Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2020, 06:15 AM

34,993 posts, read 16,964,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
It's nothing but pandering. My grocery store has rainbow posters all over this month saying how much they love gay people, and we should too. Really? I just want to buy some bananas, without a lecture. Over the PA today they were talking about how the store really supports Black Lives Matter. Sheeze. Another lecture I could live without. It's all about pandering to various communities.
That post really says it all. Which was my point when I posted my letter that I wrote to my colleges Dean in response to his similar lecture, Getting emails from companies about black injustice (link goes to my previous post).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2020, 08:23 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
It is illegal to place flyers or other non-postage-bearing items into a mailbox according to according to Sect. 508.3.1.3 of the Domestic Mail Manual (DMM), Karen.
Yes, I’m well aware. That’s why you should call the cops, Karen.

Old 06-13-2020, 09:23 AM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Yes, I’m well aware. That’s why you should call the cops, Karen.
I don't call the cops over such things, Karen.

Old 06-13-2020, 10:55 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
You know what I do...I go get my own food. This way nobody has to pay some delivery fee and the restaurant gets all the money. And no I don’t give a crap who owns the restaurant as long as the food is good.

Old 06-18-2020, 01:05 AM

1,485 posts, read 953,788 times
Add Bath & Body Works.

Just got an email from these wussies saying they're donating to BLM.

Let's boycott these idiots too.

Old 06-18-2020, 06:07 AM

828 posts, read 415,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Not true, let's look at it another way, if you have 20% of one group at the entry level, let's call them corporate feeder jobs, and you look at the top and it is only 1% ... well something is broke in your processes. The ranks at the top of the department should look like the bottom if people have equal opportunities to get promoted.
They dont all have equal opportunities to get promoted. But is not based on race. They actually have a better chance since companies will cut corners to qualify a minority.

Otherwise not race. But promote based on qualifications, IQ, and production.

Would you go to a black doctor? If they where unqualified but given a medical degree based on equal opportunity?
Just so we had a equal percent of black doctors.
If not how can you expect companies to do the same.

Old 06-18-2020, 08:13 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
Add Bath & Body Works.

Just got an email from these wussies saying they're donating to BLM.

Let's boycott these idiots too.
Ok, snowflake.

Old 06-18-2020, 11:38 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve19605 View Post
They dont all have equal opportunities to get promoted. But is not based on race. They actually have a better chance since companies will cut corners to qualify a minority.

Otherwise not race. But promote based on qualifications, IQ, and production.

Would you go to a black doctor? If they where unqualified but given a medical degree based on equal opportunity?
Just so we had a equal percent of black doctors.
If not how can you expect companies to do the same.
That is a giant myth that somehow Black people are just getting promoted due to race. It is sad that people continue to believe it. The opposite is true. Studies have shown that white men tend to be promoted for potential, everyone else needs gobs of experience before possibly being considered.

https://hbr.org/2010/09/why-men-stil...ons-than-women
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/economy...their-managers

And let me present to you Michael Siebel, who recently joined the board at Reddit after Alexis Ohanian stepped down. To distill it, Siebel is frankly almost overqualified. There should be a waiting list to get him on your board. He has advices over 1800 startups and is the CEO of Y Combinator - which is the incubator for pretty much every big name startup ever.

Quote:
In his letter, Ohanian asked Reddit to replace his role with a black board member. Today, the site announced the appointment of Y Combinator CEO, Michael Seibel. The executive became Y Combinator’s first black partner in 2014, before ascending to chief executive. Today he becomes Reddit’s new board member.

Seibel’s long list of startup bona fides also include founding Socialcam and YC-supported Justin.TV. He served as the CEO of the latter, which later rebranded as the more familiar Twitch. During his time at YC, Seibel has funded and advised north of 1,800 startups, according to a release. He’s got a long list of angel investments, as well, including Reddit, and has been a strong proponent of diversity and inclusion. More recently, he helped YC transition to an online-only demo day as the world grappled with COVID-19-related restrictions.
https://techcrunch.com/2020/06/10/re...ohanians-exit/

Unfortunately when Black people get their long overdue praise and promotions, someone is always trying to claim it was because of affirmative action and ignores the laundry list of accomplishments it takes to even get considered (compared to their peers).

Old 06-18-2020, 12:28 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
And let me present to you Michael Siebel, who recently joined the board at Reddit after Alexis Ohanian stepped down. To distill it, Siebel is frankly almost overqualified. There should be a waiting list to get him on your board. He has advices over 1800 startups and is the CEO of Y Combinator - which is the incubator for pretty much every big name startup ever.

https://techcrunch.com/2020/06/10/re...ohanians-exit/

Unfortunately when Black people get their long overdue praise and promotions, someone is always trying to claim it was because of affirmative action and ignores the laundry list of accomplishments it takes to even get considered (compared to their peers).
I've never heard of Michael Siebel, but from how he is described here, it certainly sounds like he is fully qualified for the position.

And yet, there will always be a cloud of suspicion hanging over his head. Not because of anything he did or didn't do, but because Alexis Ohanian specifically said that he wanted to be replaced by a black person. And so, Michael Siebel is the replacement black person.

It's unfair to Mr. Siebel, of course, especially since it certainly sounds like he's more than capable of standing on his merits. But blame Ohanian for this, because he couldn't keep his virtue-signaling mouth shut, and now people will think that Mr. Siebel got the job only because he was black.

Old 06-18-2020, 12:37 PM

6,784 posts, read 4,224,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I've never heard of Michael Siebel, but from how he is described here, it certainly sounds like he is fully qualified for the position.

And yet, there will always be a cloud of suspicion hanging over his head. Not because of anything he did or didn't do, but because Alexis Ohanian specifically said that he wanted to be replaced by a black person. And so, Michael Siebel is the replacement black person.

It's unfair to Mr. Siebel, of course, especially since it certainly sounds like he's more than capable of standing on his merits. But blame Ohanian for this, because he couldn't keep his virtue-signaling mouth shut, and now people will think that Mr. Siebel got the job only because he was black.

Well, that's the thing isn't it, by emphasizing that "blacks" require this or that now, 90% of the folks who aren't black are left to wonder "well what about me? I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth." The emphasis on racial group membership rather than everyone's individual situation seems to run counter to the American creed.

By creating a situation where once again the public is advised that it will require measures on parts of the non-black part of the population to assist blacks to achieve what others achieve, you're automatically creating the seed of race-based resentment ironically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates