Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2020, 01:26 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I've never heard of Michael Siebel, but from how he is described here, it certainly sounds like he is fully qualified for the position.

And yet, there will always be a cloud of suspicion hanging over his head. Not because of anything he did or didn't do, but because Alexis Ohanian specifically said that he wanted to be replaced by a black person. And so, Michael Siebel is the replacement black person.

It's unfair to Mr. Siebel, of course, especially since it certainly sounds like he's more than capable of standing on his merits. But blame Ohanian for this, because he couldn't keep his virtue-signaling mouth shut, and now people will think that Mr. Siebel got the job only because he was black.
The question is, why wasn't his phone ringing off the hook before? That's the problem, when things continue with the "old way" and talented people get ignored, everyone misses out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 05:19 PM

2,816 posts, read 2,282,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Well, that's the thing isn't it, by emphasizing that "blacks" require this or that now, 90% of the folks who aren't black are left to wonder "well what about me? I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth." The emphasis on racial group membership rather than everyone's individual situation seems to run counter to the American creed.

By creating a situation where once again the public is advised that it will require measures on parts of the non-black part of the population to assist blacks to achieve what others achieve, you're automatically creating the seed of race-based resentment ironically.

While I generally disagree with your sentiment, I do admit that focusing on group averages can make us blind to individual circumstances within groups. When we talk about diversity/discrimination we tend to focus on race and gender and we should because those are important social factors. But, there are lots of other inequality resulting from immutable factors especially related to class background and slightly less overt biases around personality type, physical attractiveness, and height.

https://www.apa.org/monitor/julaug04/standing

Old 06-18-2020, 05:29 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,376,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
I got one from 23&Me! She even complained about the lack of blacks being represented in her company and practically cried over it as if it was such a tragedy - I guess without realizing that it means she and /or her company is racist and practicing discrimination causing such disproportionate numbers in her ranks.
I was taking education courses at a local university to become a teacher, several years back, and the professor told us "there are too many white teachers already" trying to shame us (white students) about pursuing degrees in education. I refused to apologize for being there. I'm not trying to stop any person of color from getting their degree or applying for teaching jobs.

Old 06-18-2020, 05:33 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Dan Cathy has weighed in! I am really happy about it. He wants white people to LISTEN to the experiences of black people. He sat down with black employees and asked them and he is shocked at how law abiding people are harassed by police and other things. Good for him.

Old 06-18-2020, 07:10 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,451,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
That is a giant myth that somehow Black people are just getting promoted due to race. It is sad that people continue to believe it. The opposite is true. Studies have shown that white men tend to be promoted for potential, everyone else needs gobs of experience before possibly being considered.

... <snip>

Unfortunately when Black people get their long overdue praise and promotions, someone is always trying to claim it was because of affirmative action and ignores the laundry list of accomplishments it takes to even get considered (compared to their peers).
I agree that this is sometimes true; however, we currently have the exact opposite problem when it comes to a position of supreme importance, i.e. the selection of who should be Joe Biden's Vice Presidential running mate.

Black women, not satisfied that Joe Biden has promised that he will appoint a black woman to the Supreme Court, are trying to FORCE Joe Biden into selecting a Black woman (not a "woman of color", but specifically a Black woman) as running mate on the ticket, even to promoting some black women who should never be under consideration at all: Stacey Abrams being just the most glaring example of someone lacking the qualifications to lead this country. How do you feel about that? Do you think they are trying to take advantage of the BLACK LIVES MATTER protests to advance their cause, and if so, do you think that is OK?

Argghh. I'd like to debate more about this with you, as I surmise you are a black woman, and I value your input; however, I don't know how much we can discuss the subject here in Great Debates before it is considered to be too political.

For now, I would like to ask you who you mean when you wrote "compared to their peers."

Do you mean only their "black peers" or their "peers (as in competitors for the same position), regardless of race".

(All blue mine.)

Old 06-18-2020, 11:18 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I agree that this is sometimes true; however, we currently have the exact opposite problem when it comes to a position of supreme importance, i.e. the selection of who should be Joe Biden's Vice Presidential running mate.

Black women, not satisfied that Joe Biden has promised that he will appoint a black woman to the Supreme Court, are trying to FORCE Joe Biden into selecting a Black woman (not a "woman of color", but specifically a Black woman) as running mate on the ticket, even to promoting some black women who should never be under consideration at all: Stacey Abrams being just the most glaring example of someone lacking the qualifications to lead this country. How do you feel about that? Do you think they are trying to take advantage of the BLACK LIVES MATTER protests to advance their cause, and if so, do you think that is OK?

Argghh. I'd like to debate more about this with you, as I surmise you are a black woman, and I value your input; however, I don't know how much we can discuss the subject here in Great Debates before it is considered to be too political.

For now, I would like to ask you who you mean when you wrote "compared to their peers."

Do you mean only their "black peers" or their "peers (as in competitors for the same position), regardless of race".

(All blue mine.)
Peers meaning the big group of people competing for the same position.

As for Joe Biden - I want him to pick a black woman. And there are some logically “qualified†candidates. Kamala Harris and Val Demmings are good conventionally qualified people.

I would be shocked and amazed if he picked Stacey Abrams. I think she will make a great leader and she is very sharp and motivated by serving people. But she is definitely inexperienced. But what to me would be absolutely amazing if she was picked - the fact a woman was picked for potential, and not experience for once. And that would be a great signal. I also feel like she is getting a lot of extra criticism. Mayor Pete was hardly qualified and for a minute everyone was rooting for him to get the nomination. We live in a sexist society and the expectations for women to lead are much different than for men. Hilary Clinton followed the politician playbook to the letter and it didn’t get her the top job.

Old 06-19-2020, 05:57 AM

6,701 posts, read 5,930,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Dan Cathy has weighed in! I am really happy about it. He wants white people to LISTEN to the experiences of black people. He sat down with black employees and asked them and he is shocked at how law abiding people are harassed by police and other things. Good for him.
Did he sit down with white employees who have been assaulted by non-white criminals? That's a much higher statistical likelihood.

I'm so disappointed in this guy. Why is it that the children of strong, principled leaders are so spineless?

Old 06-19-2020, 09:41 AM

828 posts, read 415,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
That is a giant myth that somehow Black people are just getting promoted due to race. It is sad that people continue to believe it. The opposite is true. Studies have shown that white men tend to be promoted for potential, everyone else needs gobs of experience before possibly being considered.

Not a myth. Federal laws or they get hit with discrimination suits. Happens all the time if they dont have enough blacks. Why do you think a lot of places require lower test scores for blacks to qualify. From the post office to police.

Even the female black CEO that runs sams club. Told suppliers that she required them to have enough black people in senior staff positions or she would not do business with them. Shows the black entitlement.
If a white CEO said a company had to hire more whites, what would happen?

I do agree it is not all blacks. Some are actually qualified and do good. The ones that dont practice black culture either.

Companies are forced to hire a certain number of blacks or promote them. Or be faced with discrimination suits or protest/boycotts.
Very easy to see this is true.

As far as white men studies. Studies also show in general women are different. More likely to get emotions involved. We see this in everyday life. Women more likely to cry, gossip. Women dont get along with other women as much as men vs men.

And last thing. Studies have shown Asians will get promoted faster in positions with accounting. And studies show Asians are better at math. But you would still call this oppression or racist.

Old 06-19-2020, 09:47 AM

828 posts, read 415,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Majority of black males commit a criminal act.

And also you will find that white adults over the age of 18 are harassed more by police. Then children under the age of 12.

So maybe if we solve this age discrimination problem first. It could help fix and understand the other problems.

Also the problem is blacks want everyone to listen to them. But they dont want to listen to anyone.
To follow police orders.
Or if the stats prove they are 6 times more likely to commit a violent crime. Why not explain why that cant be expected to be harassed twice as much.

Last edited by Steve19605; 06-19-2020 at 09:50 AM.. Reason: add

Old 06-19-2020, 10:45 AM

20,932 posts, read 28,411,051 times
I have not received those emails but we did log onto Lowes website to order something and in big bold letters it said this:Lowes is committed to helping Minority small business open. What about those small businesses that aren't owned by minorities I guess they don't matter? Needless to say Lowes won't be getting my business again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates