Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2020, 06:54 AM

41 posts, read 18,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAct41 View Post
but when does the mask mandate END? When 1/3000 drops to 1/???

This is something I’m still waiting to hear.
I've never seen this question answered in a numeric way. If someone wants to be the first, please go for it.

Something like "when nationwide % of positive has been below 5% for six weeks" or "when nationwide deaths per day have been below pandemic levels for four weeks" would, IMO, really help to win mask resistors over. It's also better than just saying "vaccine" - which, without a verb and a number, is not an exit criteria.

Old 08-05-2020, 10:33 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
I am sure that this is how seatbelt and helmet laws originated...everyone is just so concerned about each others safety that they want everyone to do it.
It's wrong to attempt to make things safer? Is there something nefarious about safety equipment, some dark conspiracy?

Old 08-06-2020, 09:30 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
It's wrong to attempt to make things safer? Is there something nefarious about safety equipment, some dark conspiracy?
Should be up to the individual whether they want to use the safety device though, like how it is with motorcycle helmets, they are encouraged, but ultimately, its up to the people if they want to wear them or not, (the law requiring them was done away with years ago, in favor of allowing people to make this decision.

I see people riding motorcycles all the time without helmets now!

Old 08-06-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Should be up to the individual whether they want to use the safety device though, like how it is with motorcycle helmets, they are encouraged, but ultimately, its up to the people if they want to wear them or not, (the law requiring them was done away with years ago, in favor of allowing people to make this decision.

I see people riding motorcycles all the time without helmets now!
Maybe where you live, not universally. https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...met-law-states. Funny how it hasn't led to something darker, a sinister plot to give the gov't control over us. Either that or they're VERY slow about it, lol.

Last edited by DubbleT; 08-06-2020 at 11:22 AM..

Old 08-06-2020, 01:26 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,708,585 times
Quote:
Safety isn't free. Safety incurs a tax - in money, in inconvenience, in lost productivity, in diminished dignity. Sometimes that tax is worth paying. But not all of the time.

Old 08-06-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Safety isn't free. Safety incurs a tax - in money, in inconvenience, in lost productivity, in diminished dignity. Sometimes that tax is worth paying. But not all of the time.
Diminished dignity is mostly a matter of perception. How much lost productivity, inconvenience, etc comes with catching a virus that at best has flu like symptoms, and at worst may cost lives? If placing a thin piece of cloth or paper over our faces reduces that risk do you think it's wort it?

Old 08-06-2020, 01:52 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
Masks are to protect the public from the wearer. Depending on the mask, they reduce the amount of material that gets through the mask and how far they can travel in the air. If people are taking precautions on avoiding congested areas and being in close proximity to others, the masks really cut down the risk.

link

Old 08-06-2020, 02:17 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
That's why I think this whole mask thing is a farce. Sure, they're great for close interactions, such at salons and medical personnel, but for places like outdoor restaurants, it's just silly. Same for indoor restaurants for that matter - does the virus stay put while people are eating?

And what's the point of requiring them at the movie theaters when they reopen? Masks until the popcorn munching begins, and it's still safe because ...

I just can't stand stupidity, and this mask thing takes the cake in so many ways.

While I'm not one to take my mask off at places where it's required, I'm limiting my economic activity to absolutely necessary for daily living - i.e., nothing fun or recreational. I won't fly, I won't eat out, I won't see movies, or shop for pleasure. Not until those masks are G-O-N-E.

Until then, I'll just retreat into my inner imagination of a magical, wondrous place that's very much like Heaven, except you don't have to die to go see it. Nomask Land. You betcha.
No one expects diners to keep masks on while eating. Just sayin’.

You don’t know if reopening theaters will serve popcorn. So, I suggest you reserve criticism there until you have more info.

I think the reasons for limiting your social interactions would more more logically be attributed to fear of infection, than the inconvenience of wearing masks.

I am resisting the temptation to comment on your statement, “I just can’t stand stupidity.”

Old 08-06-2020, 04:19 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,708,585 times
Quote:
Diminished dignity is mostly a matter of perception. How much lost productivity, inconvenience, etc comes with catching a virus that at best has flu like symptoms, and at worst may cost lives? If placing a thin piece of cloth or paper over our faces reduces that risk do you think it's wort it?
Ultimately isn't everything a mere "matter of perception"? Wealth? Health? If the other guy has tapeworm, dysentery and migraines, but I only have tapeworm, well, doesn't that make me healthy? Or, if I'm convinced that I'm smart, but everyone else thinks that I'm stupid - well, what does it matter? In my own perception, I'm smart.... and [expletive] everyone else.

If a "thin piece of cloth or paper" reduces our risk, I would ask: by how much? By a little, or a great deal? And as for this thin piece - is that a small hindrance, or a big one? We may well conclude, that the hindrance is small, and the risk-reduction is substantial. Or we may not. Is that a matter of perception?

Dignity, by my perception, is assaulted not merely by mandatory donning of a piece of cloth, but by the various restrictions and privations levied upon us, as being necessary and proper - often without debate. Those who dissent, are immediately called anti-social fools, selfish monsters, radicals. Are they? Doesn't such language go some ways to reducing our dignity, both as the targeted individuals, and as a people? And ought we not to harbor some concern at the undignified imposition of stay-at-home, don't go to the gym, don't attend class, don't congregate anywhere?

Push people enough, and you know, their perceptions and yours, might undergo a little bit of a fractured misunderstanding. Even people of good-will, patient and willing to do their part, will become disaffected, annoyed, desperate. Should I elaborate on what that might mean? Or is such elaboration pointless, because ultimately it's a mere matter of perception?

Old 08-06-2020, 05:53 PM

No, everything is not a matter of perception, there are also facts. Facts are that masks may reduce risks, that is not a perception.
Your dignity is not something that is a fact, it's a feeling. If you CHOOSE to feel undignified, perhaps because of the opinions of others, it does not make that a fact.
Perhaps I feel it's undignified to wear wear anything other than designer brands, that does not make wearing store brands inherently undignified.

Last edited by DubbleT; 08-06-2020 at 06:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates