Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 02:11 PM

3,476 posts, read 2,462,849 times

Advertisements

I'd rename them because it's really overdue. I mean, why would anyone want to name a military installation after the LOSERS of the war?

Old 12-07-2020, 02:28 PM

565 posts, read 475,534 times
https://www.ozy.com/news-and-politic...outhern/72100/

Old 12-07-2020, 07:44 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,576,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Would you consider General Sherman an American hero? Was his scorched earth policy heroic? It helped free the slaves after all.

What about General Patton? His win at all costs, throw fresh meat into the fray tactics were a reason we defeated the Nazis.

I have a unique perspective on history than you I'm sure. My family, being from both deep south SC and Grand Rapids, MI, fought on both sides of the war.

The southern side were dirt farmers, owned a few slaves, and fought to defeat an army who was invading their property because they didn't want it burned to the ground.

The northern side fought because they were military men, and felt it was right to protect the nation's interests.

I consider both sides of men to be heroes because they fought, and paid heavy prices, for their country. I don't see General Lee to be any less or more of a hero than General Sherman or General Patton or any other person who has fought for this country.
You sure do have a unique perspective saying the south only owned a few slaves. Hows bout owned most of the slaves in the country?
I've heard tell something about Articles of Secession....from this country.........could be fake news.

Old 12-07-2020, 09:13 PM

639 posts, read 331,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
He got a tank named after him. A very famous and well built tank that helped the U.S. win WW2.
A flame locomotive that he would have been extremely proud of and honored by.

Old 12-08-2020, 04:19 AM

4,225 posts, read 2,542,322 times
There is a myth that the south rose as a righteous body to defend itself against invaders. If that were, Virginia and the rest of the CSA would not have had to forcibly conscript. Armed resistance movements to the draft appeared in the Piedmont. But it was a poor man's war, the wealthy could avoid it in numerous ways from hiring substitutes to exemptions for large slave holders. About 30% of all whites owned slaves. Slavery was a system based on race, hereditary and enforced through terror, mutilation and rape. It had morphed from the 18th century from a necessary evil to a Biblically sanctioned institution by the 1840's. Once the Almighty is brought into a conflict, there is almost no backing down.

Virginia would not have been "burned to the ground" as it is put above had it not been so pathetically led. When the final referendum was taken on to leave or not, the Confederate Army had already been asked to come by the Governor, the Confederate flag had been raised over the capital and the ballots from the Unionist leaning counties were conveniently lost. Virginia at least had an option, follow the line of secession or follow the example of John Minor Botts. It took us 100 years to recover.

The statue of Jackson was removed yesterday from VMI. Good riddance. He was part of the myth of the "lost cause." Maybe they would erect a statue to Edward C. Carrington (born in VA, son Lt. Col. Edward C Carrington, Continental Army)the highest ranking VMI graduate in the Union Army...not likely.

Last edited by webster; 12-08-2020 at 04:41 AM..

Old 12-08-2020, 11:38 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,576,433 times
A little off topic, but related. Here's the OP of a thread I just started in the Md Forum.........

This issue goes well beyond the Talbot statue and isn't going away.
65 homeowners will need to change their address. M-NCPPC will ultimately decide.
Quote:
There were 325 street names, 30 parks and six trails in the county that matched the surname of a Confederate.The county has identified 709 Confederate names — 269 of which were residents of the county and 440 of which were senior officers of the Confederate Army, who were not residents of the county and are nationally known names.The new database also has the names of more than 3,300 enslaved individuals and more than 5,800 names of people who enslaved them.

https://bethesdamagazine.com/bethesd...eid=b1423745aa

Old 12-08-2020, 11:23 PM

639 posts, read 331,689 times
It's looking like the decision to rename the bases could possibly be finalized before the next President is even sworn in, so at least it'll be over soon. I wonder how long the DoD will have to spend deciding on names and implementing the changes?

Old 12-09-2020, 03:02 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,497,643 times
do it and be done with it.

war is over.

move on

Old 12-09-2020, 01:16 PM

34,139 posts, read 83,155,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEL1NER View Post
wonder how long the DoD will have to spend deciding on...?
About twenty minutes for some Major to find the file they've been working on since 1948.

Old 12-10-2020, 09:01 AM

6,842 posts, read 4,296,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
do it and be done with it.

war is over.

move on

They will "move on" to non-Confederate dead white people who have had some opinion that's not OK in 2020 as far as they're concerned or made a remark some time that isn't OK to them. Woodrow Wilson is already 'cancelled', Jefferson is halfway there, Washington will be the big challenge but don't be naive, they're working on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates