanaugh (or any judge), I don't think it is an attempt to get a conviction, but to raise questions and talk about his character - or lack thereof.

IMO, if someone participated in or was present at a rape and did nothing to stop it, he is guilty of rape. Can he change over the years? Maybe, but it points to a serious character flaw that needs to be examined, scrutinized, and debated if this is a person who is going to be given the keys to the entire country. In this case, in my opinion, no Statute of Limitations can or should exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates