Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 10:09 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,567,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
They will "move on" to non-Confederate dead white people who have had some opinion that's not OK in 2020 as far as they're concerned or made a remark some time that isn't OK to them. Woodrow Wilson is already 'cancelled', Jefferson is halfway there, Washington will be the big challenge but don't be naive, they're working on it.
You didn't need to include the word "white" in that sentence.......but you did,........an act of commission as opposed to omission.
Have you ever heard the expression:"The soft bigotry of low expectations"...........?

Since you reside in NoVa, can you tell whatever happened to that massive (Car Dealer Size +) Confederate flag that flew alongside NB I 95, about 30-40 miles south of DC? I understood it was on private property and couldn't be removed.

Old 12-10-2020, 11:10 AM

6,791 posts, read 4,236,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
You didn't need to include the word "white" in that sentence.......but you did,........an act of commission as opposed to omission.
Have you ever heard the expression:"The soft bigotry of low expectations"...........?

Since you reside in NoVa, can you tell whatever happened to that massive (Car Dealer Size +) Confederate flag that flew alongside NB I 95, about 30-40 miles south of DC? I understood it was on private property and couldn't be removed.

The state confiscated the property via eminent domain (for a road project supposedly, not able to verify whether that was legitimately the reason), and they took the flag down last month.

Old 12-10-2020, 11:39 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,874,153 times
Quote:
The state confiscated the property via eminent domain (for a road project supposedly, not able to verify whether that was legitimately the reason), and they took the flag down last month.
I personally think that government frequently abuses the law of eminent domain, and wish that someone might have managed to find another way to remove that flag.

For the Virginia Flaggers, It’s Hate, Not Heritage

Quoted from linked article: "The organization has enjoyed steady coverage by local media outlets over the last five years, but few reporters have looked closely at Flagger membership or the individuals and organizations with which it has found common cause. Some of these individuals are directly connected with White Nationalist groups such as the League of the South, which openly promote white supremacy. Such a close association blurs the lines between legitimate concerns for the preservation of history and heritage and the racial politics of the present."

Old 12-10-2020, 12:36 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,476,108 times
Quote:
They will "move on" to non-Confederate dead white people who have had some opinion that's not OK in 2020 as far as they're concerned or made a remark some time that isn't OK to them. Woodrow Wilson is already 'cancelled', Jefferson is halfway there, Washington will be the big challenge but don't be naive, they're working on it.

washington and jefferson helped build the nation. Confederates tried to break it.

ALso, they will run out of steam.

Old 12-11-2020, 10:53 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
washington and jefferson helped build the nation. Confederates tried to break it.

ALso, they will run out of steam.
The so-called cancel culture will, as you indicate, run out of steam. In the long run, however, it is good that they are forcing a re-examination of people like Washington and Jefferson. Not to "cancel" them, but to get more realistic about them. History is only worthwhile when it's honest history.

Old 12-11-2020, 11:13 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,014,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The so-called cancel culture will, as you indicate, run out of steam. In the long run, however, it is good that they are forcing a re-examination of people like Washington and Jefferson. Not to "cancel" them, but to get more realistic about them. History is only worthwhile when it's honest history.
unless you were actually there to witness it...........history is at best conjecture and "he said she said".....

Old 12-11-2020, 12:19 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,567,557 times
Both houses of Congress have passed the NDAA with the base name provision intact.
Over to the tough talker now......

Old 12-11-2020, 05:32 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
I was born at Fort Benning and lived at Camp (now Fort) Hood back in the 1940s.
I will always think of them by those names after they are renamed, but don’t object to the change. In fact I think it is appropriate.

Hope it doesn’t cause any problems with my birth certificate records & passport though.

I’d like to see Benning renamed after Lieutenant General Simon Bolivar Buckner Jr. - my dad served under him in the Aleutian Campaign in 1943, before the General was killed at the end of the Battle of Okinawa. He was highest ranking US general killed in WW2, and the highest ranking US officer ever killed by foreign action until the September 11 terrorist attack.
His daddy was a Confederate general, so that would be kinda amusing.

Old 12-11-2020, 07:24 PM

828 posts, read 465,550 times
To me it is good that these base's names will be changed. Slavery in the U.S. will wind up being one of THE great weights in our destruction. The theft of anothers labors is wrong. Add to that the fact our forefathers brought people incapable of defending themselves, and who were unwilling to come here voluntarily, to work them as slaves and we see it hasn't turned out well for any of us. So yes, since we can't seem to get past this unfortunate period in our story, we need change.
My suggestion would be to name them according to geographic coordinates. Fort "35/79" could be Fort Bragg. That way there are no references to actual humans over which someone's feelings might be injured. And yes, I am serious.

Old 12-11-2020, 08:43 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,874,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amil23 View Post
To me it is good that these base's names will be changed. Slavery in the U.S. will wind up being one of THE great weights in our destruction. The theft of anothers labors is wrong. Add to that the fact our forefathers brought people incapable of defending themselves, and who were unwilling to come here voluntarily, to work them as slaves and we see it hasn't turned out well for any of us. So yes, since we can't seem to get past this unfortunate period in our story, we need change.
My suggestion would be to name them according to geographic coordinates. Fort "35/79" could be Fort Bragg. That way there are no references to actual humans over which someone's feelings might be injured. And yes, I am serious.
I have difficulty remembering my own phone number so I don't think I'd be in favor of our military bases being named in geographic coordinates, like "Fort 35/79." But I do like your suggestion of not naming them after people again.

If you ask me, I'd like to see at least four of those bases named Fort Allegiance, Fort Republic, Fort Liberty, and Fort Justice -- words from our Pledge of Allegiance, to remind all of the importance of keeping the nation intact and indivisible.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates