Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2020, 09:35 AM

17,614 posts, read 17,656,125 times

Advertisements

Virtue signaling is a red flag for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2020, 09:37 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,555,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
They THINK it will work well. The great unknown is how much of it will backfire and for what duration.

I have no idea. Certain corps like Foot locker will likely work out since they target urban. For companies not heavily marketing to urban... We shall see.
Do you work in corporate America? It’s all about risk mitigation on stuff like this.

Let’s run a scenario...

I’m the CEO and you’re my board chairman.

Would you rather I:

1) Make no statement while nearly every other company is making one
2) Make a statement similar to nearly everyone else’s
3) Make a more neutral statement that could be construed as being insensitive to the black community
4) Make a pro police statement
5) Make a very strong pro BLM statement

Which of these options seems least risky in the current climate? Think about the business, not your politics.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 06-08-2020 at 09:50 AM..

Old 06-08-2020, 10:56 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,588,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Do you work in corporate America? It’s all about risk mitigation on stuff like this.

Let’s run a scenario...

I’m the CEO and you’re my board chairman.

Would you rather I:

1) Make no statement while nearly every other company is making one
2) Make a statement similar to nearly everyone else’s
3) Make a more neutral statement that could be construed as being insensitive to the black community
4) Make a pro police statement
5) Make a very strong pro BLM statement

Which of these options seems least risky in the current climate? Think about the business, not your politics.
If I am Nike 5. Footlocker 2.
Bed Bath and Beyond, Joann Fabrics, PetSmart etc. 1. It is backfiring from slightly left to hard right demographics. Probably short term. Boycots seem to have limited lives for corporations for the most part.
Had the whole mess not turned into free stuff for everyone and lets break things. They could do 2 if they actually care. Which most do not.

Old 06-08-2020, 11:13 AM

7,646 posts, read 4,596,067 times
Companies virtually signal because that esteemed leadership in those swelling HR departments across the company needs something to do. And to keep their ever increasing base of base of like minded happy, they need to be showing their employees that they are concerned and aware....lest they do something dumb like Mark Zuckerberg on Facebook which is to do nothing and give a bunch of employees all the reason they need to protest and stop working...while still wanting a check...and you know, we can't fire them because of it.

Old 06-08-2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
If I am Nike 5. Footlocker 2.
Bed Bath and Beyond, Joann Fabrics, PetSmart etc. 1. It is backfiring from slightly left to hard right demographics. Probably short term. Boycots seem to have limited lives for corporations for the most part.
Had the whole mess not turned into free stuff for everyone and lets break things. They could do 2 if they actually care. Which most do not.
There is a bigger risk of doing 1 than 2 for petsmart and other national firms. Their actions clearly show that this is their evaluation. They get cover from offending closet racists by doing 2 because everyone else is doing it. Where will all the racists shop if they can’t go to any national firm?

If you are a national brand, you don’t want to be the lone firm doing 1 when everyone else does 2. That has much higher risk. If you need further proof, just look at national firms with Conservative political donation histories like Home Depot. They have released #2 type statements. They see very little downside in doing so.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 06-08-2020 at 01:31 PM..

Old 06-08-2020, 04:34 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
I just hope people especially public figures don't put on a fake face like Pelosi, Romney, show up at these protests just for publicity stunts.

Old 06-08-2020, 05:02 PM

33 posts, read 31,700 times
All this current nonsense will go 'poof' in six months. Then we'll have some other outrage that is nipping at our heels.

I got a 'We Can't Be Silent Any Longer' e-mail from Ole Henricksen (moisturizers and skin cremes). Please. Save it. The thing with BLM and these other movements is they think we are thinking about this 24 hours a day, like they are. Here's the reality - most of us are trying to get through one day without anything major going on at home or with our families. If we're working, we hope we can stay that way. If we're not, we are worried about what happens when unemployment runs out, when the extra CARES money runs out, what's going to happen when all these businesses that closed a few months ago aren't going to reopen after all and we have to figure out something fast. A lot of people are kind of in crisis mode right now and we, quite honestly, are trying to take care of our own families, our own mortgages. It's sad what's going on with the police and black America, but really, I have bigger problems. I can have empathy and voice that what happened was deplorable, but again, I have other things going on in my life, as I'm sure the rest of us do.

Old 06-08-2020, 07:14 PM

127 posts, read 83,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Because some now feel the need to pander to the BLM movement by “supporting them”. Amazing how all of the sudden all these companies now support the BLM movement. Where if you asked their stance on BLM three weeks ago they would of had some politically correct canned speech lawyereze we sympathize with BLM wish them luck and good bye message. Even that douchebag Godell now supports BLM. Can’t wait till all these team owners start blowing Kaeprernick with offers to come play for them because they want to show everyone how they are “supporting and behind the movement” and always really privately supported support him. Yet he was untouchable for what........3- 4 years because he was “controversial”. As far as hiring Collin I could care less. I watch three football games a year. the last playoffs and the super bowl,

The police departments are firing cops left and right.

Yeah. From the statistics I read they do.

However the way that Floyd was killed and the indifferent look on that cops face...that was very disturbing. Criminal or not high or not you can’t step on someone’s neck till he dies.
Yea no crap. The cop was a murderer. This was sad, this doesn’t represent the police in general.

Old 06-08-2020, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falls14303 View Post
All this current nonsense will go 'poof' in six months. Then we'll have some other outrage that is nipping at our heels.

I got a 'We Can't Be Silent Any Longer' e-mail from Ole Henricksen (moisturizers and skin cremes). Please. Save it. The thing with BLM and these other movements is they think we are thinking about this 24 hours a day, like they are. Here's the reality - most of us are trying to get through one day without anything major going on at home or with our families. If we're working, we hope we can stay that way. If we're not, we are worried about what happens when unemployment runs out, when the extra CARES money runs out, what's going to happen when all these businesses that closed a few months ago aren't going to reopen after all and we have to figure out something fast. A lot of people are kind of in crisis mode right now and we, quite honestly, are trying to take care of our own families, our own mortgages. It's sad what's going on with the police and black America, but really, I have bigger problems. I can have empathy and voice that what happened was deplorable, but again, I have other things going on in my life, as I'm sure the rest of us do.
They absolutely do not think that you are thinking about this 24 hours a day. They think that some are, and that’s enough. If they say nothing they risk more than if they say something.

They are actually counting on the fact that you either don’t care or care in a positive sense.

The amount of people in this thread who seem to think that they are the only customer that these firms have is hilarious. Just remember that over 50% of voters chose Hillary and that those voters have a higher median income.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 06-08-2020 at 08:32 PM..

Old 06-08-2020, 07:52 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
It's not really about customers. It's about the Twitter mob and the media that just copy and pastes stuff from Twitter to generate easy content. Most customers don't care one way or another. If you need an Uber you need an Uber, if you need something from Amazon you get it (hell most people who actively hate Amazon still use it all the time).

It's nevertheless a mistake because appeasing a mob has never defeated a mob, you just make it stronger. And eventually that mob is going to gun for those companies' money one way or another. Economics are the real elephant in the room. Wealth redistribution is the deal. Those CEOs just like all those mainstream politicians hope/think they can exempt themselves from that by aligning themselves in a very public but ultimately cheap way with the goals of BLM.
one wonders what % of Amazon's ________ are black people:

Total employment
Employees with 2+ years
Supervisor level
Warehouse management level
Department level
Corporate board
Management team

feel free to substitute any other company sending out the emails/statements
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates