Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2020, 08:21 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticSuperman View Post
I wear glasses and I also dislike wearing it because it sometimes fogs up.. So why would you leave it on longer?
Because for a two mile drive it's not worth having to sanitize hands again, put the mask back on, and move the mask around and try to find the sweet spot that doesn't fog me up again? It's not like the few extra minutes is a big deal, there's no need for me to rip it off for such a short time. If people think I'm virtue signaling that's entirely on them, and they're completely wrong.

Old 07-27-2020, 05:45 PM

25,957 posts, read 22,107,325 times
We aren't wearing masks, so we don't have to entertain the idea of wearing them forever. Since they increase our chances of becoming ill ourselves, it doesn't make any sense to take that risk. If people will educate themselves on the effectiveness of the masks, the mandates will not be forever, just until enough people say "ENOUGH!"

https://www.bmj.com/content/369/bmj.m1422

https://www.infectioncontroltoday.co...ainst-covid-19

Why I won’t wear a mask « SaveCalifornia.com Blog//

Recently in our newspaper, our Public Health "official" said "Even a dirty mask is better than none." I could not believe the ignorance. The mask collects all kinds of mucus and crud, not to mention dampness that may cause mold to grow and be inhaled.

No mask thank you. I'll shop online and with those retailers that have a clue. In KS, 90 of the 105 counties chose not to follow the mask mandate by Governor Kelly. Hail County Commissioners and the legislature for allowing local control.

Old 07-28-2020, 10:25 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,875,920 times
Well, nice job of posting three links that contradict your position.

ALL THREE support wearing masks if you're ill - to prevent other people from getting sick.

ALL THREE.

So, thanks. And put on your mask.

Old 07-28-2020, 11:05 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
The mask collects all kinds of mucus and crud, not to mention dampness that may cause mold to grow and be inhaled

I wouldn't doubt it. I had a mask that I had only used that day. I immediately saw a yellow stain on it during my lunch period. I think it exacerbates my dry mouth too because I might be drinking more water than I used to and my lips are always needing chapstick.

It's not natural to have something covering your face unless you're in the desert.

You know how you have to change your pads every couple of hours when you're on your period? It's the same kind of deal. We breathe more than we bleed so in order to be truly hygienic you'd have to change your mask every minute (or maybe every second).

Old 07-28-2020, 02:27 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,733,951 times
Quote:
The mask collects all kinds of mucus and crud, not to mention dampness that may cause mold to grow and be inhaled.
That is why you throw it away after one use, or at least, wear the same mask for no longer than a couple of hours. Or if you wear the homemade cloth type, wash it everyday after use. I thought that's common sense, no?

Old 07-28-2020, 03:52 PM

25,441 posts, read 9,800,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
This is the one thing that terrifies me more than anything, the idea of having to wear masks forever.

I simply won't do it. If it means I have to go live in the north woods, totally isolated from the rest of humanity, I'll do it.

In the meantime, I'm not doing anything optional which requires a mask. That includes restaurants, shops and anything for entertainment. I'll wear a mask where required, but only for necessary purposes only - such as grocery stores, medical appointments and home stores, to carry out home repairs. Nothing else.

If they ever make masks mandatory for outdoors, I'll go into full rebel mode and organize anti-mask protests.

Thinking of doing that anyway come September - this is such a B.S. way to live.
Even now we don't wear masks forever. We only wear them when we go out in public. We are unmasked walking in our neighborhood, hiking and in our homes. So it's not like it's permanently attached to your face like an octopus tentacle. Those of us who are afraid of the effects of this virus aren't going out doing extracurricular stuff either. We'd rather not take that chance. I don't think it will be forever, just until enough people wear masks and socially distance long enough for us to get a handle on this virus. Covid isn't political and doesn't care what you or I think about it. It will rage through the population as long as it has hosts, of which it has plenty.

I do understand your angst though. Sadly, it is what it is until it isn't anymore. I wish you well.

Old 07-28-2020, 03:54 PM

25,441 posts, read 9,800,380 times
Quote:
We aren't wearing masks, so we don't have to entertain the idea of wearing them forever. Since they increase our chances of becoming ill ourselves, it doesn't make any sense to take that risk. If people will educate themselves on the effectiveness of the masks, the mandates will not be forever, just until enough people say "ENOUGH!"

https://www.bmj.com/content/369/bmj.m1422

https://www.infectioncontroltoday.co...ainst-covid-19

Why I won’t wear a mask « SaveCalifornia.com Blog//

Recently in our newspaper, our Public Health "official" said "Even a dirty mask is better than none." I could not believe the ignorance. The mask collects all kinds of mucus and crud, not to mention dampness that may cause mold to grow and be inhaled.

No mask thank you. I'll shop online and with those retailers that have a clue. In KS, 90 of the 105 counties chose not to follow the mask mandate by Governor Kelly. Hail County Commissioners and the legislature for allowing local control.
Thank you for staying out of stores and other public places unmasked. I sincerely mean that. Makes those of us who wear our masks feel safer.

Old 07-29-2020, 10:22 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,758,240 times
We went to a restaurant the other day with outside seating set up in the parking lot. No signs about mask required until you walked through the tables from the parking lot to where they seat you. Before they seated us, they said masks were mandatory and then proceeded to lead us in the same path in which previously walked without a mask. Mind you, this is the first time I have worn a mask as I have been able to avoid this since the start of these shenanigan's. Once sat at the table, they were not required, but we watched many families doing the same as us. Its very comical and tells me that masks are required only because they are being forced to tell their customers this, not because they are concerned. Too many people jumping on this bandwagon turns nothing into something when everyone sees everyone else doing it, even when they don't know why they are doing it, or are doing it to just "play the game".

Old 07-29-2020, 11:45 AM

995 posts, read 509,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
We went to a restaurant the other day with outside seating set up in the parking lot. No signs about mask required until you walked through the tables from the parking lot to where they seat you. Before they seated us, they said masks were mandatory and then proceeded to lead us in the same path in which previously walked without a mask. Mind you, this is the first time I have worn a mask as I have been able to avoid this since the start of these shenanigan's. Once sat at the table, they were not required, but we watched many families doing the same as us. Its very comical and tells me that masks are required only because they are being forced to tell their customers this, not because they are concerned. Too many people jumping on this bandwagon turns nothing into something when everyone sees everyone else doing it, even when they don't know why they are doing it, or are doing it to just "play the game".
That's why I think this whole mask thing is a farce. Sure, they're great for close interactions, such at salons and medical personnel, but for places like outdoor restaurants, it's just silly. Same for indoor restaurants for that matter - does the virus stay put while people are eating?

And what's the point of requiring them at the movie theaters when they reopen? Masks until the popcorn munching begins, and it's still safe because ...

I just can't stand stupidity, and this mask thing takes the cake in so many ways.

While I'm not one to take my mask off at places where it's required, I'm limiting my economic activity to absolutely necessary for daily living - i.e., nothing fun or recreational. I won't fly, I won't eat out, I won't see movies, or shop for pleasure. Not until those masks are G-O-N-E.

Until then, I'll just retreat into my inner imagination of a magical, wondrous place that's very much like Heaven, except you don't have to die to go see it. Nomask Land. You betcha.

Old 07-29-2020, 09:23 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Whats really funny and sad about it, many of the popular style masks people are wearing, do not even protect against Covid19!! Says it right on the box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates