Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 03:14 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,335,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post

I'm from the hood, trust me, a lot of my "homies" will constantly tell you "TRUCK THE POLICE!!" and BELIEVE ME when I tell you, they don't want cops in their neighborhoods. I think the average person thinks its silly to defund the police but there's also very powerful, influential people in power who want exactly that. Little to no police. Did you not see what happened in Minneapolis?
That is not what defund the police means.

Old 06-10-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Cops have it bad, it is a $h1tty job and everyone complains about the pension/benefits yet those same people are home sleeping while those cops are on duty in the middle of the night. Cops have to follow rules, bad guys don't but they suddenly have "rights!"

The 56 Buffalo cops had it right, resign and let all the loud mouth critics "man the line." The cops have to "up their game" when the bad guys are out there with bigger firepower/better tactics.

Remember the North Hollywood shootout? 2000 rounds fired, 2 bad guys dead/20 injured:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZg4mcYkIwU
That's a dishonest post.

56 Buffalo cops didn't resign the force. The resigned a particular squad on the force. They're still working for the same police department.

Old 06-10-2020, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
I live in an affluent highly conservative Texas city and much like other affluent city's, conservatives are the same as the liberals here. They want good government, great schools, parks, and amenities. We pay high property tax and pay high wages for the officers, in return we also want a great police department and require our police to be college-educated and vested in this diverse community. It’s amazing how well-educated people can get along.
Thank you. Similar where I lived for most of my adult life in Fairfax County, Virginia.

Old 06-10-2020, 03:38 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
[quote=jertheber;58347508]You're absolutely correct in thinking that this will continue as a work in progress, as will be the continuing dumbing down of America, the rise of the right, and enough hate to last us a good century or two. It seems as though the left and right have moved on from their more moderate frameworks and gone totally extreme.

Take note that the same posters who have this George Floyd incident all figured out are the same people who, for no valid reason, were telling us they knew way more than the nations best Doctors with respect to the coronavirus. This, ironically, is a reflection of their dear leader who also postures as a "stable genius." I'm pretty liberal and still support the main body of America's police force, and I'll say it again--Neither George Floyd, nor the cop who killed him are the faces of the average black man--or cop..[/quote]

This is absolutely true.

And it's also true that looters, rioters and protestors are not all the same thing.

I see people on the right trying to say they are all the same people, but I also see people on the left trying to defend looters and rioters, or gloss over looters and rioters and only talk about the protestors, as though some how they seem to think they're all the same, but don't want to say it.

NO. THEY'RE NOT ALL THE SAME.

The fact of the matter is, they're not all one and the same, but various people don't want to acknowledge that one way or the other.

I live in the St. Louis area, but in another county. Our county has had several peaceful protests, involving hundreds, if not a thousand people. All the protests had police assistance. I know at least 2 of them, the police reached out to the organizers and asked them "How can we make these protests safe for you?" And there's video of policemen marching WITH the protestors arm in arm, and they made sure to block intersections so protestors could safely move along.

I applaud that.

Old 06-10-2020, 04:35 PM

6,811 posts, read 4,246,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
Let me ask, how many times in your life have you call the police? The only reason to ever call a cop is that it’s an insurance company requirement. The police are never there in an emergency only arrive after the fact. What has been the result of police involvement, mostly ZERO the same as without police involvement? The only thing cops are doing very well is to collect revenue by giving out citations, an income stream for the court system, municipality, and the police and I'm OK with that.

Well unfortunately they can't arrive before an emergency occurs.

Old 06-10-2020, 06:57 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,070,058 times
If you think we have a problem with well-trained, highly-regulated "professional" police force members abusing the public and performing corruptly now, wait until you see what comes of having UNPROFESSIONAL police. People will start getting thrown from rooftops, as they were in Saddam's regime. I want well-paid police, so they have less motivation to steal from me, ala "speed traps" that were once (still?) rampant in southern states. I want police to be afraid of losing their jobs and their good pensions, largely to keep them in line. The police are modeled after the military for a reason, and I don't see a reason to change that. But if cities want their first line of defense to be social workers and religious leaders, let's try that and see how it works. But I'll bet you that in MANY cases, those very social workers and religious workers will demand to be armed, or will be calling "9-1-1" for actual police intervention a great deal of the time. And people want to remove that backup completely? Good Luck with That, they surely don't know what they are asking for.

I'm not sure I have my arms wrapped around what happened in Minneapolis yet. Chauvin KNEW that he was being videotaped in front of multiple witnesses, but he still kept his knee on Floyd's neck. There's NO WAY I believe that he woke up that morning and said, "Think I'll kill a Darkie today", and then carried out that plan, knowing full well it would end his career, his freedom, his family, his co-workers, and destroy the force he worked for. I think that he DID NOT BELIEVE that Floyd was going to die, and the fact that he was being goaded by the "You're a bum" witness put him in a position where he thought if he stopped kneeling on Floyd's neck, it would look like he was "backing down". Now, I'm not defending Chauvin or trying to lay out his defense, I'm just trying to figure out what was going through his mind during those final minutes after Floyd went unconscious. Surely ANYONE aware of the consequences of his actions would have stopped applying pressure at that point, wouldn't they? So why didn't he? Was Chauvin suicidal? Because that's what he did during that arrest, he killed a detainee, and killed himself besides. Hard to believe all that was pre-meditated. MY plan, would be to set up some kind of system where any future "Chauvins" are identified, and weeded out of street duty, at the very least, this guy had no business being a cop with the mentality he showed that morning. How many more like him are coping with the same form of PTSD that finally broke him? What created him (being a cop on the edge) to begin with?

Old 06-10-2020, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Well unfortunately they can't arrive before an emergency occurs.
I'm a long-term gun owner, and only took out my pistol one time in an "emergency". I was home alone one evening at about 11:00 PM, with zero chance of any family members coming over unannounced. I was upstairs reading, when I heard glass break in my finished basement, and the dog and I went to the top of the stairs, where we could see the back door was unopened; the dog's hair stood on end (a big Shepard), and he wouldn't go down, he stood at the top with me and growled.

So naturally, I did the dumbest thing I could, I grabbed Roscoe (loaded .357), and went down, and "cleared" the basement myself, checking the windows and opening closets, cop-style. And I can tell you, I've never been so "high" on adrenaline in my life, the "tunnel vision" they say you get when all your senses are at 150% is real. So, after I assured myself I was alone down there, found that a pile of dishes in the downstairs kitchen sink had collapsed upon itself, breaking a glass. After it was over, is when I got "scared", what a relief that I didn't have to shoot anyone (or get shot or stabbed myself). So, since then, I have gained the utmost respect for the police, they have to routinely do what I did that evening, except that they do so for someone ELSE'S stuff, and not their own. God Bless 'Em.

And, I developed a plan that does not involve hunting for burglars myself anymore, the "smart thing" is to retreat to a defensible position and wait quietly for the Bad Guys to come to YOU.

Old 06-10-2020, 07:12 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,429,953 times
If black and brown people want to defund police in their own neighborhoods fine. I think the police deserve a raise IMO.

Old 06-10-2020, 07:17 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Thank you.

The sad thing is that's it's always the same posters who mouth off about things without knowing what they are actually talking about.
Like you are now. A Minneapolis council woman has said white people will have to get used to not calling the cops because someone broke into their garage. Many DO want to get rid of the police, but some are walking it back now.

Mental health and domestic violence are the most dangerous calls to answer. Anyone that thinks these should be turned over to a social worker has to be an idiot.

Old 06-10-2020, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I just wished next tuesday is election day. I just wished the protests and riots happen in October than now. Man, can't wait to see the political fallout for this. I thought the 2016 election was interesting but this one will be most interesting.
What do you think would happen if the election were held next week? Personally, I think it would be a Republican landslide. The majority of people in the country are not out there marching, but almost everyone saw the cities burning on the telly, and most want nothing to do with that "lifestyle". I myself cannot WAIT to move at least a hundred miles from where I live now (Chicago suburbs). Not only do I want nothing to do anymore with Democratic leadership, I no longer want to live anywhere near Democratic VOTERS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates