Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2020, 07:28 AM

11,049 posts, read 6,637,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
At the moment, it is the "in" thing to do. Prominent people and companies feel that if they do not take a stand, that they will be branded as insensitive or even racist.
Yeah, I kind of feel like they can't win.

I don't see that it's "none of their business", after all, corporations are people who get to have an opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2020, 07:30 AM

11,049 posts, read 6,637,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
I agree with half of the sentiment here. I don't know that the academic left wing "woke" solutions are the only or even most effective ways to lessen racial inequality.

But unfortunately the right has largely ceded the issue. Conservatives only seem outraged by left wing efforts to end racism, they never actually have proposals to deal with racism itself.

I really do wish conservatives would propose realistic strategies to deal with racism, police abuses, intergenerational economic inequality, etc.

Unfortunately in this vacuum, we have a massively polarized society that is growing more and more dysfunctional.
This is really well-put. Kudos and a rep to you.

Old 06-07-2020, 09:33 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,944,732 times
Just got a video conference from our CEO with the same diversity and inclusion message, and a condemnation of inequality. The fact that this company takes full advantage of a city grant that allows them reduced rent in exchange for hiring minorities while paying these employees well below the average pay for similar jobs, is the height of hypocrisy.

I hate being preached to about something that is basically just common sense and human decency. Treat others as you would like to be treated and all this angst goes away.

Old 06-07-2020, 10:28 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,644,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
The issue is right at the definition of 'racism'. There's some very different definitions of that going around and the difference is almost irreconcilable.
What some people see as racism is merely Bayesian Inference.

Old 06-07-2020, 11:07 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Time View Post
This black guy that I did some business with the past year or so posted on his FB that now is the time for Black Entrepreneurs to get money from these big corporations. They are feeling remorseful and you may not even have to prove the viability of your product or show a finished demo product. That really aggravated me. Here I am with my business, shut down for months, and tied in to phase 4, $40,000 in debt plus, down about $60,000 to $100,000 in lost revenue that I will never earn back and we can't get an SBA disaster loan because we haven't suffered enough Economic distress. Plus, the majority owner is a minority, Asian woman.
It's ****ing bull****.
Instead of being mad that Black businesses trying to get some capital - ask yourself why the investment community allows this for people with connections all the time. If you meet the profile (aka young white guy, drop out from Ivy league or go to Stanford/Ivy, engineer) it is very easy for you to raise money - no matter how dumb your idea is and how unviable your business model is.

Only 1% of VC investment money goes to Black founders.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/02/12/in...e-backgrounds/
https://news.crunchbase.com/news/unt...ng-overlooked/

Old 06-07-2020, 11:38 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Instead of being mad that Black businesses trying to get some capital - ask yourself why the investment community allows this for people with connections all the time. If you meet the profile (aka young white guy, drop out from Ivy league or go to Stanford/Ivy, engineer) it is very easy for you to raise money - no matter how dumb your idea is and how unviable your business model is.

Only 1% of VC investment money goes to Black founders.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/02/12/in...e-backgrounds/
https://news.crunchbase.com/news/unt...ng-overlooked/
So!

Look what they say about selection bias in these VCs:

"These investors are largely from the same gender, educational, ethnic, and location background as the founders they choose to invest in."

What else do you expect when the "black community" and the party they vote for are constantly marginalizing and pissing off whitey with their racial and group identity politics. And since when is someone who is of the same background, on multiple levels, supporting their own a bad thing - only when it is whitey - everyone else is praised for their in group support.

And let's not forget education and familiarity (friends, family, region of residency) are how people make all sorts of decisions - it's common sense not racism nor institutionalized anything.

And since blacks and whites are divided and whites are way more likely to graduate college and live in communities of their own race - What would expect. Maybe blacks should focus on changing their dynamics regarding education, family, and learn how to run business rather destroy them by getting and education that teaches them how to market to investors - yeah that happens at college usually run by whitey so something to think about.

It's always up to whitey to change and help huh but then they get pissed at us for doing so because they don't need the white mans help nor his institutions that also racist.

Yeah, it's way more complex that what I or even your link suggests.

Old 06-07-2020, 12:07 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,957,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Yet whenever it is something about Black people, the actions of a few represent everyone!

And let's be clear - the culture of many police departments is broken. Officers are trained to act more aggressively towards black people no matter the context, to spend disproportionate time stopping and frisking and so on. And all of these leads to terrible behavior. And no repercussions when someone does screw up. It is not about the four guys that were present and complicit when Floyd was murdered. It is about a broken system.
False. Officers are trained NOT to be biased, and my state has mandated training every year.

Old 06-07-2020, 12:43 PM

334 posts, read 188,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Again, you are saying he has never been accused of being a racist prior to running for office. Patently untrue.
Oh please....throughout your post there was NOTHING to verify that Donald Trump is a racist and he wasn't accused of racism...his father was.

"By 1973 Fred Trump had named Donald president of Trump Management while Fred remained as chairman of the board and sole stockholder. It was still Fred’s business. He built it and shaped it. In 1973, the Department of Justice filed a complaint against Fred Trump, Trump Management, and its new president, young Donald. At properties operated by them, almost 4.5% of tenants were black. One building had 40% black tenants. But five buildings had none. By 1974, the DOJ had collected accusations (formal, informal, and hearsay) by 43 accusers (named and unnamed) against 38 employees (out of hundreds) of Trump Management in 20 properties (out of 39), during 14 years. Three of them blamed Fred Trump. None of the 43 accusers blamed Donald Trump; there’s no evidence that he created or carried out discriminatory policies. In fact, Donald Trump sued the City of Palm Beach when he bought a segregated club, Mar A Lago, to open it to Jews and Black people. Not even Obama has done as much for black people as Trump has...FACT!

Also, by January 1973, Fred Trump still owned 20% of Starrett City, a new housing development in Brooklyn, consisting of 5,868 units, designed to have a racially integrated population: including 30% blacks and Hispanics. In 1974, the New York Times noted: “There has been some fear that Starrett City will house more black and Hispanic families than the mostly white Canarsie area would like.” Trump Management owned a fifth of this immense housing development. When the complex opened in 1974, nearly no white people applied." Another property managed by Trump Management called Patio Gardens had a 58.5% black population."

In addition, the old tale about the "Central Park Five" Trump would have done the same if they were White, Hispanic, Asian, or Black. Doesn't matter to him. And I have to tell you a secret...Obama was NOT born in America. There's plenty of proof of that which I won't go into here. His entire past is a fairytale and the biggest hoax ever pulled in American politics.

Now, can Trump be a bit uncouth with his mouth....YES...a racist...NO...! If a person is against something or a particular group doing something...it doesn't mean that they are racist. In addition, many rich people pay fines or settle out of court because it's cheaper...PERIOD..! I wrote-what I wrote-and I'm sticking with it. And by the way, if you're white...good luck with the new America because it ain't gonna be pretty. Just read about what's happening in South Africa to get a clue. If you are white, have you apologized on bending on one knee "for your white privilege?" I mean who's being the real racist here??? Anyway, I"m not going back-and-forth with you about this...Good Luck in the New America....! Good Bye and Oh yeah, TRUMP IS NOT A RACIST...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Just look at the people in the W.H. Or the Republican part of the Senate. They're almost all white males, most are older. But it's true that they aren't wearing t-shirts that declare "Racist" on them.
Trump definitely is racist. The list of things he's said & done are too long to list here. And you'll never admit it. But I bet David Duke and those so-called "fine people" who marched in Charlottesville with Tiki Torches would say that heck yeah he's racist & should be proud of it.
Read my reply to the poster above. You people are bent on labeling Trump as a racist after all the good he's done for Black people that Biden, Clinton, Obama, Bush, and others have NEVER done. And don't forget that the rioting is taking place in Democrat held areas. They're allowing this country to be torn apart in order to further their agenda of turning this country into a communist hellhole. Enjoy yourself...because you know what? THEY'RE...COMING....AFTER....YOU....NEXT...and then you'll wish that Trump was president...believe me. Anyway, I'm not going back-and-forth with you about this. It's pointless. I'm sticking to what I wrote. Good Luck in the New America...! Good Bye and Oh yeah, TRUMP IS NOT A RACIST...!

Old 06-07-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
So!

Look what they say about selection bias in these VCs:

"These investors are largely from the same gender, educational, ethnic, and location background as the founders they choose to invest in."

What else do you expect when the "black community" and the party they vote for are constantly marginalizing and pissing off whitey with their racial and group identity politics. And since when is someone who is of the same background, on multiple levels, supporting their own a bad thing - only when it is whitey - everyone else is praised for their in group support.

And let's not forget education and familiarity (friends, family, region of residency) are how people make all sorts of decisions - it's common sense not racism nor institutionalized anything.

And since blacks and whites are divided and whites are way more likely to graduate college and live in communities of their own race - What would expect. Maybe blacks should focus on changing their dynamics regarding education, family, and learn how to run business rather destroy them by getting and education that teaches them how to market to investors - yeah that happens at college usually run by whitey so something to think about.

It's always up to whitey to change and help huh but then they get pissed at us for doing so because they don't need the white mans help nor his institutions that also racist.

Yeah, it's way more complex that what I or even your link suggests.
While not going into all the reasons that education is unequal - Black graduations rates are going up across the board. And in case you were unaware, unemployment rates for black people - at every eduction level - are 2x white people. So while "education" helps, it doesn't lift all tides. You have just been watching too much TV and bought into stereotypes that black people don't care about education.

Lack of wealth is a key driver for lack of investment. One huge challenge is that investors expect you to raise a "friends and family" round before you get any investment. Obviously in order to raise that, you need friends and family with wealth to share. And black wealth is very low since there hasn't been generational wealth to pass down (hello racist housing policy!). It is also hard to take a risk to start something if you don't have a support system like family wealth or even a spare basement or couch to live in while you are working on your next idea. It isn't uncommon for black college students (and professionals) at all levels to also support other family members in addition to themselves, while in school and working. So there is no quitting your day job to focus on your side hustle.

Old 06-07-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
False. Officers are trained NOT to be biased, and my state has mandated training every year.
Unfortunately this "bias training" is largely ineffective since everyone harbors unconscious biases that also cloud decision making. We need a different curriculum to deprogram generations of bias baked into our culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates