Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2020, 08:47 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times

Advertisements

They go straight into the trash folder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2020, 10:06 PM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
Youtube and Amazon now have prominent, mandatory Black Lives Matter sections at the top of their video screens.

Amazon Prime has a whole bunch of videos to show you about Selma, MLK, BLM, etc. I have to scroll past it to get to my usual interests.

Youtube ditto.

This is pandering to an extreme and I believe it's going to backfire. A backlash is building among millions of people who are watching this far-left PC farce, this betrayal of our police and celebration of property damage. How many police dead so far this week -- seven? No one cares, seemingly.

I just watched a press briefing on Youtube by the NYPD union leadership. The one guy, a cop with 35 years on the street, gave a fiery, impassioned speech like I've never heard before. I am actually hoping they call a general strike until the mayor resigns. Let the people see what it's like to "de-fund the police".

The pandering has reached a point where it's simply unbelievable. If I get one more of these pious, self-righteous yet empty emails, I'm going to write back and tear them a new one.

Old 06-09-2020, 10:13 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
It's sad our leadership does whatever it takes to pander to BLM while ignoring the public's interest. In the last few decades, cutting police funding or reducing security has always been political suicide. NYC is about to lose a good chunk of its tax base in the next few years due to this pandemic. So let's see what these moves translates into election results.

Old 06-09-2020, 10:20 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
When I know people who personally go to the streets to protest, their goal is not to be political. In our communities, racial injustice and police brutality are a reality. We want the hate to stop. We want the same rights as any other race when it comes to housing, employment, or walking down the street.

When people I know go to a rally they are not hoping that the Democrats or the Replicans come and participate. We just hope that America cares and America wants to participate in making a change. The Democrats jump on the bandwagon because it is a concern coming out if the Black community. No one has asked the Democrats to care; in fact, we want Republicans and all people to be concerned.

So, the goal is not to make this political, or to agitate anybody. In fact , I'm sad and disappointed to see this as a Democratic concern, or a people of color against policing or any people group. Nothing can be accomplished like this. Also, no one condones rioting. Please do not label an outcry with rioters. Some people do show up with other agendas. That's unfortunate.
Other than for political brownie points, what do you think the Democrats will do for people who protest? As you know in the history of America. Protests have never brought systematic changes. People who protest are people who are powerless. If the black community have power, they wouldn't be protesting.

The truth is that Americans only care enough to talk about it, because nobody is going to change their ways just for others. That's not how the food chains work. You want power you have to earn it and you can't beg or ask other people to help you out, because most middle class people are already struggling to keep their bills paid. What we end up is public sentiment that black community is always depending on the whim of others. It isn't just black folks struggling, 40% of Americans don't have more than $500 emergency cash. And the pandemic is causing even many middle class white people to struggle.

Keep voting for those democrats and see what another 4 years of their fluff talk will do for you. I'm a realist and I don't see hope in change unless there is a desire by the community themselves to adapt and change their ways for the good.

Old 06-09-2020, 11:11 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,666,851 times
I can’t even click my cable guide up without BLM agenda plastered on the screen.

Old 06-10-2020, 05:12 AM

7,643 posts, read 4,589,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Like I said, plenty of people on the right need someone to don a KKK hood or a Nazi uniform in order to call them a racist.

Plenty on the left simply need a skin color and party affiliation.

Old 06-10-2020, 06:29 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,244,588 times
I received one from Marcus (Goldman Sachs) this AM. After viewing this site I will be researching where to transfer my money too. I have on deposit with Marcus well over 200K of my savings and it will be going someplace else. If these companies keep up the kneeling, I might just dig a hole in the backyard.

Old 06-10-2020, 07:04 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
I received one from Marcus (Goldman Sachs) this AM. After viewing this site I will be researching where to transfer my money too. I have on deposit with Marcus well over 200K of my savings and it will be going someplace else. If these companies keep up the kneeling, I might just dig a hole in the backyard.
I got the same email from them.

I’m willing to bet you will not find a bank that hasn’t made a statement. Just so you know, Goldman doesn’t give a **** about your $200K. Sorry big shot.

It’s so strange to me that you equate this statement with something negative. No shared facts these days I suppose.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 06-10-2020 at 07:16 AM..

Old 06-10-2020, 07:44 AM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Yesterday I received emails from UnderArmour and a few others. A few days ago from every synagogue with which I correspond. Among the first I received was from the Dean at the college I attended.He wrote, in substance “The persistent violence against people of color in this country needs to end, and as an institution with a founding principle dedicated to education for “any person,” we as a community have a responsibility to speak out and act to uphold those principles when we see injustice.” I responded as follows:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa response to letter from college
Dean __________,

I am jbgusa, Arts and Sciences 1979, and write in response to your email of June 3, 2020. By coincidence, that would have been the ninety-fifth birthday of my father, jbgusa Sr. Engineering 1947.

I cannot agree with the self-flagellation of your letter and similar correspondence from clergy and academic leaders.

This is eerily similar to the armed takeover of the Student Union Building in April 1969. As those familiar with University history know , the surrender to “demonstrator” demands caused many professors, particularly in Government, to resign. Any surrender or accommodation to violence has that result; constructive people of quality flee.No decent human being can stomach the brutal killing of George Floyd. However, there have been similarly brutal killings, of people of color far less flawed as citizens than Mr. Floyd. David Dorn, a black retired 77 year old police officer who was trying to protect a pawnshop from looters comes to mind. Where are the protests? After all he was also black. The minority communities wind up being far more severely injured than the "racists."

Remember, Mr. Floyd was killed by four Minneapolis police officers, not by ________ University.
I believe because four out-of-control grown juvenile delinquents, err, police officers caused the death of a person who himself had a history of violence, our society should not be melting down. We are a great country, indeed one of the few that would engage in such self-criticism. Corporations and universities should stop this "virtue-signalling" race. There are traffic stops that end tragically for non-minorities. Society doesn't convulse with unrest.

Perhaps accentuating this is the pandemic, and the fact that many young people who would normally be in school or otherwise engaged have time on their hands, and feel this is constructive activity. It is anything but constructive.

Last edited by jbgusa; 06-10-2020 at 07:58 AM..

Old 06-10-2020, 07:51 AM

3,408 posts, read 1,901,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
I got one from 23&Me! She even complained about the lack of blacks being represented in her company and practically cried over it as if it was such a tragedy - I guess without realizing that it means she and /or her company is racist and practicing discrimination causing such disproportionate numbers in her ranks.
Maybe these black activists and brainwashed young people have something afterall! The solution might be to expand affirmative action by hiring ONLY black people and illegal aliens, and pay all white people to stay home. Use the money saved from closing down all police departments. Problems solved and everyone will be happy! No more police brutality, no more crime, no more social injustice, no more inequality. Utopia, indeed! It's certainly worth a shot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates