Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 12:22 PM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Dan Cathy has weighed in! I am really happy about it. He wants white people to LISTEN to the experiences of black people. He sat down with black employees and asked them and he is shocked at how law abiding people are harassed by police and other things. Good for him.

80% of the people I talk to every day are black, I listen to 'black voices' every day. It's nothing unusual or special to me. I listen to them just like I listen to the Hispanic, Asian or white folks I talk to.

Dan Cathy might be a rich guy for whom black people are from another planet, and maybe there's some folks on this website who have no exposure to black people, but he shouldn't lecture others assuming we're all in the same boat or that we would all hear the same messages when we do listen to 'black people'. Because if you interact with black people regularly, you don't look at them as black people, you look at them as individuals whose personalities and tendencies you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2020, 01:02 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I agree that this is sometimes true; however, we currently have the exact opposite problem when it comes to a position of supreme importance, i.e. the selection of who should be Joe Biden's Vice Presidential running mate.

Black women, not satisfied that Joe Biden has promised that he will appoint a black woman to the Supreme Court, are trying to FORCE Joe Biden into selecting a Black woman (not a "woman of color", but specifically a Black woman) as running mate on the ticket, even to promoting some black women who should never be under consideration at all: Stacey Abrams being just the most glaring example of someone lacking the qualifications to lead this country. How do you feel about that? Do you think they are trying to take advantage of the BLACK LIVES MATTER protests to advance their cause, and if so, do you think that is OK?

Argghh. I'd like to debate more about this with you, as I surmise you are a black woman, and I value your input; however, I don't know how much we can discuss the subject here in Great Debates before it is considered to be too political.

For now, I would like to ask you who you mean when you wrote "compared to their peers."

Do you mean only their "black peers" or their "peers (as in competitors for the same position), regardless of race".

(All blue mine.)

The reason Joe Biden is having a tough time picking a running mate because the democrats knows that people of color as a VP can sink their chances. Democrats run on this fictitious ticket of equality and diversity but the party is far from that. Democrat primaries had people of color and how did they end up with the least diverse candidate?

Old 06-19-2020, 02:01 PM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The reason Joe Biden is having a tough time picking a running mate because the democrats knows that people of color as a VP can sink their chances. Democrats run on this fictitious ticket of equality and diversity but the party is far from that. Democrat primaries had people of color and how did they end up with the least diverse candidate?
A bit off-topic, but an important point. I think one of the reasons companies are falling over each other to apologize and grovel about racism right now, is to cover for the fact that basically nothing is going to change. Companies and governments already have really strong diversity and equity programs (some might argue too strong).

Politically speaking, the majority of Americans do not believe in systemic racism and white privilege, and any political candidate who runs on that will get his rear kicked, hard, in the general election. Companies that preach that stuff too hard have also suffered a backlash from angry customers. Gillette lost billions last year, during an economic boom, and analysts attribute at least some of it to a boycott by white males who were insulted by their ad campaign.

Old 06-19-2020, 02:24 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve19605 View Post
Majority of black males commit a criminal act.
Black that up with concrete statistics.

Quote:
And also you will find that white adults over the age of 18 are harassed more by police. Then children under the age of 12.
Whites are 64% of the population.

Quote:
So maybe if we solve this age discrimination problem first. It could help fix and understand the other problems.
You're only a certain age for that time. You are the race that you are until the day you die.

Quote:
Also the problem is blacks want everyone to listen to them. But they dont want to listen to anyone.
To follow police orders.
Or if the stats prove they are 6 times more likely to commit a violent crime. Why not explain why that cant be expected to be harassed twice as much.
Coming to this forum and finding people essentially complaining about Black people, it won't help at all. I listen better when the person who is doing the talking isn't coming to me with a spirit of arrogance and hate.

Old 06-19-2020, 03:01 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,278,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
80% of the people I talk to every day are black, I listen to 'black voices' every day. It's nothing unusual or special to me. I listen to them just like I listen to the Hispanic, Asian or white folks I talk to.

Dan Cathy might be a rich guy for whom black people are from another planet, and maybe there's some folks on this website who have no exposure to black people, but he shouldn't lecture others assuming we're all in the same boat or that we would all hear the same messages when we do listen to 'black people'. Because if you interact with black people regularly, you don't look at them as black people, you look at them as individuals whose personalities and tendencies you know.

Dan Cathy may very well be a clueless rich guy whose daddy founded the company and has had little in common with the experience of your average working or even middle class white person. But, I don't think him trying to understand the experiences of AAs and making an honest effort to speak out against racism the worst thing, even if it comes across as a little ham handed?

Old 06-19-2020, 03:08 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Dan Cathy may very well be a clueless rich guy whose daddy founded the company and has had little in common with the experience of your average working or even middle class white person. But, I don't think him trying to understand the experiences of AAs and making an honest effort to speak out against racism the worst thing, even if it comes across as a little ham handed?
Well, this is my opinion as a Black male born in the mid 1980s. I'm not saying this as some sort of puppet. I'm not looking for any approval from the far right. I'm just saying what's on my heart. I don't need anyone to kiss my feet or shine my shoes. That's not racial justice to me. I don't need anyone to do that. Here is what someone can do. Speak out against racial hatred. Speak out against discrimination. I don't need apple polishing. Just do what is right. Don't be a racist, and call out people who are racist. This is what Chick Fil A could do well by not donating to the Trump campaign.

Old 06-19-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, this is my opinion as a Black male born in the mid 1980s. I'm not saying this as some sort of puppet. I'm not looking for any approval from the far right. I'm just saying what's on my heart. I don't need anyone to kiss my feet or shine my shoes. That's not racial justice to me. I don't need anyone to do that. Here is what someone can do. Speak out against racial hatred. Speak out against discrimination. I don't need apple polishing. Just do what is right. Don't be a racist, and call out people who are racist. This is what Chick Fil A could do well by not donating to the Trump campaign.
There's just one catch: Donald Trump's not racist. He boasts every day about the (pre-lockdown) record low black unemployment rates, also Hispanic and women unemployment rates. He set up thousands of economic opportunity zones in poor mostly black districts, to help black youth and black business owners. He is financially supporting historically black colleges and universities. He pardoned some prominent black convicts. What kind of a racist does that?

Whereas Biden says: "If you vote for Trump you're not black."
Also Biden: would prefer a black woman VP.

Vote for Trump and you get a man who's sincerely trying to fix the economy and uplift ALL Americans, or a guy who just wants to be president for no particular reason other than he thinks he deserves it and will say anything to get votes?

Old 06-19-2020, 03:28 PM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post

It's just cliched patronizing clap trap to me. Like he - the boss, the big daddy figure, sitting down to listen to what the 'children' have to say out of his sense of personal nobility.

In my opinion this whole debate is working on tropes. And while there's certainly folks who hang on to the 'every black man is a thug' trope, the coddling liberal narrative of blacks being these helpless, innocent creatures who need just all of our understanding, love and support has gained a lot of popularity among wealthy white folks. When I hear all those celebrities, CEOs and co. talk about blacks..it sounds exactly like they sounded in the past when it was "Save the Whales!", "Save the Rain Forest!"

Old 06-19-2020, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
It's just cliched patronizing clap trap to me. Like he - the boss, the big daddy figure, sitting down to listen to what the 'children' have to say out of his sense of personal nobility.

In my opinion this whole debate is working on tropes. And while there's certainly folks who hang on to the 'every black man is a thug' trope, the coddling liberal narrative of blacks being these helpless, innocent creatures who need just all of our understanding, love and support has gained a lot of popularity among wealthy white folks. When I hear all those celebrities, CEOs and co. talk about blacks..it sounds exactly like they sounded in the past when it was "Save the Whales!", "Save the Rain Forest!"
Actually, to me it sounds exactly like the year 1900, when the Progressives of that era were talking compassionately about "our duty to uplift the Negro" from their backward, primitive condition. Cf. Teddy Roosevelt's speeches on this topic, for example.

Old 06-19-2020, 05:38 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Biden is not considered to be "the least diverse" primarily because of his supportive role as Barack Obama's Vice President. As they say, "He had Obama's back for eight years."

According to blacks, they are the ones that voted overwhelmingly for Joe Biden (after he said on March 15, 2020 that he would nominate a black woman to the Supreme Court).

https://news.yahoo.com/biden-four-bl...200448877.html

Of course, many other white, Latino and Asian Democrats presumably also voted for Joe Biden because polls suggested Biden is best positioned to beat Trump, but blacks want credit for "saving his candidacy" and now black activists are trying to force him to also pick a black woman for Vice President.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates