Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2020, 04:50 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,913,617 times

Advertisements

I think it is all a bunch of silliness. No one really knows who these people were. Fort Sill? Who is Sill? Fort Bragg? No idea. Moultrie? Probably some French Kenigit.

Old 11-20-2020, 05:13 PM

11,140 posts, read 7,205,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I think it is all a bunch of silliness. No one really knows who these people were. Fort Sill? Who is Sill? Fort Bragg? No idea. Moultrie? Probably some French Kenigit.
Yeah. It's more about puffing up chests and kicking dust in the air. The particular names used don't amount to squat. I want to change them all to Fort Hognose, Fort Blishmash, Fort Bumface, Fort Zynnglom, etc.

Old 11-20-2020, 05:27 PM

636 posts, read 329,744 times
Pretty interesting territory we’re moving into now. The thread is going from “If I ignore the people on the other side it makes it look like there’s no one there, so no one actually cares about this issue” to “Well if I don’t know who they are no one else does either. Everyone else is probably as ignorant of history as I am.”
Well done.

Old 11-20-2020, 06:15 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,394,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Therein lies the problem of why this naming of bases lasted though the ages, that executive branch IS, all too often, a vocal minority..
Actually according to ABC poll - the majority oppose renaming 42% support & 56% oppose renaming - so those calling for the renaming are the vocal minority.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
In the OP I noted:

Your analysis is a little off. Both houses have passed legislation requiring it. 81-14 in the R controlled Senate.

https://www.npr.org/sections/live-up...o-rename-bases
Your analysis is a little off - that is the national defense authorization bill that was being authorized - funding defense is what passed - it is still up in the air over renaming bases and Afghanistan drawdown to be discussed. From defense news

Quote:
U.S. House and Senate conferees will meet Wednesday to wrangle over the massive 2021 defense authorization bill, but they still face potentially bill-derailing fights over whether to keep plans requiring the retitling of Confederate-named bases and regarding an Afghanistan drawdown.
Again leave it up to the military brass, stop politicizing these type of things.

Old 11-20-2020, 06:36 PM

3,406 posts, read 1,912,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I didn't know that. That's interesting.
Ft. Harriett Tubman, or Ft. George Floyd just don't sound right. Please leave Ft. Benning, Ft. Campbell, and Ft Bragg alone.

Old 11-20-2020, 07:20 PM

2,562 posts, read 2,225,592 times
Millions of soldiers have passed through these bases in their existence. I'd guess that very few (if any) cared in the least about the name of the base. [moderator edit]

I'd be curious if the crew of the currently active cruiser USS Chancellorsville had any opinions about the name of their ship. In World War II, the light cruiser USS Columbia flew the Confederate naval jack for the duration of the war.

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 11-20-2020 at 08:33 PM.. Reason: Please keep it civil.

Old 11-20-2020, 07:51 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,574,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Actually according to ABC poll - the majority oppose renaming 42% support & 56% oppose renaming - so those calling for the renaming are the vocal minority.

Your analysis is a little off - that is the national defense authorization bill that was being authorized - funding defense is what passed - it is still up in the air over renaming bases and Afghanistan drawdown to be discussed. From defense news

Again leave it up to the military brass, stop politicizing these type of things.
No, you're wrong, my analysis is not a little off, it's correct.

I know it's NDAA, the NPR piece made that pretty clear. Telling me that, is just wasting space stating the obvious.
My purpose in citing the NDAA was to counter your assertion, that Congress wouldn't/couldn't/shouldn't/ get involved in the decision. The house and senate bills have not yet been reconciled, and can't be sent to the President until they are.

Your Defense News piece told me nothing I didn't already know, which leads me to believe you don't understand the process.
There are other polls that disagree with the ABC poll.
I noted in the OP that the genesis of the proposal was a rise in white supremacy in the ranks.

Old 11-20-2020, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
No, you're wrong, my analysis is not a little off, it's correct.

I know it's NDAA, the NPR piece made that pretty clear. Telling me that, is just wasting space stating the obvious.
My purpose in citing the NDAA was to counter your assertion, that Congress wouldn't/couldn't/shouldn't/ get involved in the decision. The house and senate bills have not yet been reconciled, and can't be sent to the President until they are.

Your Defense News piece told me nothing I didn't already know, which leads me to believe you don't understand the process.
There are other polls that disagree with the ABC poll.
I noted in the OP that the genesis of the proposal was a rise in white supremacy in the ranks.
I didn't say they couldn't or wouldn't only that I think they shouldn't. The defense news was to show that this is still under discussion, not a done deal yet - no analysis needed. I have a lot of knowledge of how this stuff works, having been involved in this type of process many times before.

The military is under the executive branch, whether you like it or not. The military doesn't take action based on peeps feelings or polls, the chain of command is through the executive branch. I know the Legislature has the power to control this through funding and legislation but I wish they wouldn't.

I really don't have a dog in the fight whether the bases are renamed or not, I just think it is a knee jerk reaction and would be best if congress did not get involved. BTW - not that it matters but I have been to more than half of these bases.

Old 11-21-2020, 04:07 AM

This is kind of silly really - where does it stop - why only these 10 bases, there are really 3 other bases that are tainted - 2 other bases named after confederate generals - Camp Pendleton, VA and Camp Maxey, TX and another major base is named after a slave plantation, Ft Belvoir, VA. There is also things like a barracks named after Robert E Lee at west point. What about the 64 counties and many cities that are named after these guys also. Some of these cities are not in southern states, such as Ft Bragg, CA and Breckenridge, CO - maybe they also should be forced to change.

BTW - There are currently 2 Camp Pendeltons, one in VA named after a Confederate General and one is in CA, named after a WW2 General.

Old 11-21-2020, 04:35 AM

636 posts, read 329,744 times
Imagine if in 50 years when there is an economic and strategic reason for America to make nice with Afghanistan and suck up to them, so in the “spirit of reconciliation” we name a few bases after major Taliban fighters, like Fort bin Laden.

And then imagine how people who’s greatgrandmothers and greatgrandfathers died in the 9/11 attacks or died in combat during the subsequent wars would feel a couple decades later upon being assigned to that posting.

And then after all that, imagine someone sitting on their computer saying “Come on and be real; no one ACTUALLY cares about this. It’s just a vocal minority who represent outrage culture trying to stir people up. Where do we draw the line? IT’S HISTORY, PEOPLE!!! What’s next??!!”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.