Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2020, 08:58 AM

6,701 posts, read 5,930,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEL1NER View Post
I mean, I've read numerous interviews and speeches over the years from minority servicemembers and veterans who talked about how it made them feel to join the military, go off to training, and wind up at a base named after a traitor general who fought to keep their forefathers enslaved. When black veterans talk about serving in segregated units, being discriminated on-base and off during the first half of the 20th century, being denied benefits everyone else got like the GI Bill, and more, the Confederate naming issue a lot of times has popped up.

But they were probably making it all up anyway, right? I mean, who could actually care about this issue (other than the people telling you they care about it)? Better to just dismiss it all out of hand, rather than give a few seconds of actual thought to it.
Serving in segregated units is one thing. Simply enlisting and being stationed on a base that has a name like Bragg that probably that service member had no idea who it was... this beggars the imagination.

Since you bring up discrimination, it should be noted that the U.S. armed forces were the first institution to get rid of segregation, back in the 1940s. In fact it was an executive order from President Truman, and there was resistance from the top officers at first.

But then they observed how a division of thousands of black Marines comported themselves in Korea, fighting courageously and competently. This persuaded them that these men deserved integration, that integration would succeed, and so they stopped resisting the idea.

For decades, the single most influential institution for uplifting young black men, providing them with literacy and professional skills and self-respect, was the U.S. Army, and probably it's true still to this day.

[moderator edit]

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 11-21-2020 at 09:35 AM.. Reason: Personal attack. Keep it civil, please.

Old 11-21-2020, 09:17 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,567,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
I didn't say they couldn't or wouldn't only that I think they shouldn't. The defense news was to show that this is still under discussion, not a done deal yet - no analysis needed. I have a lot of knowledge of how this stuff works, having been involved in this type of process many times before.

The military is under the executive branch, whether you like it or not. The military doesn't take action based on peeps feelings or polls, the chain of command is through the executive branch. I know the Legislature has the power to control this through funding and legislation but I wish they wouldn't.

I really don't have a dog in the fight whether the bases are renamed or not, I just think it is a knee jerk reaction and would be best if congress did not get involved. BTW - not that it matters but I have been to more than half of these bases.
For the third time, you're accusing me of being mistaken or wrong, about something I addressed in the OP.
Please read the OP, this is getting tiresome.
I've expressed zero opinion or preference as to which branch the military should be under. When the Prez is the Commander-in-Chief, it should be pretty obvious.You're raising a straw man.

Old 11-21-2020, 11:05 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
Renaming of roads like Lee-Jackson Memorial Highway, is currently a contentious issue in Va, as is the renaming of schools in Va, and to a lesser extent in DC and Md.
Monument Ave. in Richmond has seen some big changes this year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monument_Avenue

It's impractical to remove military bases, so renaming them seems like the next best option.
I should have mentioned that the schools I was talking about are in Virginia.

I have mixed feelings about Monument Avenue because I love history.

Old 11-21-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Why? What was the reasoning?
At face it sounds like a pendulum swung too far as I wouldn't consider the situations similar at all.
https://www.cityoffairfaxschools.org...REC_ID=2069627

This article gives actual responses to the call for the change.

Old 11-21-2020, 11:25 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,874,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
https://www.cityoffairfaxschools.org...REC_ID=2069627

This article gives actual responses to the call for the change.
Quoted from linked article:

Quote:
Discarding them, their memory, and the sacrifices they made (made not for slavery, but for their fellow citizens), is to treat them the way so many treated Vietnam Veterans returning from a war they fought because their country called on them to do it.
I would not compare Confederate soldiers to Vietnam Veterans. The above statement represents the logical fallacy of argumentum ad passiones.

Old 11-22-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Quoted from linked article:

I would not compare Confederate soldiers to Vietnam Veterans. The above statement represents the logical fallacy of argumentum ad passiones.

I didn't say they were all valid. I just thought it was interesting to read what some of the dialog actually was.

Old 11-24-2020, 07:40 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I think it is all a bunch of silliness. No one really knows who these people were. Fort Sill? Who is Sill? Fort Bragg? No idea. Moultrie? Probably some French Kenigit.
I think they tried to name the Forts after generals who were from the states the forts are located in. Some states did not have any well known generals so we got some obscure names. In other cases we got forts like Bragg and Hood, who were well known full generals but who were terrible in command of large armies (Hood in particular destroyed his own army by repeated frontal attacks).

Politics probably played a role too. Fort Benning in Georgia is named after Benning, a minor general instead of the far more well known General James Longstreet, one of the best corps commanders of the Civil War.

Why? Both men were from Georgia but Longstreet made the cardinal sin of supporting equal rights for Black Americans after the Civil War. So Longstreet became persona non-grata for many years in the South which is why Fort Benning is named after such a non entity as Benning instead of Longstreet.

Old 11-24-2020, 08:50 PM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
99.9% of people don't even know who the bases were named after. Probably one radical thought this up, then it went viral.
If 99.9% are clueless it is an easy change then. There are plenty of non-Confederates to name military bases after. If only 0.1% cares and puts up a fuss, then maybe they are the radicals.

Old 11-24-2020, 09:05 PM

6,701 posts, read 5,930,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
If 99.9% are clueless it is an easy change then. There are plenty of non-Confederates to name military bases after. If only 0.1% cares and puts up a fuss, then maybe they are the radicals.
Renaming historical landmarks, tearing down statues, altering the language, condemning famous historical figures... if only 0.1% care and put up a fuss, what's the problem?

Old 11-25-2020, 05:41 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
... if only 0.1% care and put up a fuss, what's the problem?
Poor education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates