Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2020, 04:33 PM

12,385 posts, read 8,144,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post
Not only that, but some employers expect you to show up even if you are on your death bed. They don't care that you might infect your co-workers, or that you need time off to see a doctor or care for a sick child. Children are sent to school with the sniffles, which are then passed along to other students, and eventually to the parents who must go to work at all costs (both due to economic concerns and strict employers.)

There will always be sick people in public. Wearing masks may be the only answer to protect others, since few will take it upon themselves to keep others from getting sick. As disturbing as it may be, people are stupid and will take chances with their own lives as well as with others. That's why there are seat belt laws and helmet laws. Sadly, there may need to be mask laws as well.

A few weeks ago with the Micheal Jordan documentary one big story was the game he played when all the announcers thought he was suffering from flu like symptoms. We are now told that the team suspected Utah fans trying to poison him with a pizza, but still the story the game announcers gave and the public heard was that winners, the greatest of all time, continue to go out with the flu.

At the begging of COVID we were told at work take off and don't come in to work with any symptom. Now with the surge locally and some of our work units at less than 50% of the work force authorized strength the old complaints about people using their sick leave have returned. Even with the news on 24/7 that instead of doing relatively good due to one politician/party and we are now doing bad due to the other politician and party, the management had gone back to their pre COVID standard operating procedure of thinking and telling us at work that anyone calling in sick are just taking an unscheduled day off and "abusing" their sick leave,

Old 07-12-2020, 05:05 PM

7,645 posts, read 4,594,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylentvoyce View Post
OK, since there is an abundance of COVID 19 and mask wearing threads; I'll be very clear about the purpose of this thread. To moderators, let me know if this particular topic has been addressed already.

The question here concerns the legal aspect of mandating masks. The primary concern is: When the pandemic ends, next month or next decade, will the rules about wearing masks ever be rescinded?

Think of every law, rule, policy, and ordinance that has been enacted in response to a threat. Be it war, disease, or corruption; and ask yourself: Has any of these ever been repealed or rescinded after the threat had ended?

It seems once a politician has enacted new policy. It just gets forgotten, forever to be left in place under threat of criminal action.

Thoughts?

Go get em op. I'm still fighting for the fascists for their no shirt no shoes no service requirement. <sarcasm>

Wear a mask. The whole world is looking for leadership, has taken steps to control things and the Americans are running around spoiling it for all. When the time comes to take them off, politicians will be jumping to do so.

Old 07-12-2020, 05:18 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,706,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Go get em op. I'm still fighting for the fascists for their no shirt no shoes no service requirement. <sarcasm>
Zero sarcasm on my part. I'd love to live in a completely nude society, or at least one that regards clothing as an option, just as we regard hats as an option ... or formerly, masks as an option.

Old 07-12-2020, 05:28 PM

8,481 posts, read 6,884,817 times
I love the anonymity. Masked, ball cap and shades. No one can recognize me even the ubiquitous surveillance cameras.

Old 07-15-2020, 08:37 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,590,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
I love the anonymity. Masked, ball cap and shades. No one can recognize me even the ubiquitous surveillance cameras.
Comes in handy when I see people I know that I don't want to talk to.

Old 07-15-2020, 10:15 AM

4,942 posts, read 3,049,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debsrace View Post
To be safe, I am probably going to wear a mask out in the public from here on out.

I can't help but wonder, had we all done this nationwide last Spring for 90 days; would we be at least back to semi-normal on 7/15?.
Now we're going to have to do it on and off, depending on your state; for god knows how long.

Old 07-15-2020, 11:02 AM

16,076 posts, read 10,735,467 times
Do you sleep in your face mask? Do you wear them in your home? Do you wear them when driving? Yes, certain people must have a face mask when working in a public setting for hours at a time but most of us probably average 30 minutes or less a day. It is not a hardship to put on a mask to do your grocery shopping once a week or to go into Wal-Mart on occasion.

However, the idea that we can send masked kids to school to sit in a classroom with 25-30 other kids and listen to a teacher mumble through a face mask all day and actually learn something is pretty far fetched. It simply isn't going to work.

Old 07-15-2020, 02:34 PM

17 posts, read 42,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
"Who stands to gain from this masked society?"

There's ALWAYS people who gain from this, don't think that the government has our best interest. We are nothing but a dollar sign to them. I do believe that they are good people in government, I'm not saying every government official is a innately bad person. However, the "elites" gain from this, the more they can control every aspect of our lives, equals more financial benefit for them. They claim that they are doing what this and that for "our safety" but then "safety" turns into keeping us in check. Having us where they want us. And right now, its working like a charm!

It's not to say that mask can't be helpful but they aren't entirely bulletproof. Not all mask are created equal and there's lots of articles that talk about the downside to constant mask wearing.

The elephant in the room regarding masking that is almost never mentioned is the financial aspect. With the economy in the US as well as many other places now floundering under covid restrictions there has been born a new industry that has grown into a multi-billion dollar behemoth overnight...masking. It is certain that there are individals who are making bank in a big way from sales of personal PPE.

Potential health issues of the debate aside, I'm willing to venture that a good number of those beneficiaries could be found at all including the highest levels of public health, government and politics in the US and abroad.

Old 07-16-2020, 02:24 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:
"Many say your freedom stops where my health begins, that's why mask rules are necessary, but I argue on the flip end of the end coin."

I agree! I detest this sentiment! So now I am responsible FOR YOU? I am responsible for the fact that you possibly have made lousy choices to your body and now I have to pay for that? I have to be responsible for the obese person who has decided to bask in gluttony? I have to be responsible for the 80 year old who chose to smoke 3 packs of cigarettes a day for most their life and now has a terrible respiratory issues? I have to be responsible for little Johnny and Katie who's only 8 years old and terribly overweight because their parents injected them with a terrible diet? How many people are we supposed to be responsible for when they make the choice and assume the risk of stepping out of their homes?

I'm not saying I don't care about others and I would say I am quite the considerate person. However, people have to assume the risk, know the risk of what they decide to partake in life. If I get sick or someone in my family gets sick (which has happened actually) I don't expect no one else to take care of them other then myself and the family, the tribe. I'm not going to get mad at the public for not doing their part for my or my families health. Granted, if they are a direct threat, that's different, otherwise, Personal responsibility!
Your behavior does not make some else obese or have any effect on the smoker.

However, by not wearing a mask you can make someone else potentially get sick enough to die. No one else wants to be exposed to your or your tribe's germs. Wear a mask, for goodness' sake.

Old 07-16-2020, 05:55 AM

35,035 posts, read 16,987,357 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylentvoyce View Post
That is a fair statement Bosox 15. hopefully these rules don't last in some form in perpetuity. The biggest thing is individual responsibility. As with the poster above I believe in individual responsibility. But that means those people have to understand the importance of protection, but still maintain the freedom to choose.

Many say your freedom stops where my health begins, that's why mask rules are necessary, but I argue on the flip end of the end coin. That our combined freedom allows you to choose to only hang out with people who wear masks. Enforcing rules on others for your comfort or health takes away from that individualism.

Yes. the chief focus of this thread is analyzing rules made by politicians. As such it will inevitably end up getting political. I hope to be active in this thread, to help moderate that a bit.

thank you for your input.
"Many say your freedom stops where my health begins, that's why mask rules are necessary, but I argue on the flip end of the end coin."

I agree! I detest this sentiment! So now I am responsible FOR YOU? I am responsible for the fact that you possibly have made lousy choices to your body and now I have to pay for that? I have to be responsible for the obese person who has decided to bask in gluttony? I have to be responsible for the 80 year old who chose to smoke 3 packs of cigarettes a day for most their life and now has a terrible respiratory issues? I have to be responsible for little Johnny and Katie who's only 8 years old and terribly overweight because their parents injected them with a terrible diet? How many people are we supposed to be responsible for when they make the choice and assume the risk of stepping out of their homes?

I'm not saying I don't care about others and I would say I am quite the considerate person. However, people have to assume the risk, know the risk of what they decide to partake in life. If I get sick or someone in my family gets sick (which has happened actually) I don't expect no one else to take care of them other then myself and the family, the tribe. I'm not going to get mad at the public for not doing their part for my or my families health. Granted, if they are a direct threat, that's different, otherwise, Personal responsibility!
Even though I am a decided "Covid skeptic" here we disagree. I agree that Covid is not the bubonic plague, that the fatality rate is low and that even the "permanent damage" claims and, for children, the "Kawasaki" claims are mostly for the purpose of inducing hysteria.

I do not agree that people in somewhat compromised categories, though, should avoid the insides of stores. I know neither of you say it but that's what your posts mean.

It goes with why I support the virtual forbidding of indoor smoking, except perhaps in specially designated areas. I believe that we are in a pandemic and that the coronavirus is quite contagious. For the relatively small parts of your day when you are in a confined, public space, a little bit of accommodation to the group is not asking too much.

If masks prove to be less than, say, 25% effectual in containing outbound virus spread from a person, I would change my mind. Covid will not be the last contagious epidemic. I know I haven't had a cold yet in calendar year 2020 and I intuit that the precautions we are taking, from ones I do myself (hand-washing, hydrating and making sure I get sleep) to public actions such as masks and some limited distancing are partly responsible. I do remember guidance, during my childhood in the 1960's and early 1970's to avoid crowds during epidemics. I am not offended by making crowds safer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Do you sleep in your face mask? Do you wear them in your home? Do you wear them when driving? Yes, certain people must have a face mask when working in a public setting for hours at a time but most of us probably average 30 minutes or less a day. It is not a hardship to put on a mask to do your grocery shopping once a week or to go into Wal-Mart on occasion.

However, the idea that we can send masked kids to school to sit in a classroom with 25-30 other kids and listen to a teacher mumble through a face mask all day and actually learn something is pretty far fetched. It simply isn't going to work.
Perhaps if the teacher walks around the classroom he or she can flip her mask up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates