Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2020, 06:20 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Some good points.

Do you have a suggestion regarding the following? This isn't hypothetical; this happens and is written about in the local Las Vegas newspaper.

Imagine you go out for a weekly shopping trip - the grocery store, maybe a Costco, the bank, maybe get your haircut. Errands. As you were leaving your neighborhood, you noticed a U-Haul style van parked on the side of the road with some shady-looking characters inside; in fact, they are eye-balling you as you go do your errands.

You return home and discover that U-Haul is now in your driveway. The front door of your house is open and these shady-looking characters are moving boxes into your house! You confront them, and they say they rented the house, paid the landlord in cash, and are moving in. You tell them you own the house & to get the heck out. They ignore you.

You call the police and the police arrive; you tell them what happened and that you own the house and you want these scofflaws ejected. The shady-looking crew tells the Police they rented the house, paying the landlord in cash. The Police ask who is the landlord and ask to see a lease; they produce a hand-written short lease, replete with spelling and grammatical errors, and tell the Police the landlord is a guy they met. No, they don't have a phone number of contact information.

The above happens here in Las Vegas - by some estimates many hundreds of times each year, although most are done in unoccupied homes.

The Police tell you, "This is a civil matter; go to court to seek an eviction if you wish."

You reply, "No, this is a CRIMINAL matter; this is MY house, I LIVE here, and these people are TRESPASSING!"

Today, in Las Vegas, we have hundreds of such squatters who commandeer a home because they can do so with impunity, knowing the police will not step in. Many homeowners want the police to take on even MORE responsibility - enforcing homeowners' rights against squatters. Homeowners want MORE funding for the police rather than LESS

Do you have any thoughts on a practical way to deal with this type of issue?
That is crazy. I've never heard of anything like that. I would freak the heck out.

My first take?

Make it a crime. To me it's a home invasion. As prevention? Maybe some type of Landlord licensing? If you rent you have to have a notarized lease with the Landlord's license information? I don't like to add bureaucracy, make the license a reasonable cost with a quick background check of what properties the landlord owns, issue a license number, and then just add a notary to the lease process.

What are your thoughts? I haven't rented anything in like 20 years.

How are the new tenants getting keys? They are moving stuff in, even though it is obvious people already live there?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-13-2020, 07:15 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,835,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
The point stands that we're experiencing this unrest on a premise that is at this point little more than speculation - that George Floyd died as a result of racism.

It seems like whenever a white person does something to a black person we're supposed to immediately and automatically just run with the notion that it *must* be racism..whereas when a black person does something to a white person this possibility is seen as the most far-fetched of notions that needs to be proven beyond any reasonable doubt.

I actually read something about that mentality before the George Floyd incident. And it was said that this could be seen as actually racist in itself because it basically assumes that for a white person to do harm to a black person there must be something fundamentally 'wrong' or 'evil' about that white person. But when a black person does harm to white people it is somehow seen as a 'normal' consequence of black behavioral patterns and thus not worthy of any deeper questioning.
Make no mistake about it - George Floyd died at the hands of Derek Chauvin in a demonstration of pure evil. Chauvin's intent and motivation may be speculated upon but his actions were committed under the guise of law enforcement, a practice which has proliferated for centuries. This was not two strangers casually encountering each other, the killer wore a uniform. The standard of prosecution necessary for conviction is the same for all races regardless of the race of the victim, what it "seems like" to you is immaterial.

It may be surprising that you "actually read something" but simply because you may have done so does not add credence to any belief you may have developed from it; the "mentality" of the inclusion of a racist component based on hundreds of years of similar racially inspired violence is more than a sound "premise."

Old 06-13-2020, 07:20 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,066,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Are you trying to tell a black woman what it's like to be black in America?
Nice try, but this fish won't be baited that easily. I'm telling Jade that she does not, she CANNOT, speak for all black people, just as I cannot speak for all white people, and that painting such a large group with such a broad brush is, well, silly. Unless you use statistics to define groups, you're peeing into the wind. So yeah, if you're trying to get over me, below me.

Old 06-13-2020, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Interesting analysis. This may be behind a paywall (sorry).
I was able to view it, I think you are allowed a number of viewings per month from the WSJ. It's worth a read, and illustrates why we have to fall back on statistics rather than anecdotes and emotions when determining how severe a problem something is. But because "math is hard", most people find it much more appealing to march and chant rhyming phrases.

From the article, I think the most pertinent line is, "By contrast, a police officer is 18½ times more likely to be killed by a black male than an unarmed black male is to be killed by a police officer". That does not excuse what happened to George Floyd. But it does explain why cops tend to resort to chokeholds and shoot quickly when suspects resist arrest. The VAST majority of "bad outcomes" with police would never occur if perps would just be smart enough to not fight the cops; put their hands behind their back, simply say, "Sorry, but I wish to exercise my right to remain silent, please let me know what you want me to do", and let their state-funded lawyers handle it in court. But that ain't what the hood demands.

Old 06-13-2020, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Some good points.

Do you have a suggestion regarding the following? This isn't hypothetical; this happens and is written about in the local Las Vegas newspaper.

Imagine you go out for a weekly shopping trip - the grocery store, maybe a Costco, the bank, maybe get your haircut. Errands. As you were leaving your neighborhood, you noticed a U-Haul style van parked on the side of the road with some shady-looking characters inside; in fact, they are eye-balling you as you go do your errands.

You return home and discover that U-Haul is now in your driveway. The front door of your house is open and these shady-looking characters are moving boxes into your house! You confront them, and they say they rented the house, paid the landlord in cash, and are moving in. You tell them you own the house & to get the heck out. They ignore you.

You call the police and the police arrive; you tell them what happened and that you own the house and you want these scofflaws ejected. The shady-looking crew tells the Police they rented the house, paying the landlord in cash. The Police ask who is the landlord and ask to see a lease; they produce a hand-written short lease, replete with spelling and grammatical errors, and tell the Police the landlord is a guy they met. No, they don't have a phone number of contact information.

The above happens here in Las Vegas - by some estimates many hundreds of times each year, although most are done in unoccupied homes.

The Police tell you, "This is a civil matter; go to court to seek an eviction if you wish."

You reply, "No, this is a CRIMINAL matter; this is MY house, I LIVE here, and these people are TRESPASSING!"

Today, in Las Vegas, we have hundreds of such squatters who commandeer a home because they can do so with impunity, knowing the police will not step in. Many homeowners want the police to take on even MORE responsibility - enforcing homeowners' rights against squatters. Homeowners want MORE funding for the police rather than LESS

Do you have any thoughts on a practical way to deal with this type of issue?
Well, the good news is that it's fairly easy to dig a hole in the desert. And if I were on your jury should you get caught, you'd walk.

Old 06-13-2020, 07:51 PM

20,104 posts, read 9,008,929 times
disbanding the police will be the #1 campaign issue this November. Dems are really going out on a limb by supporting it or not denouncing it.

Old 06-13-2020, 09:30 PM

6,791 posts, read 4,233,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Make no mistake about it - George Floyd died at the hands of Derek Chauvin in a demonstration of pure evil. Chauvin's intent and motivation may be speculated upon but his actions were committed under the guise of law enforcement, a practice which has proliferated for centuries. This was not two strangers casually encountering each other, the killer wore a uniform. The standard of prosecution necessary for conviction is the same for all races regardless of the race of the victim, what it "seems like" to you is immaterial.

It may be surprising that you "actually read something" but simply because you may have done so does not add credence to any belief you may have developed from it; the "mentality" of the inclusion of a racist component based on hundreds of years of similar racially inspired violence is more than a sound "premise."

What you're doing is actually part and parcel of tribal totalitarianism. You don't judge an incident on its own terms, or even the individuals involved, you see it solely through the lens of group membership and in the context of some multi-century meta-narrative between those groups.

Guess what, it's that way of looking at things that turned the Balkans into the powder keg of Europe where men can march into a neighboring village and butcher everyone therein because it's 'justice' for what said group did to other members of their own group in a different village at some point in the past.

Personally when I look at crimes I like to look at each of them based on the specific facts of the incident rather than using them as part of some political crusade just because the optics suit my narrative. It's the latter approach which leads to show trials and kangaroo courts.

Old 06-13-2020, 09:57 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,835,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
What you're doing is actually part and parcel of tribal totalitarianism. You don't judge an incident on its own terms, or even the individuals involved, you see it solely through the lens of group membership and in the context of some multi-century meta-narrative between those groups.

Guess what, it's that way of looking at things that turned the Balkans into the powder keg of Europe where men can march into a neighboring village and butcher everyone therein because it's 'justice' for what said group did to other members of their own group in a different village at some point in the past.

Personally when I look at crimes I like to look at each of them based on the specific facts of the incident rather than using them as part of some political crusade just because the optics suit my narrative. It's the latter approach which leads to show trials and kangaroo courts.
No. What I'm doing is responding in kind to your assertion that all those involved in "unrest" share the same premise. You have not allowed them to characterize their degree of participation but have imposed on them your reasoning based on a single incident. Your lens is faulty in that it only operates in a single direction that sees only group membership when looking through a much more clear lens exposes that as your fallacy. You need to review your choice of optics.

There is no need to go so far afield as Europe to make a point when it is the history of race relations right here that provides the most valid context for both the actions of those who would abuse their power and those of people who refuse to accept it.

Old 06-13-2020, 10:11 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
disbanding the police will be the #1 campaign issue this November. Dems are really going out on a limb by supporting it or not denouncing it.
Clearly you don't pay much real attention to the news:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybe.../#4a764ca4aeab

And he is not alone.

Old 06-13-2020, 10:21 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,295,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Clearly you don't pay much real attention to the news:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybe.../#4a764ca4aeab

And he is not alone.
It wouldn't be the first time.

Some people aren't interested in facts. Like the fact that Biden, Pelosi, and all the top democrats have stated they do not favor defunding the police.

Instead, they just continually pound on an agenda and hope to deceive people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates