Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 08:53 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,183,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Officer Lane, one of the officers with Chauvin, had put in his report that once Floyd was handcuffed, he was compliant and sitting on the curb. So Floyd wasn't a threat to anyone at the point that Chauvin shoved his foot into Floyd's neck.

It's come out, in the last day or so, that Chauvin and Floyd had previously worked together doing security for a bar, and there was some bad blood between the 2 of them.
The thing with bad blood has been happening throughout history and shows up more often than not between whites and blacks. Thing is, the law gives whites the edge, and always a defense for killing the black one.

Old 06-11-2020, 09:26 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
The thing with bad blood has been happening throughout history and shows up more often than not between whites and blacks. Thing is, the law gives whites the edge, and always a defense for killing the black one.

And police always have the edge.

Old 06-11-2020, 09:31 AM

My husband's nephew is married to a woman who's brother was a policeman. He and his canine partner were highly decorated, for drug busts up and down Hwy. 44, STL area.

One time she was telling a few of us how he had pulled over a car, and handcuffed a guy, and had him bent over the hood of his car. The 'bad guy' called the officer a pig. The officer took the guy by his hair and banged his head a few times against the hood of the car.

Ha ha ha!! We were all supposed to laugh. Me personally...I didn't think it was so funny. The dude was handcuffed...not a threat anymore. Surely you shouldn't get to beat up on someone because they called you a pig?

Old 06-11-2020, 12:10 PM

3,983 posts, read 5,014,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
Blue lives is white on one side, black on the other. No real unity after going home at night. Blacks and whites working within the ranks do not get along because of race issues. Most whites feel that every black at work doesn’t really belong there and took the job from a white, and most blacks simply do not have much in common with whites when it comes to daily life and experiences. It was that way long before affirmative action. It was actually that way during slavery. Whites have always felt that they could pick those crops better, they just didn’t want to.

Blacks and whites working and living together in every situation are going to have problems over race. Race is the biggest problem we have in this earth and will continue getting worse until we admit being two separate cultures without a chance of either folding to the other.
I have never read something so clearly opposite of what I think! I don't feel that way about blacks and NEVER have. There are some that do. You, for example, feel this way - nothing in common? mad about a job? pick crops better? blacks don't belong? Yes, it's been around since slavery these feelings - that's pretty much the point of all the protests. Somewhere along the line, since the beginning really, men think they own well, pretty much anything in their path. Conquer, dominate, kill, submit.

Race is NOT the biggest problem we have on this earth - just wow - it's people who have a problem with race that's making it a big problem. We are ONE people, different cultures - are you saying you have no use for anyone that doesn't look or act like you? I think that's limiting, not something I'm interested in adopting. I enjoy my friends, and it's what we have in common that bring us together, and many times, our differences that strengthen what we already have.

Folding to the other...I'm really struck by this last comment...why would we have to? Do you adhere to peace? Do you think other human beings have the same rights as you do in this country? Do you think it's ok for police (or any other system in power) to dominate at all costs, even when the situation doesn't come close to calling for it? I'm not opposed to strong debate and hearing what people say, but all I hear anymore is this hate...help me out...how do we change this hate? Why do you feel so insecure that you have to blame someone for stealing your job? Did you ever think that maybe you didn't cut it? My goodness...

Old 06-11-2020, 02:41 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,011,692 times
For those of you that really don't know what DEFUND means:

de·fund

/dēˈfənd/

verbUS

verb: defund; 3rd person present: defunds; past tense: defunded; past participle: defunded; gerund or present participle: defunding; verb: de-fund; 3rd person present: de-funds; past tense: de-funded; past participle: de-funded; gerund or present participle: de-funding

prevent from continuing to receive funds.

Basically, stop giving them money. Not take "some" of the money and put it somewhere else. Lets see if people can start using the right word instead of Defund. Say what you mean.

Old 06-11-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post

de·fund

/dēˈfənd/

verbUS

verb: defund; 3rd person present: defunds; past tense: defunded; past participle: defunded; gerund or present participle: defunding; verb: de-fund; 3rd person present: de-funds; past tense: de-funded; past participle: de-funded; gerund or present participle: de-funding

Basically, stop giving them money. Not take "some" of the money and put it somewhere else. Lets see if people can start using the right word instead of Defund. Say what you mean.

I'll say what I mean. Reprioritize funding. Reduce funding.

I think it's important to have A police force. But lots of things need to change, which I gave my thoughts on, on page 1 of the topic, so no need for me to rehash it.

Old 06-11-2020, 08:08 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Quote:

de·fund

/dēˈfənd/

verbUS

Let's see if people are open minded enough to recognize that there are dozens of dictionaries online and not all agree with the absoluteness of your definition. Many do not indicate the totality you appear to accept as gospel.

Old 06-11-2020, 08:53 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,555,088 times
Quote:

de·fund

/dēˈfənd/

verbUS

You’d have to really be reaching if your assault in this whole thing is grammar based.

Old 06-11-2020, 10:55 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,656,648 times
Quote:
And police always have the edge.

Yes they do...mentally ill are 16 times more likely to be killed by cops...this "off duty" cop Salvador Sanchez killed Kenneth French who has Autism and shot both of his parents after a minor dispute in a food sample line at Costco with no punishment?!...he should get the max sentence for murder!

https://abc7.com/corona-shooting-cos...ere-a/6241481/

Old 06-12-2020, 06:46 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
My husband's nephew is married to a woman who's brother was a policeman. He and his canine partner were highly decorated, for drug busts up and down Hwy. 44, STL area.

One time she was telling a few of us how he had pulled over a car, and handcuffed a guy, and had him bent over the hood of his car. The 'bad guy' called the officer a pig. The officer took the guy by his hair and banged his head a few times against the hood of the car.

Ha ha ha!! We were all supposed to laugh. Me personally...I didn't think it was so funny. The dude was handcuffed...not a threat anymore. Surely you shouldn't get to beat up on someone because they called you a pig?
That's where you have to say cops are lowering themselves to the level of those they are policing rather than rising above and DE-escalating. Get rid of the prideful macho side of policing and figure out what is really needed in a situation. I don't want to pay a cop for getting even with a mouthy offender who is already cuffed. The cops basically wanting suspects to grovel and say "uncle" is disgusting to me - I expect a lot more from LEO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates