Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 12:45 PM

51,143 posts, read 24,624,493 times

Advertisements

Interesting that, for the most part, boys who were molested by priests years ago were sympathized with, while, for the most part, women who come forward years later are condemned for their previous silence.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:48 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,112,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Interesting that, for the most part, boys who were molested by priests years ago were sympathized with, while, for the most part, women who come forward years later are condemned for their previous silence.

It's pretty fascinating how they are treated so differently. Isn't it?

Old 09-26-2018, 12:52 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,949,628 times
Quote:

Men who are so good overall, I think, have a hard time believing so many other males exhibit these criminal behaviors at any time, in the past or present.

Because they can't fathom committing a sexual crime, they assume others are just like them.

They aren't.

Your colleagues, your gym partner, your pastor, your family member etc....could have been or could be a sexual offender and you'd never know it.

Listen to women.

Old 09-26-2018, 02:41 PM

28,712 posts, read 18,920,433 times
I dislike with a passion the idea of Kavanaugh being on the supreme court.

However, I can't see any moral difference between accepting Ford's account without question--and acting "appropriately" on it--and the lynching of Emmett Till.

In both cases, we have a woman making an accusation of sexual assault with zero evidence against the "unsympathetic male of the times."

Back then it was a black man who was 14 at the time; today it's a white man who was 15 at the time. But the moral circumstances are precisely the same. We know now, decades later, that the woman lied on Emmett.

Old 09-26-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
It makes a difference when the numbers start to tally, such as in the case of Bill Cosby and almost always the case with molestation by priests.

Old 09-26-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I dislike with a passion the idea of Kavanaugh being on the supreme court.

However, I can't see any moral difference between accepting Ford's account without question--and acting "appropriately" on it--and the lynching of Emmett Till.

In both cases, we have a woman making an accusation of sexual assault with zero evidence against the "unsympathetic male of the times."

Back then it was a black man who was 14 at the time; today it's a white man who was 15 at the time. But the moral circumstances are precisely the same. We know now, decades later, that the woman lied on Emmett.
It isn't about "accepting" Ford's account. It's about the refusal to investigate it and be open-minded about it. After all, several white Republican senators have basically stated that they've already made up their minds...before the evidence is in.

What are you afraid of? That the truth will come out in an investigation?

Old 09-26-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
It isn't about "accepting" Ford's account. It's about the refusal to investigate it and be open-minded about it. After all, several white Republican senators have basically stated that they've already made up their minds...before the evidence is in.

What are you afraid of? That the truth will come out in an investigation?
I'm fine with an investigation.

Although we already know there are no witnesses and no evidence, so how much investigation is going to be satisfactory?

That's a real question I'd like you to answer.

Old 09-26-2018, 02:56 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,418,917 times
No one knew that Cosby could be capable of sexual assault. In fact no one wanted to believe it because "he was America's Dad" and did so many "good things". But hey, 50 women claiming he hurt them is difficult to shove under the rug, rightly so. Weinstein was maybe a little easier to accept the accusations.

Kavanaugh is accused and investigating him makes him no different from any other men who are accused.
If you knew he did it this or other illegal things and did not come forward before he took over a life time judicial office would you feel good about yourself allowing him to do damage to the whole nation for the rest of his life? In my opinion the allegations have come out just in time and not political timed. We have to know.

I don't think people can see that this is a tipping point in our society. It's not about politics per se. Women are braver now following in the footsteps of the women who have been the first to come forward. This is not an attack on men fueled by revenge and getting even or political reasons (except for creating awareness).
I know in my own experience that talking about this to anyone, anyone, let alone testifying in such a hostile high level hearing while she is surrounded by men is going to bring up significant pain for these women. What man, or justice candidate, will admit to this willingly. No one starts out doing this and will even claim they didn't do it even after irrefutable evidence says otherwise.

I also look at Trump who himself brought up dirty, unsubstantiated slurs on Hilary just days before the election. He was the one who used dirty tactics to smear her right out in the open.
How anyone can believe him about anything is totally incredulous and to trust any of his choices for high level positions are suspect. He fires a lot of his appointees anyway. One day his people are praised and the next day they are low-lifes. If he all of the sudden wants to oust Kavanaugh from his won position as Justice he won't be able to do it. That is how serious this is. We need to know everything.

Old 09-26-2018, 03:06 PM

13,296 posts, read 8,520,642 times
I've shared this before...

In 1968 my foster mom was raped and tortured for two days..she was 19.With a son. She went to trial. (Amazing that she came forward with her claim in that era?) the guys were convicted. The foster mom was bat$hit crazy after that and I got to first hand see how she replicated her torture onto us foster kids.

2006 A co workers daughter (17 yrs young) was raped. She filed her claim...did the rape kit . ANd because she was gang raped they couldn't pin point one person so they dismissed her case entirely.

Two completely different eras yet both came forward. So I can't say its an "era" thing...its a human thing. Both spoke up , both from way different background. Both had different results.

Most do tell someone ..either thru behaviors or words...despite the not "uttering" it (to their recollection).
the behavior changes....it has no choice but to....

Old 09-26-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I'm fine with an investigation.

Although we already know there are no witnesses and no evidence, so how much investigation is going to be satisfactory?

That's a real question I'd like you to answer.
No, we don't know that. That's what a full investigation by the FBI would tell us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates