Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2020, 08:09 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,725,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
The family of 4 may depend on that 1 working person The 8,000 would address that issue. And besides who cares if they get 8,000 while I "only" get 2,000? Good for them. I still got 2K.
I wish that I could have a Kind, generous soul to be willing to support others through my labors. Alas, I like to enjoy the rewards of my labor myself. . I cannot and will not be Santa Claus. I’d rather engage in a loveless marriage with prenup or live in another country if it came to that. Once a household’s fixed costs are met, the household generally needs less to meet budget. That would leave large families with much more disposable income than the single taxpayer workhorse.

Last edited by Hopeful for Life; 05-24-2020 at 08:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2020, 08:13 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
The way I see it is that a "safety net" SHOULD exist for those who deserve it -- meaning those who HAVE worked or CAN work but are no longer ABLE to do so. (Enough caps for you?? )

What I object to is supporting people who are simply lazy and/or dishonest and who have no problem living off the hard work of others, which, of course, can apply to the wealthy as well as to the "common folk".

Old 05-24-2020, 09:10 PM

15,429 posts, read 7,487,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertfchew View Post
I would take that deal if we also added a flat income tax and a repeal of almost all gun laws and made the death penalty legal for rapists and murderers.
That all sounds good, except that there are many mistakes made in court, and innocent people get convicted all the time. Look up the Innocence Project.

Quote:
self driving trucks are a long ways away. We don't even have cars that can be self driven. stop kidding yourself.
Self driving truks will probably be around before self driving cars, especailly on interstate routes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
The way I see it is that a "safety net" SHOULD exist for those who deserve it -- meaning those who HAVE worked or CAN work but are no longer ABLE to do so. (Enough caps for you?? )

What I object to is supporting people who are simply lazy and/or dishonest and who have no problem living off the hard work of others, which, of course, can apply to the wealthy as well as to the "common folk".
How do you determine who is deserving?

Old 05-24-2020, 09:20 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
Where does the money come from? If my taxes go up due to a Universal basic income, how does this help me? I guess if you pay no taxes, it's a win for you. $1000/month X 330,000,000 = 330 billion a month x 12 = 4 trillion a year. Should be no problem.
Andrew Yang explained how it would be paid for when he was running for president. It would be paid for by a VAT.

Yang didn't factor in a pandemic. He proposed it because of how he sees the future of employment. In that there will less people having certain jobs because of automation and AI.

Old 05-24-2020, 10:24 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post

How do you determine who is deserving?
As I think I already made very clear in my post, I consider someone who deserves help is someone who CAN'T work to earn enough money to support himself or herself and his/her dependents. In other words, I think that anyone who CAN work or provide for himself/herself, but REFUSES to do so is not deserving of any help at all unless there are truly helpless people, such as young children, involved.

Old 05-24-2020, 10:46 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Because on welfare obese people can not afford the proper nutrition --- you are spreading the myths told of the poor. Truck drivers will be replaced by self driving trucks and all the places truck drivers stop to spend their money on their routes will dry up --- tax codes and economic rules must be rewritten so as to provide for a sustainable future, because it won't be only the poor who are effected.
btw: many at the top were at the bottom once too and visa versa ...
Quote:
self driving trucks are a long ways away. We don't even have cars that can be self driven. stop kidding yourself.
Did you do an Internet search for news on its development after you made that statement? Self driving 18 wheelers are here. And I would think a person would know that unless they've taken up residence on Mars. Unmanned trucks are but a legislative bill away from being on the highways.

"The 1.4-million-member union, hoping to protect the jobs of truck drivers, has been lobbying at the federal and state levels to slow legislation to make it easier for companies to roll out self-driving trucks. "

No driver needed: Self-driving trucks are starting to move cargo on the nation's highways

"At Locomation, it took the Mericli brothers about 10 months to get their self-driving trucks up and running. Both had previously worked on autonomous car projects at Carnegie Mellon University and were familiar with the technology and equipment they would need.
<snip>
In the double-truck scenario, two drivers will start the journey as usual, pulling out of a rest stop or loading dock and onto the highway. Then, with just the push of a button, the driver in the second truck can activate its autonomous mode and let the truck take over.

So far, Locomation said trucking companies have indicated they would pay drivers for that time on the road, but there is no legal requirement to do so. Already, the trucking industry is facing a debate over whether drivers should be paid for their breaks — whether in an autonomous truck or not." [my emphasis]

A Self-Driving Freight Truck Just Drove Across the Country to Deliver Butter

"Back in March 2017, Plus.ai became one of the first autonomous trucking companies to land a California Autonomous Vehicle Testing License, which is exactly what it sounds like. According to the California Department of Motor Vehicles, there are now 65 companies that hold one of these permits."

UPS self-driving delivery trucks are on the road

So which do we think we will see first to happen within about a decade ... law allowing unmanned 18 wheelers or law allowing a UBI? One has the potential to create jobs and wealth; the other will take away jobs, but still has the potential to create wealth [for corporate]. People wouldn't know a good thing if it jumped up and bit them in the buttocks, so I know which one I would bet on, if I were a betting person.

Old 05-25-2020, 12:31 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Yes, every one gets it and no, if it is means tested then it isn't a UBI. One qualifies because they are human and a citizen of the u.s.
Being human is not enough. You don't get to mooch-leech off others because you are breathing and standing around. Work or die. Pick one.

Old 05-25-2020, 03:08 AM

7,650 posts, read 4,597,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Why is that a problem? More specifically, why is that the Federal government's problem?

My mother volunteers, quite a bit actually. She's logged thousands of hours at the local hospital and her time at the church isn't tracked. She's always hit up for baking for bake sales for the volunteer fire department and local fundraisers. She calls everyday now that she's in quarantine. The lady can't sit still.

Is it the Federal Government's business that she does this? Has she not chosen to give her time and resources of her own free will?

That someone agreed to do something. Why would we take it upon ourselves to judge whether or not that is right or wrong.

I'd still really like to know why an agreement between consenting parties that is legal needs to be overridden by the Federal government.

Old 05-25-2020, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
As I think I already made very clear in my post, I consider someone who deserves help is someone who CAN'T work to earn enough money to support himself or herself and his/her dependents. In other words, I think that anyone who CAN work or provide for himself/herself, but REFUSES to do so is not deserving of any help at all unless there are truly helpless people, such as young children, involved.
That's still pretty nebulous. Who decides who is deserving? You? Does someone who has a job, but doesn't earn enough to fully support themselves count as deserving? That's the case now, where the vast majority of benefit recipients have a job. How about someone who works just a few hours because they are taking care of an elderly relative? How about someone who had a job last year, but the economy in their town has gone completely in the dumper, and there are no jobs?

Old 05-25-2020, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Being human is not enough. You don't get to mooch-leech off others because you are breathing and standing around. Work or die. Pick one.
In your world, I suppose I would have had to die when I got laid off in early 1985 and there were no jobs in Houston. None, we had entire subdivisions bulldozed after people walked away from their houses after losing jobs. After a year of that, I went back to school and earned a degree, but under your scheme, I should have just died from starvation. I was fortunate that my parents helped me out, since UI ran out fairly quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates