Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2020, 07:03 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Andrew Yang explained how it would be paid for when he was running for president. It would be paid for by a VAT.

Yang didn't factor in a pandemic. He proposed it because of how he sees the future of employment. In that there will less people having certain jobs because of automation and AI.

Sure, let's throw another tax on top of everything else for an instant 25% inflation in prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2020, 07:27 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,070,314 times
The point is, when someone can't find work in the current economic market, they must somehow remake themselves to be more employable. They must learn to adapt. Government isn't going to step in and take care of you, my dear. Grow up and learn to adapt.

If a job for your skill set doesn't exist in your geographic area, then you either must pick up and go elsewhere to find such a job OR develop new skills that are more desirable in your area. If you have to start out low to break into another field, then that's what you have to do.

My specific job skills became obsolete and although I liked what I was doing and was making good money, I had to face reality and make a career change. I had to take courses in a new line of work and then started out in a low paying job until I got experience. Do you think I enjoyed starting out at low wages, after I had worked my way up in the other field? NO. But that is LIFE.

I worked some menial jobs in the meantime while I was making the career change.

Sometimes you ARE FORCED to make changes in your location or career to get work, THAT IS LIFE.

Sitting on your porch expecting to get doled out a check (and expect other people to work to provide for you) is ludicrous.

Old 05-25-2020, 08:58 AM

3,433 posts, read 2,403,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
The point is, when someone can't find work in the current economic market, they must somehow remake themselves to be more employable. They must learn to adapt. Government isn't going to step in and take care of you, my dear. Grow up and learn to adapt.

If a job for your skill set doesn't exist in your geographic area, then you either must pick up and go elsewhere to find such a job OR develop new skills that are more desirable in your area. If you have to start out low to break into another field, then that's what you have to do.

My specific job skills became obsolete and although I liked what I was doing and was making good money, I had to face reality and make a career change. I had to take courses in a new line of work and then started out in a low paying job until I got experience. Do you think I enjoyed starting out at low wages, after I had worked my way up in the other field? NO. But that is LIFE.

Sometimes you ARE FORCED to make changes in your location or career to get work, THAT IS LIFE.

Sitting on your porch expecting to get doled out a check (and expect other people to work to provide for you) is ludicrous.
When you're young and able-bodied that's all well and good. And I agree. If your job as an accountant ends and there aren't any more accountant jobs around, you can either find an accountant job somewhere else and move to it, or you can learn how to be a welder, at the welding plant that's offering jobs to apprentices.

But when you're almost 60 and your department shuts down, one year before you're eligible to retire from the workforce, and you have no other skills and no one wants to hire someone for a job they're going to quit in two years because that's when you actually get to quit and take social security (which you've spent the last 44 years paying in to)...

then it's a whole other situation. And there are millions of people in that situation now. Not old enough for social security, but too old to start over.

Old 05-25-2020, 10:35 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
In your world, I suppose I would have had to die when I got laid off in early 1985 and there were no jobs in Houston. None, we had entire subdivisions bulldozed after people walked away from their houses after losing jobs. After a year of that, I went back to school and earned a degree, but under your scheme, I should have just died from starvation. I was fortunate that my parents helped me out, since UI ran out fairly quickly.
Start cutting lawns and cleaning toilets. BS that there were no jobs in Houston. Total unmitigated BS. There are ALWAYS jobs in Houston. ALWAYS. Lucky your parents bailed you out. I would assume that you now have a brain and are plowing 20% of your income into savings. So that you will never have to mooch-leech again.

Old 05-25-2020, 12:47 PM

15,425 posts, read 7,482,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Start cutting lawns and cleaning toilets. BS that there were no jobs in Houston. Total unmitigated BS. There are ALWAYS jobs in Houston. ALWAYS. Lucky your parents bailed you out. I would assume that you now have a brain and are plowing 20% of your income into savings. So that you will never have to mooch-leech again.
There were no jobs at all. Not even for lawn cutting or such. Geoscientists felt lucky to find jobs as waiters, and those were few and far between. You have absolutely no idea just how bad it was here in the mid-80's. There was no construction work, as there was no construction happening. Nothing. And yes, I was lucky that my parents had the resources to help me out, although it meant moving in with them until I finished school. It helped that I had a car that was paid for, and the per semester cost at the state school I went to was about $700 per semester. My Dad took an early retirement package, and was also out of work, but they had enough savings and retirement money that the marginal costs to support me were small, about $300 per month outside of school, and didn't impact them much.

You have no clue what it's like to live with a low wage, yet you keep spouting your Randian BS like it's the gospel truth.

Old 05-25-2020, 02:28 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,928,784 times
How about we compose a long and a short list of automation proof careers (and jobs) for both high and low attainment individuals facing redundancy in ~10 years. Marc should go first, but it's open to anyone of course. TIA for playing.

Old 05-25-2020, 09:01 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
How about we compose a long and a short list of automation proof careers (and jobs) for both high and low attainment individuals facing redundancy in ~10 years. Marc should go first, but it's open to anyone of course. TIA for playing.
Let’s start the list with the oldest profession in the world. I would probably need to freshen up on some of my skills but there’s videos on YouTube for anything nowadays

Old 05-25-2020, 09:09 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,353,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post

I repped you because I agree with your entire post except for the last sentence. Yes, until very recently, it would have been "ludicrous" for any able-bodied person to do nothing and expect others to support him or her indefinitely, but now what was a ridiculous notion to most people seems to be becoming a reality, or at least a real possibility -- which I think is literally a shame.

Old 05-25-2020, 10:09 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,592,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Yes, every one gets it and no, if it is means tested then it isn't a UBI. One qualifies because they are human and a citizen of the u.s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Being human is not enough. You don't get to mooch-leech off others because you are breathing and standing around. Work or die. Pick one.
Yes, under a UBI being human is enough. Every one gets a check even the corporation owners who exploit their workers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
As I think I already made very clear in my post, I consider someone who deserves help is someone who CAN'T work to earn enough money to support himself or herself and his/her dependents. In other words, I think that anyone who CAN work or provide for himself/herself, but REFUSES to do so is not deserving of any help at all unless there are truly helpless people, such as young children, involved.
Under a UBI there is no one to decide who is worthy and who is not; the government is not taking from one member class of society and giving to another, as even the wealthy get a check. good-by social divide, what will we ever do without it.

Old 05-25-2020, 10:31 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,735,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Yes, under a UBI being human is enough. Every one gets a check even the corporation owners who exploit their workers.

Under a UBI there is no one to decide who is worthy and who is not; the government is not taking from one member class of society and giving to another, as even the wealthy get a check. good-by social divide, what will we ever do without it.

Yeah I work for state gov't agency where the ratio between the highest paid employee and the lowest is a factor of 10:1. Given that there will still very much be a social or socioeconomic divide and adding $1200/month to the bottom line of every rung in the ladder is not really going to change that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates