Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 09:55 AM

3,497 posts, read 2,661,274 times

Advertisements

I live in an affluent highly conservative Texas city and much like other affluent city's, conservatives are the same as the liberals here. They want good government, great schools, parks, and amenities. We pay high property tax and pay high wages for the officers, in return we also want a great police department and require our police to be college-educated and vested in this diverse community. It’s amazing how well-educated people can get along.

Old 06-10-2020, 09:56 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
IMO, some cops are more prone to domestic violence, in part, because they are traumatized by what they've seen and experienced. They have PTSD.

But...in my life, I knew a couple of different cops who were youngish, like I was, and they were jerks and a holes. So...I DO think there's a certain personality type that is attracted to being a policeman for the power it gives them. Maybe it has something to do with being large and in charge, when they never were in civilian life. I don't know. Just a guess.

And the reason they don't like cops to be TOO smart is because they want someone who will blindly follow orders without question. Especially in training.

I currently know A cop. He's my age and retired now, but he was one of the good guys. He could see and understand some of the ridiculousness some of the younger cops get involved in and steer them away. Help them grow up in a way.

I've known this guy since I was like 19 yrs old. He decided he wanted to be a cop because he was the kind of guy who drove a souped up car that always seemed to catch the attention of the local cops, who would always stop and pull him over for no good reason, so he decided HE would become a cop, and wouldn't be THAT kind of cop that harassed people for the sake of harassing people. He is, what I would classify as a "straight up kind of guy".
On that topic, I remember some study indicating that the personality traits between police and criminals wasn't that different - risk takers, action oriented, etc.

Of course we are diverting from the topic - all these negative traits can be eliminated by proper screening before employment, not by "defunding".

Old 06-10-2020, 10:19 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
I'm from the hood, trust me, a lot of my "homies" will constantly tell you "TRUCK THE POLICE!!" and BELIEVE ME when I tell you, they don't want cops in their neighborhoods. I think the average person thinks its silly to defund the police but there's also very powerful, influential people in power who want exactly that. Little to no police. Did you not see what happened in Minneapolis?
Why don't they want cops in their neighborhoods, though? Are they involved in criminal activity? Do they not feel safe with police presence? What's at the heart of their belief, and wouldn't a more community-based concept of public safety help them?

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 06-10-2020 at 10:30 AM..

Old 06-10-2020, 10:38 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
I guess I will belabor a point.

I DO believe a PD force can be safely defunded.

1. Stop defending bad cops. Stop punishing the good cops who do some whistleblowing. Have something like "3 strikes, you're out." They don't get to go to a different department, or move to a different city to be a cop. No, they're out and gone, and it'll be part of their record.

2. Stop criminalizing drug users, unless they're harming someone else.

3. Stop utilizing criminals as informants. Criminals only become informants to try and reduce their charges. They don't do it out of the goodness of their hearts. Police rely too much on these kind of people, because it makes for lazy policing. "There is no honor among thieves". so stop acting like their information is true and trustworthy. They will say anything to reduce charges or reduce sentencing. Police know this, but hey, it justifies getting the big guns out and raiding someone's house. Fighting crime boy howdy!

I know a guy who was mad at a semi-friend who made his scratch selling pills. The guy that sold pills was somewhat a dufus.

The dufus was hitting on the other guy's wife. Telling her to leave her husband and be with him. The wife didn't want to be with dufus, because...he's a dufus, but her husband was mad because he was hitting on his wife, and he was supposed to be a friend.

SOOOO he set dufus up to sell pills to an undercover cop. THIS kind of behavior/policy is a waste of money, but again, justifies to the average tax payer, having a strong police dept who's tough on crime.

The person above who said there's not much difference in thinking between some policemen and criminals...they're not wrong.
. .

Old 06-10-2020, 10:43 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
1. Stop defending bad cops. Stop punishing the good cops who do some whistleblowing. Have something like "3 strikes, you're out." They don't get to go to a different department, or move to a different city to be a cop. No, they're out and gone, and it'll be part of their record.
People keep saying "one bad apple" with regards to bad cops. But the whole phrase is "one bad apple spoils the whole barrel." When you have a bad apple, you get rid of it. You don't hide it. You don't keep it in the barrel and hope that the good apples will keep it from rotting. You don't put it in a different barrel of apples. You don't sit it on a desk and hope it stops rotting after two weeks. Throw the apple away.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 06-10-2020 at 10:53 AM..

Old 06-10-2020, 10:46 AM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
Okay, cool! If you want the police defunded and/or abolished, you same folks better better start loving the 2nd Amendment and retract all your gun control sentiments. Because if you think for one second that crime isn't going to spike, you're delusional! In fact, I almost want cops to take 2-3 months off from any sort of patrol, just to prove a point. These people who are--almost all liberal--who want to defund the police are also anti-gun, anti second amendment and have no clue about self defense, have no relationship with violence (unless they're cowardly ANTIFA type leftist) and rather let their families get ravaged before they lift a pinky to defend them out of "being a good person". They're much more concerned about feeling good instead of doing good but I digress.

Don't get me wrong, I don't love cops, I have my gripes with police and I have had 2 not-so-good experiences with cops. Overwhelmingly however, my experiences with cops have been good and in fact, one (WHITE) cop actually saved my ass twice. To give a quick back story: I lived in the ghetto as a teen and I was caught with a military combat knife, TWICE. This particular cop knew me from a little rapport we had, after he came to my aid when I was jumped by a bandit of thugs. I never called the cops but by the grace of the universe, him and his partners were near by. We bumped into each other a few times and he genuinely seemed to care since he knew I was hard working and stood out of trouble. Anyway, he bailed me out of central booking, no charges or records. He knew I was a good kid who was just DEFENDING myself from the hoodlums.

I've also had a really crappy experience with an (Indian) cop who was just having a bad day. I don't know if the curry and lassi (I'm "cultured") made his farts smell really bad but whatever the case was, he had it in for me. I didn't give him attitude, any lip, wasn't rude, called him officer but he was just looking to ram his nightstick up my arse.

Needless to say, I know there's good and bad cops. I would even agree that there needs to be some serious cop reform in their training and their criteria to be a cop. There's no reason why there should be fat, out of shape cops, no reason. Unless they plan on rolling down a hill and catch criminals like a bowling ball getting a strike at a bowling alley, there shouldn't be any FAT, out of shape cops. I digress but there needs to be better and higher criteria to be a cop. Perhaps a fitness test every 2 months and psychological evaluation, training on having rapport with people in the communities. So I definitely am on board with that.

However, defunding and abolishing the police? HAHA! What a mess. Watch more militias form, watch more communities patrol form. If you think pink haired, pot bellied, trans-mutation SJW's are going to help you......GOOD LUCK!!! Who are you going to call? It ain't Ghost Busters! AHAHAHA!!
Cool rant, bro. The fact is, you don't know what "defund the police" means, nor does anyone else, because it's only and idea at this point, with details remaining to be worked out. Let's wait and see some specific proposals, and debate then, when we actually have some facts to debate.

I'm just wondering--does anyone know?--who filmed Mr Floyd being asphyxiated? Who was it, that was holding that cameraphone? Was it one of the officers present? A passer-by? Or was it one of the officer's body cam?

Just curious.

Old 06-10-2020, 11:03 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Cops have it bad, it is a $h1tty job and everyone complains about the pension/benefits yet those same people are home sleeping while those cops are on duty in the middle of the night. Cops have to follow rules, bad guys don't but they suddenly have "rights!"

The 56 Buffalo cops had it right, resign and let all the loud mouth critics "man the line." The cops have to "up their game" when the bad guys are out there with bigger firepower/better tactics.

Remember the North Hollywood shootout? 2000 rounds fired, 2 bad guys dead/20 injured:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZg4mcYkIwU
Ok and what happens when the cops encounter "good guys" and the "good guys" get hurt because the cops are careless or do their job more violently than they have too? Any answers there?

Old 06-10-2020, 11:14 AM

3,983 posts, read 5,014,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
ain't happenin..... only far left wackos want to "defund" the police whatever that means. Complain they're not trained properly so cut their budget? ...lmao ...that's a whole lot of stupid going on there.
Whatever that means? Are you still unwilling to find out what "defund the police" means? There have been several good posts explaining why and what it means...

Far left wackos...interesting that this one comment is so very telling about you. My main concern about the people who are only listening to state news or perhaps believing whatever their Republican relatives are saying, is that it's often not true. I don't want to abolish the police. I do want to not have a warrior looking for a fight when a neighbor will do. I don't want them to kill indiscriminately with NO ACCOUNTABILITY. If you honestly cannot see that there are many bad cops, ruining the reputation of the good ones, and you can't see that when they're bad, they're deadly, then maybe you aren't as smart as you think you are.

Old 06-10-2020, 12:17 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,427,042 times
I support defunding the police in black and brown communities if they want it. Actually I support constructing an offshore island for this purpose exclusively.

After all if you don't need law and order you don't need the other basics necessities in life so better to be isolated from the general population.

It has my 100% support.

If you are intelligent enough to see how stupid this sounds then give me a LIKE

Old 06-10-2020, 12:30 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
Whatever that means? Are you still unwilling to find out what "defund the police" means? There have been several good posts explaining why and what it means...

Far left wackos...interesting that this one comment is so very telling about you. My main concern about the people who are only listening to state news or perhaps believing whatever their Republican relatives are saying, is that it's often not true. I don't want to abolish the police. I do want to not have a warrior looking for a fight when a neighbor will do. I don't want them to kill indiscriminately with NO ACCOUNTABILITY. If you honestly cannot see that there are many bad cops, ruining the reputation of the good ones, and you can't see that when they're bad, they're deadly, then maybe you aren't as smart as you think you are.

You know what? I'm a Republican. I always thought I was a conservative. These days, I still think of myself as a conservative...but maybe I'm not. I can't tell anymore.

You know...I feel sorry for the 2 cops that were with Chauvin. One of them had been reporting to Chauvin ONE whole day. The other was on day 3.

ONE of them had asked Chauvin if they should roll Mr. Floyd over, and Chauvin, the commanding officer at the scene, who the other two cops reported to, told them "NO". They were between a rock and a hard place. Even though one of them (maybe both?) were holding Floyd down.

One of the other officers (I think it was Lane) had put in the report that after Mr. Floyd was handcuffed, he became compliant. So how did a man who was complying end up dead with a knee in his throat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates