Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2019, 09:22 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,469,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I am in that camp. I hate to see an animal hurt or abused. Yes, it bothers me when a human is hurt, but, as much as it bothers you, I feel worse when it happens to an animal.

I would not put my cats lives above the lives of my sons lives, but if it were a stranger, it would not bother me as much. You might think that is strange, I do not.
No, that's not just strange, THAT'S F'ED UP. I actually have no words for those with your line of thinking.
And I pray that I never face a situation where my survival hinged on someone like you. Anyone's life is valuable, animal or human. Your thinking is reprehensible, disturbing, and irrational. Obviously, you've had some very messed up relationships with human beings and you project that onto animals.

I don't need to measure myself as a "pet lover". I love my pets. But I am also not irrational and see things objectively.

Jeez, yeah people can suck, but that doesn't drive me to deify my pets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2019, 10:49 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,868,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Anyone saying pets don't bond specifically with you or have favorite people or would choose food over their specific owners isn't aware of any of the recent research they've done with dogs, mri, fmri, etc.

No. Dogs fo not see people as interchangeable and don't simply show affection for food/protection.

That being said, the reason I like animals more than people has less to do with animals and more to do with the fact that most people suck.
I know people who don't suck. Lovely people who make me realize that there certainly are lots of folks who don't suck.
But on the day to day, it's clear the vast majority is selfish, entitled, and inconsiderate.
Just go for a drive. That right there will show you.
I agree that man's best or greatest enemy, and sometimes friend, is fellow man. That's why I'm sort of an isolationist, separatist but I digress.

I believe people are exceedingly selfish and that's largely the basis the of their attraction to the affection of pets.
And all I'm saying is as animals don't have free will or choice their affection doesn't have much value to me. And I do think their affection and loyalty is conditional on their human owners providing for them.

Left to their own devices without human intervention and benefactor, animals are not generally kind or benevolent to each other and other animals including man. Animals have to be domesticated and tamed.

Old 11-10-2019, 11:01 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I agree that man's best or greatest enemy, and sometimes friend, is fellow man. That's why I'm sort of an isolationist, separatist but I digress.

I believe people are exceedingly selfish and that's largely the basis the of their attraction to the affection of pets.
And all I'm saying is as animals don't have free will or choice their affection doesn't have much value to me. And I do think their affection and loyalty is conditional on their human owners providing for them.

Left to their own devices without human intervention and benefactor, animals are not generally kind or benevolent to each other and other animals including man. Animals have to be domesticated and tamed.
That’s not true. Look up the story about the three elephants that died trying to save a baby elephant that fell to the bottom of the ravine near waterfall. Look at the video of the three bears trying to pull the baby out of the road after he got hit. You want to make them a little more than cardboard cut out without thoughts or feelings, but no one really knows the extent of what they feel. When adult animals are willing to die in order to save a baby that’s not even their’s, I think it throws all your theories out the window.

Old 11-10-2019, 11:16 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,748,791 times
Pets love you unconditionally, Humans don't.

Old 11-10-2019, 11:41 AM

914 posts, read 642,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
No, that's not just strange, THAT'S F'ED UP. I actually have no words for those with your line of thinking.
And I pray that I never face a situation where my survival hinged on someone like you. Anyone's life is valuable, animal or human. Your thinking is reprehensible, disturbing, and irrational. Obviously, you've had some very messed up relationships with human beings and you project that onto animals.

I don't need to measure myself as a "pet lover". I love my pets. But I am also not irrational and see things objectively.

Jeez, yeah people can suck, but that doesn't drive me to deify my pets.
This ^^^^ This is a great example of why I personally tend to care for animals more than fellow humans. This reply from riaelise is meant to 1) make him/her feel more virtuous than others; and 2) confronts others for simply voicing an opinion.

Perfect! Thanks for demonstrating the point for me, riaelise. lol

YOU are why I love animals more

Last edited by settled00; 11-10-2019 at 11:52 AM..

Old 11-10-2019, 11:45 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
This ^^^^ This is a great example of why I personally tend to care for animals more than fellow humans. This reply from riaelise is meant to 1) make him/her feel more virtuous than others; and 2) confronts others for simply voicing an opinion.

They start a thread under the guise of actual curiosity about how other people think, but it's really an excuse to moralize and tout their own self-percieved superiority.

Old 11-10-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
People are exhausting and we can't really let our guard down with other humans. Others judge us according to our social status, appearance, age, income level, political or religious beliefs, and many other superficial traits. Animals, on the other hand, are relaxing and rejuvenating and interactions with them are mostly positive. They don't care if they live in a mansion or a shack, or if you are young or old, or beautiful or not, or whom you voted for last election.
Many times, living in California I see homeless people frequently with dogs just laying down on the sidewalk side by side taking in the sun. I always look at the dog's face, and eyes to see how relaxed and content they are just having their best mate by their side. It's a beautiful site to see (relax, I'm talking about the dog's contentment, not the homeless situation). It would be the same relaxed contentment if they were laying out by the pool in a luxurious house. It doesn't seem to matter to the pups. You're so right, they seem to have priorities different from us. Makes me think of the song Chasing Cars. "would you lie with me and just forget the world?"

Last edited by settled00; 11-10-2019 at 12:24 PM..

Old 11-10-2019, 12:10 PM

great news for you beautiful animal lovers, President Trump will be signing a new bill making animal cruelty a federal crime.

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/07/77728...-federal-crime

We animal advocates are thrilled. Other countries, such as Holland have already implemented such laws. It's a huge step after fighting for so many years on this, it's finally happening! See Animal Defense Fund for more information. There will be more information soon.

Old 11-10-2019, 12:18 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,469,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post

YOU are why I love animals more
I'm flattered! Thanks

Made my Sunday afternoon!

And I'm not "confronting". The definition to confront is to meet face to face. I'm voicing my opinion ON A MESSAGE BOARD, and if you don't like it, then that's fine too. It works both ways.

And we can dance to the same tune - It's "pet lovers" like you that demonstrate my point. Not helping your fellow man (even if they are a stranger) means that you are part of "humanity's problem" and well that means you would suck too.

I've been rescuing animals including our dog and rabbit. You have nothing on me when it comes to loving animals and caring for them. I love their company, without question. I care for them as I would for any other family member. But I also enjoy the company of humans and I would never say that I have a preference for either. And when I want to be left alone, I actually prefer to have NO company.

Old 11-10-2019, 12:31 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,575,024 times
I also prefer dogs over people.

My dogs aren't just pets, they're my partners and work side by side with me every day. I have a ranch and the work would be a lot harder without my dogs to work the stock. A horse is also a labor saver, and I get a lot of pleasure from riding my horse with my dogs working the brush and draws bringing out the cattle.

At night, the sound of a horse grazing while my dogs and I sit by the fire making our supper, lying under the stars with my dogs snuggled up so we're one big warm pile, knowing nothing will get near me because my dogs will protect me and if necessary, willingly sacrifice themselves to save me, who needs more than that?

Yes I talk to my dogs, they're far more interested in what I say than the horse or cows. We sing together and they don't make any rude comments about my voice or choice of songs.
We hunt together, and many times they've brought in a rabbit for supper after I've missed a shot, so we all eat.

Yeah I'm basically a hermit in many ways in part because I couldn't stand how self centered and egotistical humans usually are. I don't mind sharing or giving when needed, but I don't like having the fruits of my labor confiscated to support some lowlife in another state or who chose addiction or crime as their lifestyle, but expect me to pay for their poor choices by feeding them, housing them and paying for their medical care through the government taking what I earn through my own labor and sweat.

I have several close friends, but they are exceptional humans, not the average.

So in answer to the OP, yes I do prefer dogs to humans in part because I can depend on them in all situations to stand with me, work with me, share my Joy's and sorrows, and bring a lot of joy and pleasant companionship to my life.

Would I put a dog's life over a human's? Tough question. It would depend on the dog and the human. I could see myself choosing a good dog over some lowlife, but it would definitely be on a case by case basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates