Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2020, 12:55 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,577,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
New York City is named for James II, the Duke Of York. No one single individual profited more from the Atlantic slave trade than him, shipping thousands of slaves to the New World. Yet I don't hear any outrage or see any street riots over that particular issue.
What would you hope for, (New Amsterdam?) and who would you expect to be outraged or riot?

Old 11-13-2020, 12:58 PM

6,717 posts, read 5,965,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
You need to reread both your own, and my previous post, because you're tying yourself up in knots.

I don't think you've said what you thought you were saying.
What you've actually said here is that you are LMAO at the claim on the About Page that "Service members and their families rely on MilitaryTimes.com as a trusted, independent source for news and information on the most important issues affecting their careers and personal lives,".

You haven't challenged the 2nd half of the quote which says:"An AllSides independent review in June 2020 found that the website rarely employs any sort of political slant or preference in its reporting."
You're original claim was that is was a liberal mouthpiece. I've given you an authority that says it's neutral, and you come back with a load of stuff about Matthis/Syria etc. that's irrelevant to the topic.

Republicans insisted on changing the name of National Airport in DC to Ronald Regan Airport. 30 million a year use the facility. Easy Peasy!
I thought that was a stupid thing to do, and I liked Reagan. National Airport was a great and appropriate name. Name a new aircraft carrier after Reagan but leave the poor airport alone.

as for the rest of what you said - makes no sense. My posting stands.

Old 11-13-2020, 01:22 PM

4,121 posts, read 1,891,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I thought that was a stupid thing to do, and I liked Reagan. National Airport was a great and appropriate name. Name a new aircraft carrier after Reagan but leave the poor airport alone.

as for the rest of what you said - makes no sense. My posting stands.
What TVMH posted certainly makes sense, regardless of whether or not you understood it.

Here is another independent review of Military Times, by Media Bias Fact Check, corroborating the one supplied by TVMH, in which Military Times received a rating of "very high" for factual reporting.

If you have evidence to the contrary, then present it, please. Preferably along with a bias fact-check link of your own.

Old 11-13-2020, 01:23 PM

30,696 posts, read 18,343,305 times
I generally am not in favor of renaming bases and the like as the result of political pressure, but I'd like to see why and when certain bases were named. If they were named in the aftermath of the War as a gesture of good will and in the spirit of reconciliation, I don't have a problem. If they were not named during the height of Jim Crow, hoever, then they have to go as far as I'm concerned.

Old 11-13-2020, 01:54 PM

6,843 posts, read 4,300,309 times
They will naturally be renamed once Biden is in. No point in getting too upset by it.

More important is what they rename them to. Judging by the new names they've chosen for schools and roads etc. here in NoVa where this renaming thing already started years ago thanks to the "yankee takeover" of the area the bases will probably soon have names reminiscent of Soviet military bases. I can't wait for Fort Angela Davis and Fort Solidarity.

Old 11-13-2020, 02:22 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,577,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I generally am not in favor of renaming bases and the like as the result of political pressure, but I'd like to see why and when certain bases were named. If they were named in the aftermath of the War as a gesture of good will and in the spirit of reconciliation, I don't have a problem. If they were not named during the height of Jim Crow, hoever, then they have to go as far as I'm concerned.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/59662419-post8.html

Old 11-13-2020, 02:32 PM

2,567 posts, read 2,228,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
What would you hope for, (New Amsterdam?) and who would you expect to be outraged or riot?
BLM comes to mind. Really?

Wasn't aware of this until the topic came up on another site some months ago. One proposal was renaming NYC to "New George Floyd". Couldn't tell if they were serious or not.

Last edited by Slater; 11-13-2020 at 03:03 PM..

Old 11-13-2020, 05:13 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,529,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
LMAO, yeah that's a totally objective source -- the website's own About page!

I've read that publication a few times and it's pretty liberal... unlike probably 75% to 90% of military folks.

I'll admit, Trump may not be well liked among some of the top officers. Mattis quit, then started bashing Trump on MSNBC like so many other Swamp creatures have done. Serve your country, resign or get fired, then betray your former commander in chief. What a tool.

And why was he mad? Because Trump went over his head and spoke directly to the commanders on the ground in Syria. He asked them why the fight against ISIS was taking so long and why they weren't going all out to defeat it. He was told, they were not allowed to use the necessary tactics. He asked them, what are the necessary tactics? They replied, they would flank the enemy, hit him from the sides, hit him from behind, leave him nowhere to run. Yes, the Pentagon's top so-called generals prevented them from using this type of strategy. Trump then ordered the top brass to allow the field commanders the latitude to conduct the war as they saw fit, and within a matter of days and weeks they had thoroughly routed the ISIS fighters and ended the conflict.

He has annoyed the top officers, for sure. He probably isn't very popular among entrenched bureaucrats in the Pentagon who have an interest in keeping a low level war going, with all the spending, procurement, and turf fights that it involves.

Well like it or not, the President doesn't exist to serve the military officer class. The military exists to serve the people, led by the President.

Okay so he's not the most diplomatic or smooth speaking politician out there. But he got a war ended and removed the bulk of the U.S. personnel from harm's way. In my opinion he deserves a medal, not ignominious defeat at the polls.

As for the names of bases. These are huge installations, some with thousands of personnel living & working there, many books, articles, texts, websites, histories, memories... imagine the costs, let alone the confusion it would cause to rename such a place just out of political correctness, because some modern day snowflakes with zero historical knowledge are having a meltdown over the "racist" names... ridiculous.

Let's just rename all the towns and states in the country while we're at it since most of them are white European names and of course America is a history of white European aggression against non-white peoples. Or so my kid tells me based on her 9th grade American history course. Which she herself finds totally laughable.
lol what war did Trump 'end'? US forces are still knee deep in doo doo in the middle east. Ok, so he took out that Iranian guy...that didn't do much to move the needle. i guess covid completely surpressed the mid-east conflict in terms of global attention. history never stops. i'm all for names being changed as time goes on and as people become more aware. the united states of america is not homogenous, never was homogenous, and so what if there's recognition of the diverse peoples that make up America? If there are PC snowflakes, then the flip side are the whites who have a complex - those that feel they're being demonized and just lash out at everything and anything.

Old 11-13-2020, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
lol what war did Trump 'end'? US forces are still knee deep in doo doo in the middle east. Ok, so he took out that Iranian guy...that didn't do much to move the needle. i guess covid completely surpressed the mid-east conflict in terms of global attention. history never stops. i'm all for names being changed as time goes on and as people become more aware. the united states of america is not homogenous, never was homogenous, and so what if there's recognition of the diverse peoples that make up America? If there are PC snowflakes, then the flip side are the whites who have a complex - those that feel they're being demonized and just lash out at everything and anything.
We have always recognized our diversity. We just haven't turned it into a bitter, divisive thing until recently.

Old 11-19-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Were the confederate statue issues in the news so much recently also some sort of comedy to you?

It's the same basic issue -- glorifying traitors and regardless of what they might have achieved
prior to their treason and regardless of how the press release BS at the time characterized it all.
99.9% of people don't even know who the bases were named after. Probably one radical thought this up, then it went viral.

In fact I wonder if the whole thing is a prank from the start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates